• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Easy and Cheap Bipod Install

Z

zain5505

Hey guys, I just picked up a new Mossberg Plinkster 802 Bolt Action from Sports Authority for $119 and I wanted to trick it out with a bipod and scope but didn't want to order the Harris bipod adapter that VitSports6 used: http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2647

I will show ya'll how to install a swivel stud for a bipod without ordering a specific kit for hollow stocks. I'm not going to show how to remove the stock; refer to VitSport6's thread if you need help with that.

First off, make sure your rifle is not loaded, remove the magazine, engage the safety, etc. I will not be held responsible for your stupidity! :lol:

My Plinkster, Tasco 50mm scope, Winchester bipod, TOC swivel bases from Gander Mountain, bracket from Lowes, and some scope rings.
IMG-20120505-00530edit.jpg

IMG0081edit.jpg

IMG007edit.jpg

The swivel bases from Gander Mountain were only 5 bucks and the bracket was 79 cents. 6 bucks total for a swivel stud, not bad!

Here we can see how the bracket fits perfect in the second opening, almost as if it were made for it.
IMG059edit.jpg

Drill your hole specific to whatever stud/base kit you have and make sure you use a machine stud and not a wood screw type. The machine stud will have a nut to hold it on there and the bracket will further distribute any pressure making sure it doesn't rip right out. I also placed some Locktite on the thread to make sure the nut doesn't come lose.
IMG-20120505-00532edit.jpg

Here's the finished product. I decided to go with a 32mm Bushnell scope.
IMG-20120506-00541edit.jpg

Looks great!
FWIW, The Harris Stud Flange was less than $8.00, Now its $9.00...
I have tried to get my daughter to go shooting with us, But she seems to always have some other thing going on...
Best of luck to you.

Zain5505, I was wondering if you could help me out with some exact part names and part numbers? I would like to do this same mod to the same gun I just got for two daughters. I got them a 702 Plinkster for Christmas and I learned after their first day shooting it that they really need this mod. I see it is a Winchester bipod, but after searching Walmart.com I noticed there are SEVERAL Winchester bipod models available. All I need is the Winchester bipod model number and the name of that mount bracket kit and it's part number so I can google where to get it. Thanks for any help. Daron.

Hi Daron.
I'm not sure you will receive an answer from Zain as he only has two posts and it looks like he may not post often.
In the first post is a link to my bipod instal.
What type of stock do you have? Plastic, wood? I used this swivel stud kit, if you find anything similar it should work on a plastic stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/934186 ... ends-black

For the bipod, it's entirely up to you as to how tall you want it to stand, just make sure you get the type that mounts to a swivel stud as there are quite a few different types out there.
Best of luck! If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help as I can.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up following his embedded link to your install thread and I ordered your same set-up, through Amazon. The adapter mount has already shipped and the bipod I would imagine should ship no later than today. I have basically the same gun you two have, except it was the auto feed model, but it looks the same, a 702 Plinkster (black). Thanks for the help, hopefully I can have it installed for shooting next weekend. They'll have to use sandbags again this weekend, lol.

VitSports6 said:
Hi Daron.
I'm not sure you will receive an answer from Zain as he only has two posts and it looks like he may not post often.
In the first post is a link to my bipod instal.
What type of stock do you have? Plastic, wood? I used this swivel stud kit, if you find anything similar it should work on a plastic stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/934186 ... ends-black

For the bipod, it's entirely up to you as to how tall you want it to stand, just make sure you get the type that mounts to a swivel stud as there are quite a few different types out there.
Best of luck! If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help as I can.

Good thread. I have both 802 and 702 but had not thought about a bipod on either. Now I have to think about it. Have bipods on a few others.

Back