• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 vs 464 SPX for Deer Hunting

mitch 2.0

Copper BB
I really like both the 464 and the 464 SPX models but I have a few questions that I hope you all can answer.

Next fall I will be deer hunting for the first time and I am fairly certain that I would like to use a lever action 30 30, most likely the 464. I was curious if anyone knows the length of the stock on the PG 464 and the fully extended 464 SPX.

Also, is the 16" barrel on the SPX enough for deer? And is the reach shorter barrel signficantly shorter than the 464?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Welcome aboard!

I can't provide the specs on the particular stock lengths, but I'm sure one of our 464 SPX owners will be along to help you out.

As far as the barrel length goes, the difference equates to a loss in muzzle velocity on the shorter barrel. I'd have to do a little research on the .30-30 metrics to determine exactly to what degree, but ultimately this means the 16" barrel will have a shorter effective range as it relates to terminal ballistics compared to the longer 20" barrel. The differences are usually evident in the outer reaches of the caliber's range, so I would think the variance in barrel length would begin to have a significant effect around the 150-200yd range in a .30-30.

One other thing to seriously consider is that if the impending firearm legislation that is about to be handed down is passed, due to its retractable stock and other "evil features" the 464 SPX will most certainly be classified an "assault weapon" and subject to any bans written into the new law. Just something to think about...

Thanks for the info Lazy Eye! I think the buttstock potential issue is worth staying away. And with this being my first rifle my gut tells me that I should go the traditional route.

Now I just have to be able to find one! I have called to several lgs and only one has the 464. Unfortunately it doesn't have the pistol grip. Hopefully one with what I am looking for shows up before the end of summer

Ok I know this is an old old post but I couldn't resist.

Also consider how much ribbing and grief you'll get from your deer huntin buddies when they see you with the SPX!

Lots of old Marlin lever guns out there to be had. Just saying.

Lazyeyedsniper, I believe that the only way the retractable stock will be impacted is if there is a pistol grip on the rifle as well. You know, the evil features that obviously kill babies and puppies.

I just got out a ruler and measured LOP on my 464 SPX is 11 3/4" to 15". That Measurement is from back of stock to the the middle of the trigger.

I am not sure of your question if it is enough for deer. If I am to guess, I would think you are completely fine. we used Fusion 150 gr. to rip through the shield of a hog at 50 yards without hesitation and full drop dead.

My sons and I have shared that rifle several hog hunts with great pleasure and success.

I live in an area that still sees a lot of deer killed with the 30-30 Win each year. It possibly is still the predominate cartridge in my area. I know that a lot of rifles chambered in this cartridge where pulled out of the closet this year, along with that 20 year old box of ammo because guys could not buy what they needed for their primary hunting rifle. I have friends that did just that. The 30-30 Win is all my dad has ever hunted with, refuses to shoot anything else. He has taken whitetails, pronghorns, javelina, and feral hogs. No telling how many he has killed.

Back