• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deposited on a Plinkster today

mingaa

Raconteur
Been looking at 22 rifles and pistols recently, limited budget that I currently have. Found a lightly used Plinkster at a favorite LGS this afternoon for $130 - black synthetic. I should have it in hand in a few days and am looking at scope, sling and mag options. I have some thoughts - input appreciated! Shot a lot of 22s but never owned one. This may get my wife to the range with me as well. She wants to shoot her father's (and his before him) Browning Auto5 but knows that a 12G shotgun is probably not the est starting place.

3-9 sounds good. If it blocks iron sights I was looking at 1.5 or 2 as the low magnification as well balancing the high end that i could get vs cost What is the effective range? I don't know Simmons (not a lot of rifle experience) - price is good and they have good features AND I trust your judgement. who has them at best prices??

Beyond rest I'm also thinking of standing or seated shooting with the aid of a sling. Been looking at those techniques and what might work well for that. Btw - it's a 4 pound gun as-is!

Ooh! Just caught your link to Optics Planet!
List price: $70.95
Price: $43.99 <<<<<<<<!

I have a Bushnell 1.5 -4.5 x 32 on the AR but this looks sweet...

I do most of my shoot'n with that set-up at 50-100yd, but the 9x magnification is capable of reaching out much further. If you're thinking about something with a little less magnification take a look around the site I linked. There are a ton of rimfire options out there and most are relatively inexpensive...

Congrats.

I like 3-9 for most applications. I tend to leave it at 3 or 4 most of the time but it's nice to be able to zoom in a little for longer shots or just to check the target if you don't have spotting scope. :D

MikeD said:
Congrats.

I like 3-9 for most applications. I tend to leave it at 3 or 4 most of the time but it's nice to be able to zoom in a little for longer shots or just to check the target if you don't have spotting scope. :D
Yes - I see a that others report the use as a 'spotting scope' as well - better to have too much scope than not enough.

Mossberg Intnl. looks like a good place to get more mags at $12 ea. Anywhere else I should know about? I see the 25 round available but it seems out of proportion with the small 4lb Plinkster and I'm seeing mediocre to bad reviews. Yes?!

Depends on what they charge you for shipping, but $12 is the best unit price can find. I'd definitely avoid the 25 rounders unless you're just itching to experiment a little. They seem to be the cause of a lot of frustration...

For as small as the gun is and how I will be using it a fistful of 10s will serve me just fine

Earlier today I realized that my Vortex SPARC 2moa red dot is free - sitting in its box so I ordered (eBay) a UTG dovetail to pictatinny mount. The SPARC has 4 mounting height options and I'll probably pick the gun up Monday and see what I can set up. The Taurus Armed site guys have recently added rifle classes to the monthly shootout. If all goes well i'll give them some trouble with a Mossy in rimfire classes. I own a 709 pocket 9 Taurus but usually bring it with the Glocks, and Kahr. Now I'm in with an SKS and the AR DPMS. The Plinkster with a good red dot should perform well in a couple of 25 & 50 yd. standing classes. We'll see! Hehe.

Very cool.

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how that goes. It's a lot easier to concentrate on shot placement when you don't have to deal with any recoil...

The Marlin with the internal 14 round mag (and available speed loaders) and the Ruger 10/22 were high on the list - I shot my neighbor' Ruger (old school iron sights) last week then shot next to a guy with a Marlin and a nice scope. I had 1.5-4.5 on my DPMS and he had a fatty that had to be 10+ with big light and he was (just ) out shooting me at 100 yds. When I stopped in my LGS and was talking 22s they offered me the used (looks new) Plinkster at a good price - bingo, game over. Let the the rimfire fun begin.

It's here. The gun shop gave it a once over before putting it in the case. I took it down and it has no real signs use or wear. A 99% gun. The Dovetail to Picatinny adapter works but needs a set screw in place - thus the high mount (room for the screw overhang). The setup blocks the iron sights. This will get me to the range to get started with it. Another black gun joins the pack!

8214142897_20da42536a.jpg

Phone pic - apologies! :D

Thanks LES! Looks like that will be Wednesday - sight in, see what ammo does what ( got a selection ready) - hope to post some passable targets.

Also got my eye on some Simmons 3-9 Mag scopes on eBay at decent prices, some lightly used that I might nick if I keep an eye out.

I'm sure you'll have some great patterns to post up. My little .22 rifles have always impressed me with their potential for accuracy...

Back