• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Case trimming and Primer pocket de-crimp

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
What tools are you guys using to prep your cases?

I considered getting a Dillon 600 Swage tool to de-crimp the primer pockets because it looked like the most efficient tool/method for doing that. But they sure are proud of it.

As for case trimming, the little crow WFT would work well for 223 and 300 blackout both since they have dedicated inserts for each and those are my main 2 rifle calibers I'm starting to load.

Are there better, or more efficient ways to prep cases in bulk?

I think these are the last two major tools that I am lacking to get started, but wanted idea's and opinions from those who have been doing this much longer than I have.

I use a WFT in a press for bulk 223. Everything else I do in a lathe . For the military crimp I use the deburr tool

Rcbs swager, and Lee quick trim die. Only downside is you have to buy the quick trim die body for each caliber you shoot. That's fairly standard for all trimmers though I suppose. The "standard" quick trim cutter just trims cases, the "deluxe" (only a few bucks more) has an insert for deburr/chamfer.

The die body uses your press to hold the case. So takes up a little less real estate on the bench.

I use a Frankford Arsenal case trimmer. It trims the case, de-burrs inside and outside and cleans the primer pocket. They now have accessories that will trim a crimped primer pocket. You can process a lot cases in a very short time.

this thread is a perfect example that reloading is very much a march to your own beat activity.
In these days with video reviews and such you can see everything being used . Its a matter of what you want to put into it.
For me it is bare minimum.
I load for the least I can.
I can afford more but I guess a couple hours of work is cheap to me . Like the primer crimp for instance.
One day I was like " I need to do a bunch of these Lake City, I am all out of non crimp brass".......For some reason I just picked up the deburr tool and stuck it in a primer hole , turned it three times, looked at it and said " looks like its gone....doesn't look like it reached the bottom of the hole", I ran it over and a primer slid right in, just right resistance I thought.........looked right to me.
I went back to the pile of sized and trimmed brass , thought "I am going to sit here and do this until I get sick of it".....I did 500 , next day did another 500......never a problem, no accuracy issues all my MOA and sub are done this way
I take that 1000 brass and reload them so many times it isnt funny, a couple hours with the deburr tool, you only take the crimp off once , reload that shell 7 times, sometimes more till the neck cracks then its gone......but that's me, some folks will spend hundreds to do it in a half hour.....
Now if I made a living shooting then yeah, I would spend the bucks because as it stands I burn mass ammo, I couldn't imagine what a serious competitor goes through.

Back