• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun Shows - still worthwhile or too risky?

Husker88

.270 WIN
Elite Member
While driving back to the house this morning I saw a couple of signs posted at two different intersections: "Gun Show @__________, Fri, Sat Sun" The location is someplace that I would not go at night, but it's OK during the day. But.....

With all the recent AFTE "rules" and reports of federal agents almost outnumbering actual customers, is it still worth trying to pick something up at a show? Other local shows have been largely non-gun merchants, and those selling actual 2A items have ridiculous expectations on pricing.

This is for the greater Kansas City Area - I'm not sure how things are where you are.

I had thought about going just to see if I can pick out the feds in the crowd. :)

I stopped going to local gun shows and most other "trade' shows a few years ago when it became apparent that the majority of the vendors were only there to sell "related" and I use the term loosely, overpriced junk.

I think it's better today to build up a relationship with established local gun dealers and gunsmiths. I keep a list of interest items with a local gunsmith who beyond normal gunsmithing buys and trades weapons, including estate sales. Every once in a while I get a call saying we might have something you're interested in. I seldom buy any new weapons, especially at today's prices.

Given the pictures I've seen online of the feds intermixing with the general populas I'd think it would be easy to spot them in the crowd or see them telling someone they have a good deal just for you. I also wonder if these trade shows now have government facial recognition cameras that are building a data base of all the attendees?

Regards

I haven't been to a show in a while. Last time I picked up a bag of about fifty 32-20 (32WCF) for my uncle's 1873. About $1/rd "new" reloads, functioned fine. I would go before they are a thing of the past... :(

As far as "loopholes" that is f**king bullsh*t! NO ONE will sell you a gun inside the show without a BGC. Now, you MIGHT be able to buy (or sell) a gun in the parking lot, and that itself would create risk for both. Buyer might be buying a stolen gun or seller might get jacked or sell to a felon.

Back