• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Threading ~~ UPDATED PICS!!

Itsricmo

.30-06
Finally got my barrel sent out too be threaded for chokes.

I sent it out Tuesday evening to a, Mr. Steve Rose, of Rose Action Sports in Kentucky.
First off, Steve is a really nice guy and keeps in contact so you feel pretty good about sending your barrel to a guy who you have never met.

Work to be done:
- Thread my 18.5" Security Barrel to accept Rem Choke System

Cost:
-$120.00 with 3 chokes provided by Steve Rose (IC, Mod and Full)

-$65.00 without the 3 chokes (This is what I am getting done)

** Both prices include returning shipping

He received my barrel Saturday morning and emailed me to let me know, which was nice because USPS never updated my Delivery Confirmation.. He also said he will send me an email once work is completed and my barrel is on it's way back from vacation to be tortured :)

That is all I have to say now, but i will post some pictures later :)
If anybody wants this guys contact information, send me a PM

Re: Barrel Threading

He has good reviews of his work. That's a plus. Pix and report when it gets back from "vacation" ;)

*edit...I moved this topic here for ya. It is a modification. It's on topic as well.
:D

Alrighty! I thank you, Sir! I am never sure where to put something, so I try and put it in the most General location possible haha :)

I am still trying to think of how to get pics of the threading. Considering it is inside the barrel, I may have to experiment a little :p

Sniper might have some pointers about pix. Maybe even Dan, If he isn't too busy.

Hopefully you'll like having the ability to change chokes for different things.

I had a mossberg barrel that had the screw in chokes, and I hated it so bad that I almost sold the gun altogether, but I gave the barrel away just because I hated it so much.

In all honesty, that barrel wouldn't shoot worth anything no matter which choke you had in it and I think it had something wrong with it from the beginning.

When I shoot at the same squirrel 3 times and it doesn't fall, at 20 yards away, something is not right.

John A. said:
In all honesty, that barrel wouldn't shoot worth anything no matter which choke you had in it and I think it had something wrong with it from the beginning.

Sounds like you might have had other problems with the barrel. I've had choke tube in alsmost every shotgun I've owned and have never had an issue.

Rick, looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I've got 1, possibly 2, I would like to get threaded.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Just use a tiny camera... :D

haha Thanks LES!

John, I REALLY hope I don't have that same issue :p I had the original 28" VR Barrel and I loved the chokes but not the length :D I think something was definitely wrong with your barrel, i don't have the slightest idea what.. but something :p

MikeD, I gotta give you a shout out for sending me those choke tubes to try! Thanks man! I will definitely let you know how it goes! If I can figure out a way to get some pictures (perhaps borrow a bore cam) will post pics but I will certainly take it out to see if I can hit what I aim at :)

I would think just an end of the barrel shot would be sufficient. Just try to get enough light down the barrel to see. Depending on the camera and angle of the flash (i.e where it sits relative to the lens it would wash out or cast shadows if you have to get close to your target.

Sometimes taping some paper or frosted pastic over the flash will difuse it enough to prevent it from washing out the shot when close. How much it will take will depend on the strength of the flash on your camera.

For most things like that I try for other forms of light and just snap the pic without using the flash. :idea:

No problemo on the choke tubes.

I will take your ideas and apply them to see what happens! I am going to try my point and shoot and my Iphone. I think the Iphone would wash out like a pro... haha

$65 is fair for good cut-n-thread work on a barrel as long as it's well done. One of my hobbies is trolling for chokes. The package price is not bad but if you snoop around you can do better. Used if not abused works for me. The first time you shoot a new one it's used, eh!?

Well good news Everyone! Barrel work is completed and barrel is back on its way home!!

Anxiously awaiting your review!!

Maybe we can get him to be a site sponsor if your review goes well. 65 dollars is a great price for that job!

Well I just noticed that his Signature in my emails is a link! This guy has his own little site, and he does a lot more than I thought!!

Steve Rose @ Rose Action Sports

http://roseactionsports.com/

Pretty much, so long the Choke tubes fit, my gun shoots without blowing the choke out, and my finish isn't damaged, I'd call it a win. But I am going to do some target practice with it, I have a case of clays asking to be shot :)

I am just as well getting a collection of Card Board for 30" circles from walmart.

UPDATE:

I received my barrel in the mail yesterday, I was on my way to work sadly. Anyhow, Chokes fit, machine work looks GREAT! and the finish is not touched at all!! Pictures are yet to come! I am still trying to figure out the best way to get a good shot and I need to go get groceries before the Miss' gets home ;)

Re: Barrel Threading ~~ UPDATED

Pics or it hasn't happened. LOL

I just noticed your post count is 666. :twisted: Buwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Hey Rick,

Assuming you don't have a tiny camera to use for the photo, with the barrel off of the gun shine a flashlight through it from the back end. This should illuminate the barrel from the inside and make a nice low-angle shot of the threading possible...

Awesome Idea! I shall attempt this briefly to reassure you all that I did have this work done ;)

Here you go boys! Taken with my Iphone 4S:

photo_1-1.jpg

photo_2-1.jpg

photo_4-1.jpg

photo_3-1.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Back