• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OffGrid9

Did a lot of jobs, lived all over. Glad to be retired. I spend as much time as possible on my off-grid property down in a canyon. I enjoy the company of dogs more than most people -- I prefer black labs. At 72, I don't hike as much as I used to, but I still like to get out into the hills, to hunt and fish.

My first firearm was an O. F. Mossberg & Sons model 26B, a tack-driver single-shot .22 my dad bought in 1938. I've still got it, although a stupid wannabe gunsmith, trying to horse out the bolt, put a huge crack in the rear of the action. Pity.

I competed in NRA matches when I was a kid, .22 and .30 cal. Did OK. Over the last 60 years I've spent considerable time on ranges shooting pistols (mostly revolvers), rifles (bolt, trombone, & lever actions), and shotguns (side-by-side & pump, mostly...though my first shotgun in 1957 was a J.C. Higgins Model 10 bolt-action 16 ga, and I did right well with it on clays and quail...cost me $6, 2nd hand...almost new).

I've hunted birds all my life, with varying degrees of success. I've pretended to hunt deer a time or three, but I prefer country where there aren't any other hunters...so there also aren't any deer.:D Oh, well...just being in a blind at dawn in 25 degrees is fun enough, who needs venison, anyway?:rolleyes:

Back in the 80's I had a Mossberg 500 "Combo", a nice pump with 2 barrels (choked vented rib & slug). I got a 3rd barrel, a shortie home-defense rig. Gave it all to my son...he lost it somewhere along the years.

It's nice to finally have a range on my own property, with only one neighbor within 3 miles, and he doesn't mind my shooting...he's seen my range and knows it's safe.

I've wanted a high-cap semi-auto rifle for a while - mostly for plinking and fun, but also to toast a pack of feral dogs that's running deer and cattle. They range up and down the canyon, but well away from my cabin. Last year I tried to nail one with my .308 bolt-action, but it wasn't set up for that distance -- missed my first shot, and it was long gone before I could chamber another round and reacquire the target. So I had a couple of good reasons to want an AR...and I also figured that if the Republicans can once again foul up and manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it might get real tough to buy an AR and ammo for it. So I finally got one, a Mossberg MMR Hunter, black.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it...unless I come down with a sudden attack of Altzheimer's (...or OldTimer"s) syndrome.
Occupation
Retired

Signature

Antonin Scalia understood and loved our Constitution as few others ever have, and fiercely fought those who tried to distort it in the guise of progressive "interpretation". We will miss him.
Back