• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

brand new 4x4 .270, trouble . Misfirings

hosaba

Copper BB
Hi guys I’m from Mexico, I’m new in this forum, And it’s great. (by the way sorry about my english)

I’m having a big trouble with a brand new 4x4 .270 with squeleton synthetic stock.

I bought it back in November 20 (2012). In December took it to hunting place, and in the first shots It started to have lots of misfiring. I was using Hornady bullets, in 40 rounds I had like 30 misfires. After that I used Remington and Winchester bullets and the same problem. I used the same ammos in a .270 Remington 700, and all the ammo shots perfectly.

I already reported it to the Mossberg people in Mexico, and they said that I have to take the rifle to the dealer. This means a problem in Mexico considering that; here we only have one arms store or dealer in the country and its in Mexico city, and I’m in Monterrey City. (Really far). Our laws do not allow us to send arms by postal service. So, take the rifle to the dealer, means to spend time and like $500 dollars in airplane tickets.

My questions is if someone knows what’s happening with the rifle and if it’s something that I can do, without taking it to the dealer?.

I’d like to know if usually Mossberg, brand new rifles comes with defects or problems?, this because I’m thinking that if I will have to take the rifle to the dealer , maybe it would be better to ask for money back and bought a different brand like Remington? What do you think or recommend?

Thanks

I can't offer much advice on the 4x4 but welcome to the forum!!

First, Welcome Aboard.

What do the primers look like? Could be an issue with the bolt, did you clean everything before taking it out to shoot? If you have the skeletonized stock the rifle was made a few years ago, factory grease could have the bolt all gunked up by now causing the firing pin not to strike the primers.

Thanks ,
Yes Before using it I cleaned all the factory grease. After the failure I disassembled the bolt and cleaned it.
When occurs the misfiring, the primers shows that the firing pin isn’t hitting well, because it shows just a little punch on it, not so deep.

Another thread on here somewhere mentions that on his the bolt wasn't closing the whole way. It was against the stock somehow. Could this be a possibility? If so, that would be an easy fix.

Back