• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Great Deal gone bad....Not but actually need help

Armordude

Copper BB
I got a great deal on a 930 SPX for $400 gently used. Brought it home and cleaned every nook and cranny. The previous owner must have been using shot shells with power mixed with mud!

There was still cozmo/delivery oil in the receiver, bolt and carrier. Magazine tube was gunky as well.

I pulled out the piston and it was crusted. Because of this, I was smart(yea that's the word....smart :oops: ) I pulled apart the front of the gas block as well. It was pretty gummed up as well. Now the bad part(I did say that I was smart, right? :shock: )

Obviously there is a special tool to get the gas ring, spring and cap compressed and back on. The spring is way too stiff to compress everything and get the threads engaged by hand.

Does anyone know what the tool is and where I can get it? or what steps I need to preform to get it back together short of sending it to Texas to have Mossberg do it?

Here are the photos

this photo shows the complete system dissembled
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/ ... ASmall.jpg

This photo shows a close up of the troublesome components.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/ ... bSmall.jpg

Here is another question:
What does the spring actually do? I mean there is nothing else that is contacts other than a internal hard stop on the other side of flange where the gas ports are drilled. It is just compressed against a hard stop in the gas block. I first thought it was an internal dampener, but it cant be as there is nothing that moves once compressed other than the spring it self.

Any help would be appreciated

Respectfully

Mark
Certified Glock Armorer

There are a couple people on here who will really be able to get you pointed in the right direction! Youre in good hands! ;)

Otherwise, I have a go-to girl. If you dont hear anything back by tomorrow, I'll get a hold of her!

Back