• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Game Vector Deer Recovery System

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Saw this and found it interesting. A little pricey but if you have ever lost an animal, it's worth a look.

I've like to see/hear a little more about how it affects arrow flight but I definitely see potential here.

Game Vector – Deer Recovery System is a revolutionary new product designed to aid the bow hunter in locating mortally wounded game when traditional tracking techniques fail. It consists of a miniature transmitter housed in a small ultra light, aerodynamic, totally balanced module called the HideRider which is easily attached to the arrow. Upon Impact the HideRider transmitter is released from the arrow and the unit starts to transmit. The hunter, using the compact receiver can find and recover the downed game.

game-vector.com

I'm not a bow hunter but that is really cool!!

Guess a fella could use that to track the daughters boyfriend after you shoot him in the arse for bringing her home late. He runs for it and you can find the bugger and finish the job!!:eek:

Pretty amazing the crap some folks will come up with. Just like fishing lures that are meant to catch fishermen not fish.

Several problems arise with this gizmo. How do you tune your bow to this kit? I see they have practice modules...hopefully, they are the same weight as the transmitter.

Second, the effective range of your setup decreases when weight goes up. The FOC of this arrow set up has to be extremely high...most broadheads are 100 or 125 grains. This thing adds 45 grains to the front of you arrow. Your sight pins are going to spread pretty wide regardless of what the website states. Adding weight to the front of you arrow can and will cause it to drop faster and slow the arrow down.

Also, adding 45 grains to your arrow may mean that you need new arrows due the arrow's spine (stiffness). If you are shooting a marginally weak spined arrow, this will make it much weaker and flight will be affected much more.

Everything depends on penetration in bowhunting. Three orings behind the transmitter are not going to let the arrow slide thru it and penetration will be significantly decreased. Not such a good idea. The whole purpose is to kill an animal as quickly as possible. This is not going to help.

Ok, I'll stop. I don't think this gizmo will go anywhere especially given the price point. Practice and shoot a good shot and this thing won't be needed.

I think you could offset the weight of the device a bit by reducing the weight of the broadhead; granted this may be an issue if you are already using a light broadhead. Aerodynamics would definitely be different and planing would be my biggest concern. There would definitely be some tuning needed for this which would make it difficult to switch back and forth.

For hunting I've always opted for heavy and slow over light and fast.

If you did not get a pass through with this I think the animal could pull it out as it tries to pull the arrow out. Also if the shot is not fatal, the animal now has your $50 transponder attached to it indefinitely.

I can see it used more for crossbows than compounds or trad bows. Arrow spine is less of an issue with them. I'm not sure it will stay attached tot he faster bows (350+ fps).

I see potential in it, esp if they can bring the price down. Hopefully they can also reduce the size and weight of the transponder.

I'd honestly like to try it, esp with turkey season coming up fast (they are harder to track than a deer, esp if they fly a bit.

I used, and still use , the old style string trackers with my compound. Those definitely had their downfalls as well but many a deer/bear in our group has been found as a result. I may share this with my hunting buds, if we can share the initial cost for the receiver then the cost of the transponders does not seem quite as bad. If I try it out I'll post back here with my findings. I'd like to find some other reviews though.

Back