• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cast Bullets

Stever

Copper BB
Is anyone reloading for their 30-30? If so, what bullet are you using? When the next run of 464s hits the beaches, I want to pick one up and use cast bullets in it. We have a company called the Bullet Barn and they offer 165 gr. .309s. They don't have GCs, but are hard cast.

Anyone?

03-30-RNFP-DLG-BB-165gr-lg.jpg

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Stever !!

I'm not into reloading 30-30, but someone will be along shortly to answer your question...

Stever~ Welsome to the board! Glad you found us, and we truly hope you'll stay and settle in and contribute lots more!

Man, to be in Canada in the fall with a lever .30-30 rifle in my hands. That would be the life. :cool:

I've loaded a bullet very similar to that (Lyman #311041) which is a gas-checked 173-gr with the exact same profile. That bullet was originally designed around the .30-30 cartridge so I really think the one you're considering would shoot quite accurately. I suspect that adding a gas check to your proposed bullet would bump the weight to nearly 173-grains, and of course varying alloys would vary the weight by several grains. So I think that the bullet you showed is virtually identical to the #311041 except with a different base.

The Mossberg 464 Rifle uses button rifling so it should handle cast bullets with ease. As to your bullet, without the gas check and until you see how well the lube holds out for the full length of the barrel, I would probably start with a load that pushes around 1700~1750 feet per second. Then see how it goes from there. My father-in-laws .30-30 liked a cast bullet right up around 1800-fps over my chrono but faster than that the accuracy dropped and there was no benefit. Besides, he didn't hunt with cast bullets anyway (He buys Rem Core-Lokt ammo for deer). I've used Reloader 7 but there are a few other powders that are great for cast bullets!

I'm glad to see another reloader on board. Thanks for your question. :D

Hello to all.

The bullet is made from a mould made by Magma Engineering. The meplat is perfect for hunting. You can alox these non GC bullets if the lube isn't enough, but it's an extra step. I'm hoping for 1800 to 1900 fps, which 28-29 gr. of either of the 4895s will deliver. Sighted in 1.5 inches high @ 100 yd and you're good for the distances where I hunt.

stever~

I believe it would be a tremendously effective bullet profile for hunting, particularly on heavy deer such as are found in your beautiful country. Whitetails where I grew up (Ohio/West Virginia/Pennsylvania corner) were really big and I would have no problem with a deeply penetrating bullet like that Magma Engineering solid. I thought starting loads at 1750 would lead to 1800 or higher so we are in agreement there.

I like to shoot LLA coated bullets, it's an extra step but it just plain works.

I'd buy those bullets and load 'em without hesitation, pardner!

Nitesite said most of what I know about cast bullets. One other thing I would suggest is don't seat the base of the bullet below the case neck/shoulder and into the body of the case. From what I have read this causes more bullet erosion, leading, and poorer accuracy. I also try to limit mine to 1600 to 1700 ft/sec because I am using a Marlin with a micro grooved barrel.

Back