• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Detroiters wait six hours for 911 response

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
A perfect example of why people need to take their personal protection seriously and not depend on 911 to provide instantanious support.

Detroiters wait six hours for police to respond to desperate calls to 911

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/detroiters ... z2VA3Rrt59

DETROIT (WXYZ) - "You honestly want us to kill these people?" is what Fionn (last name withheld) wants to know from city officials in charge of staffing levels at the Detroit Police Department after Fionn and his partner, Charles, made repeated calls to 911.

They say they waited six hours for police to respond to their desperate calls for help after a woman busted into their home behind Charles as he was walking back inside around 2:00 a.m. Thursday morning.

The woman was saying she needed help because someone was trying to kill her.

Fionn and Charles immediately saw someone drive an older champagne-colored Buick LeSabre onto their front lawn. Seconds later, a strange man peered through a small window in their front door that was now locked.

It was chaotic as Charles yelled to Fionn to "get the gun."

Charles fired the rusty small caliber gun into the air as Fionn pulled the woman out of the house through the back door.

They suspected her plea for help was phony and part of a plot to get access to the house so she and the man could rob them.

Once outside the house, Fionn and Charles told the woman to leave and they ran and hid in some bushes behind the garage of a vacant house.

The woman walked walked off.

Fionn estimates that he called 911 ten times. The calls began with him whispering and hiding the light of his cellphone because they feared the people might spot them in their hiding place.

They also feared someone might still be inside their house.

Then, the champagne-colored Buick drove by once.

After about 30 minutes of hiding in the bushes, Fionn and Charles went to a neighbor's house until sunrise.

Approximately six hours after their first calls to 911, police officers arrived. Finally.

"Six hours," cried Charles. "When you dial 911, you expect someone to show up in a reasonable amount of time... That's unreasonable."

Fionn and Charles say the responding officers were very professional and apologetic when telling them that their shift was just starting and that the district had been very busy.

A DPD spokesperson tells 7 Action News that there was an overwhelming backlog of high-priority runs overnight and just not enough manpower to keep up.

Fionn and Charles are now considering a move to Ferndale.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/detroiters ... z2VA2cIUJy
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/detroi...r-police-to-respond-to-desperate-calls-to-911

While I haven't heard of any reports of response times being 6 hours, I made up my mind long ago that even 6 minutes was too long when you needed help.

I have heard some people say that if you live in a rural area, response times can be excessively long due to a myriad of reasons, but it can be excessive in urban area's as well as this has clearly shown.

Supreme Court says that the police are not required to protect you.

Time and time again, the supreme court has upheld that you can protect yourself when your life or property is threatened.

You need to ask yourself some serious questions.

Are you going to be a

Victim?
or
Survivor?

A protector of family and self?
or
an easy target?

Someone attacking you and/or your family, if given a choice between a cell phone or a gun...which would you choose?

Six seconds can be too long if somone is knocking down your door. And that response is never going to happen even in the absolute best of scenarios.

Most of us here understand this but a lot of people still trust the system will save them in their time of need.

Sad but true. That's why I already had the talk with my wife. She calls 911, I'm getting the 590A1 and defending my family. As the old saying goes "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." In this case hours away. Pathetic.

MikeD said:
Six seconds can be too long if somone is knocking down your door. And that response is never going to happen even in the absolute best of scenarios.

Most of us here understand this but a lot of people still trust the system will save them in their time of need.
Those people can eventually be part of a group called victims. Can't agree with you more Mike.

MikeD said:

Many people still live on the banks of that Egyptian river - De Nile. They are psychologically incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. They don't know how, and don't want to learn how. They sincerely believe that all people are inherently good, because to believe otherwise would shatter their entire belief system. They usually live sheltered lives and deliberately avoid anything, or anyone, that might shake them out of their bubble of self assured rightousness.

It isn't going to get any better up there. The jackass police chief from Cincinnati is taking the vacated position in Detroit. He's about a good a cop as obamination is at being POTUS (I know, cheap shot but it felt good). Refuses to maintain his certifications, wants to talk all day and make no changes, etc. A politician in a uniform...

OhioArcher said:
The jackass police chief from Cincinnati is taking the vacated position in Detroit. He's about a good a cop as obamination is at being POTUS (I know, cheap shot but it felt good). Refuses to maintain his certifications, wants to talk all day and make no changes, etc. A politician in a uniform...

Was he the one featured on one of those mail order college program commercials a while back?

Back