• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HAM radio, anyone?

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Welcome to 2020 grandpa :oldman:just go with the program, I simply crammed for 3 days and got it done. Id probably fail it today. Hopefully you find a test available asap and open the Pandora's box its fun having a new hobby to explore.
Lol.... ill deal i suppose.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

meanstreak

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
I used to have a ham operator as a neighbor back in the 70s. I was into CB at the time, a whole different world. He used to be up late at night talking , or coding, to people hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles away. If I remember Ham, I think it is shortwave, can skip off the ionosphere when conditions are right. I might have some of the details wrong but the basics are there.

Anyways, he had this antenna on a 50 or 60 foot tower. It dominated his back yard.

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
I'm kinda looking into getting into this, as of about 5 minutes ago hehe. Anyone know where I could get some good information? Just kinda looking for an overview of the hobby before I dive into the details. Also, is there a decent radio under $100? I'm looking for about 10-15 miles at least, just to monitor and coordinate with local traffic. If I can modify it to increase performance the better.
Really just looking for ways to better my prepping repertoire, if you've read my CBRN thread you know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: when I say modify I really mean the ability to fit different antennas without chopping the thing apart.

Last edited:

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Information is life in a crisis, Comms provide information. Get aggressive on your journey. Id surely get that Ham ticket sooner than later. Depending your location ,,ie the repeater network in your area GMRS license is fast and easy and covers entire family. In my area GMRS network is very solid for a longggg way multistates via a simple handheld repeater capable radio.
I encourage to get that ham ticket and the GMRS license both.
Reach me on the airwaves KO4EDK
Dave out

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
Information is life in a crisis, Comms provide information. Get aggressive on your journey. Id surely get that Ham ticket sooner than later. Depending your location ,,ie the repeater network in your area GMRS license is fast and easy and covers entire family. In my area GMRS network is very solid for a longggg way multistates via a simple handheld repeater capable radio.
I encourage to get that ham ticket and the GMRS license both.
Reach me on the airwaves KO4EDK
Dave out
I live in LA so the repeater network is fairly extensive, if anything were to happen I would likely try to get out of the Basin into the High Desert somewhere and wait it out. The network up there seems pretty good too, Victorville has a ton. That's Edwards AFB country, lots of Air Force guys up there.
What radio do you recommend? I'm looking for something cheap but reliable, handheld is actually preferred for portability.

Last edited:

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
I haven't had a transmitter since the 70's, it was just CB, 5 watts, and I never was legal.
but, up in the Rockies I could skip all over the country.
Literally, from Utah to Florida or Mexico on just 5 watts.

I had a basic radio from Radio Shack and one of those whips that knock down lightbulbs, on the roof.

I got such good results that I never bothered to boost the signal or anything else.

Then I moved to California, which was impossibly cluttered, and gave it all up.

I did own a shortwave receiver, but then the internet came along . . .

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I live in LA so the repeater network is fairly extensive, if anything were to happen I would likely try to get out of the Basin into the High Desert somewhere and wait it out. The network up there seems pretty good too, Victorville has a ton. That's Edwards AFB country, lots of Air Force guys up there.
What radio do you recommend? I'm looking for something cheap but reliable, handheld is actually preferred for portability.
Like guns maybe worse, radio recommendations online can get testy......,,,,, so il give ya a link to watch and enjoy.
I will also say I started HAM with a Baofeng (cheap china) uvfxp and a yeasu 4x??. I sold the Yeasu , I own 4 Baoefeng tribands(cheap) and 3 Kenwoods(not cheap) those are all 2M and 70M capable the baefengs have some other freq abilities also..
For GMRS we bought 4 BTECH dualbands.
Plan on antenna upgrading to include a roof mount for vehicle use, your car is a Faraday cage for handheld they will work and i still do it but a roof antenna really gives ya better ears and legs.

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter

Ps if ya are remotely addictive personality disorder HAM is dangerous. 2 years ago I had nothing, now I think 11 handheld, 2 of my vehicles with mobile mount radios n them, a base unit in house with a big antenna outside, plans for another base unit in house this year and hopefully our own repeater on property LOL

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
Like guns maybe worse, radio recommendations online can get testy......,,,,, so il give ya a link to watch and enjoy.
I will also say I started HAM with a Baofeng (cheap china) uvfxp and a yeasu 4x??. I sold the Yeasu , I own 4 Baoefeng tribands(cheap) and 3 Kenwoods(not cheap) those are all 2M and 70M capable the baefengs have some other freq abilities also..
For GMRS we bought 4 BTECH dualbands.
Plan on antenna upgrading to include a roof mount for vehicle use, your car is a Faraday cage for handheld they will work and i still do it but a roof antenna really gives ya better ears and legs.
Thanks, I watched most of it and then things started getting way out of my price range. I think I'll probably be looking at a Baofeng right now, I like the UV-82 because it's 8w, they're only slightly more expensive than the UV-5R right now. Definitely looking at new antennas, looks like I could get a decent 16" whip for about $10 and car antennas for the same price as well as battery adapters. Might be able to put together a decent budget setup to start reaching some of the local repeaters, something to add to my bug out gear.

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
Bobster, CB is still alive. Probably not like the 70s.

That would be a good thing. By 75, in CA, a CB was almost useless on the highway without sidebands.

Lots of high power transmission was just blanking anyone out of your immediate vision, and that was choppy.

I built an (by then quite archaic) Motorola hand-soldered vacuum tube AM radio Kit when I was a paperboy, about 1968. There were transistor circuit boards back then, but this had a traditional heavy steel chassis with Bakelite sockets and stand-off soldering lugs.

I had an obsolete oscilloscope bought for $20 from a neighbor, and a small VOM from the Shack, $13 new. Could not afford the coveted VTVM in 1969.

I had sold that AM radio at the swap meet about 1982.

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Interesting this came back up. I had started researching ham radio some time ago and just pulled the certification study guide off the bookshelf the other night.

Thinking of finally following through with it.

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
I havnt given up on getting mine. Just havnt found time to prep. Although with current events its bumped up the priorities list a little bit. It didn't make my goal list for 2021, I think it will be on my goal list for 22.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
Ps if ya are remotely addictive personality disorder HAM is dangerous. 2 years ago I had nothing, now I think 11 handheld, 2 of my vehicles with mobile mount radios n them, a base unit in house with a big antenna outside, plans for another base unit in house this year and hopefully our own repeater on property LOL

What kind of output power are you allowed to have on those mobile units?