• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

300 BLK

300 AAC Blackout . .300 AAC BLACKOUT / 300BLK / 7.62X35

Advanced Armament Corporation decided to design a 30 cal round that will from the start be a commercial SAAMI spec round available for manufacture by Commercial ammunition manufacturers. This a philosophy in contrast to the similar 300 Whisper which has been a wild cat round from the start although I understand that may change in future.

The design objectives of AAC were:

Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for the AR platform
Utilise existing inventory magazines unmodified while retaining their full capacity
Create optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire
Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62x39 ballistics
Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles
Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package.

The 300BLK is a .30-caliber round with excellent application in the standard AR platform. The round is used in the standard AR 5.56 magazines (although care should be taken when reloading to observe OALs provided by AAC to enable the round to fit and function properly in the standard AR magazine – this is due to the rim inside the magazine which may influence alignment if the ogive of the bullet does not interface properly with the inside diameter of the magazine.)

The benefit of the 300BLK over the 7.62x39 is the fact that the round fits into the std AR mag due to it very low taper in comparison to the 7,62x39 as well as slightly improved ballistics over the 7,623x39 and a wider variety of bullets.

The benefit of the 300BLK over 7,62x51 is the much lighter platform rifle, lighter recoiling, more controllable and true sub-sonic application possibility.

The 300BLK offers excellent terminal ballistics at South African bush contact ranges of up to 300 meters and would be an excellent high capacity rifle and round combination for anti-poaching units.

Details of South African available powders and reloading data for reloading the 300BLK will be made available as soon as the first rifles and components arrive. It seems that in line with reloading of the 300BLK in supersonic with USA available powders the powder to use would be S221 and for sub-sonic it would be S265.

MUZZLE ENERGY COMPARISONS (courtesy of AAC at http://300aacblackout.com/)

Yes or No, from a newby!?

I think it sounds like a great round on paper. Cost and availability would run me away from it VS. .223/5.56, if I need more that that I am getting out a HP rifle

oli700 said:
I think it sounds like a great round on paper. Cost and availability would run me away from it VS. .223/5.56, if I need more that that I am getting out a HP rifle

Same here.

If you have the cash and are totally dedicated to the AR platform, then go for it. I've tossed the idea around but can't justify it over other platforms if I need more power than the 223/5.56 offers. I liked the .50 Beuwulf cartridge but it seems like everything made to fit the AR platform is just a tad underpowered for what I would use it for or too expensive to buy just to play with. For me, the AR (223/5.56), the AK, and my 30-06 cover all the bases. Now If I win that windfall, all bets are off. LOL

If you do get it, I'd like to hear your review.

Oli700,
Thank you for your post. I like to get more info a this (new) system, that has been intoduced into South Africa. Many of the so-called experienced rifle-men, have sided with this calibre, and it almost seems like a marketing drive for the .300 Black. We've been give a couple of youtube clips, and ballistic penetration clips and marketing stuff...

Does anyone in the States, have hands on trigger time? ;)

Hammer of Thor said:
Does anyone in the States, have hands on trigger time? ;)

I've only had trigger time with the std .223 and the .50 Beuwulf.

Back