• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lever mossy 30-30s

I am a fairly new mossberg owner. I love lever guns and recently traded for a model 472 and a 464. Both had a problem that i repaired myself. The problems were both caused by previous owners. Iown a new lever gun brand x. Since i got the 464 i havent picked brand x back up. After shooting both brands i love my mossberg 464 i do not understand why the mossy doesnt get more respect

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy's.

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your impressions of Mossberg's lever guns. Good to know you're enjoying them. Oh, and feel free to mention other brands by name if you'd like. We don't sensor that stuff around here...

Well, if you manage to figure it out let us know. I've been roaming the halls of this forum for years and I still just make it up as I go...

Would like to try a mossberg lever gun one day.
Am a Marlin lever gun guy all the way. Love them.

@Oak Valley shooter...

So what was the problem & how did you solve it?
(my 464 is balky & getting worse.)
Sorry learning how to use this forum. Spring collapsed on the old model 472 and it had never been lubed. The cocker had a small tit worn off it so i tacked it back hand filed and replaced a worn pin works like new traded for a 464 beautiful gun someone had put the orange plastic cup in backwards where you load it causing it to jam. The 464 imo is a much better gun than the Marlin

Sorry learning how to use this forum. Spring collapsed on the old model 472 and it had never been lubed. The cocker had a small tit worn off it so i tacked it back hand filed and replaced a worn pin works like new traded for a 464 beautiful gun someone had put the orange plastic cup in backwards where you load it causing it to jam. The 464 imo is a much better gun than the Marlin
Sorry to answer ur question i use gun grease from wally world in a little tube my action is smooth. I take things apart but some people use spray lube to rinse them out or get to the tough to reach places. Just dont get it in the bore

It looks like most of my gun's balkyness has been solved by just polishing the bolt & it's bearing points in the receiver.

I think the bolt has too little leverage on the hammer when it cocks, making the bolt feel stiff when it's not.

I'm considering a mod for this that adds to the hammer. I want to just torch some brass on the hammer and start filing until I get the shape I think it needs to move easier against the bolt. Unfortunately mossberg won't sell me a spare hammer because I'm not a real gunsmith. I'd hate to have to carve one from solid bar stock :oops:

OK I haven't broken out the torch yet, but I did study this gun a lot more, and found several burrs to dress off here and there, but two other things of significance came to light.

One was the roughness in the t-slot of the "link". Mossberg calls it the link, but I call it the trap door, and it drops out the bottom of the receiver when you rack the lever open. The slot retains the bolt lock, and lifts it up to lock the bolt. Here's the slot from the rear:

tslot.jpg

and the top of the slot showing tool marks from a mill.

toolmarks.jpg

I dressed those tool marks off with a fine file, and dressed the bottom of the lock, where it had been roughened by the marks.
I de-burred the bolt rails a little, and put it back together with some oil.

This gun will rack smoothly, loaded or unloaded now, if there is oil on the underside of the bolt.
As soon as that oil is gone, the bolt lock wants to hang under the bolt, and the bolt drags on the hammer as well.

So if you oil it, you can jack the action fast about ten times, Smooth as Silk.
BUT it flings/scrapes off all the oil under the bolt.
On the next round the lever hangs while closing the action.

I had dressed the underside corner of the bolt which helped too.

Anyhow, It used to hang on the 4th or 5th cycle, and now it's much better. but it still needs work.

Also, all the parts on this gun look very well made except this one. I'm pressing it in with a tiny screwdriver.:

safetyup.jpg

This is the grip safety tang, but mossberg calls it the trigger stop. Here it is "safed" (extended)
safety.jpg

Anyhow, this thing is stamped from sheet & is rough as a cob. It was digging against the lever, causing the grip safety to hang.

I dressed it off a bit & it's much better, but it really needs to be replaced with a piece of shaped billet.

BTW, in the photo above I have already scraped and filed the mill marks a little smoother. I didn't get a photo of mine "raw". Plus I've broken mine in with over 70 rounds. I'm going to check a brand new one out in the gun store & see if the slot is as rough as mine was.

Also, in the photos directly above, I have already scraped and filed the trigger stop somewhat. It was visibly more ragged around the edges when new. It appeared to be stamped in a worn die, or one with excess clearance. The stamping burr or flash was digging into the lever, AND the back of the trigger on every round.

It is appalling that they let stuff leave the factory like they do. Sad, very sad.

I watched Marlin go down the tubes, it just amazes me how some can screw up such a iconic American name.

Gun sales are probably so brisk they can sell anything.

It's called pride. Workmanship, honor, integrity in what you do. Corporate world has squeezed every bit of the above right out the window with thin margins and corporate greed. What was once a manufacturing powerhouse of a country, now farms everything out overseas.

Now, I will say that Miroku made firearms in Japan builds better firearms then any manufacturer in America today.

Sorry for my rant, I am just so upset about the state of our country, what we were, where we are now, and where we are headed.

I stripped the 464 down again tonight, and worked on the action a little more.
I smoothed those tool marks off, and dressed the bolt lock on both ends a little
Effectively I've shortened the bolt lock slightly, and now it doesn't strike the underside of the bolt on it's flat surface quite as soon.

I relieved the really square edges on the top of the bolt lock as well.

Anyhow, the action is again improved, but it's still not what I would wish.
Some guns just have "character", and I've done my very best to file all the character off of this one. :D

Back