• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Life is good

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
What is one of the most satisfying things that you can see on a piece of land that you try to manage?

That the circle of life is still going.

I got this picture off of my trail cam today, and I liked seeing the little poults.

trailcam72014051_zpsf75444fb.jpg

Very Nice!! Love to see the turkey's. Deer are alot easier to manage but keeping birds on your property takes alot more. Ive had turkeys on my place from time to time, they just dont stay.
I'd rather have them that the deer LOL!

That's awesome John, love seeing the little turkeys.

Do you have many coon in the area? The biologist here said that raccoon are the single greatest predator of both turkey eggs and small turkeys. Once they are big enough to fly, man is is their top predator.

I used to have a lot of raccoon. But then the coyotes moved in and took out almost everything, then I had to take out the coyotes.

How do you like the Hunten Cam?

It's still too early too tell yet. I only got it last Wednesday and yesterday was the first time checking it.

The (two) that I got was a package deal from sportsmansguide (2 for $59), which is about what I was paying for one of the cheap trail cams at walmart which was the main reason why I bought it. Here's a link to the camera set.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...oors-2mp-strobe-flash-trail-cameras?a=1675093

I think the company has discontinued the camera's like I got due to going with IR flash now because I didn't see them listed on their website any more (these still have the regular camera flasher), but despite what a lot of people will say, I have taken thousands of pictures in the same location over the years with a regular flash type bulb and it doesn't spook the animals.

They were a lot easier to convert to 6v lantern batteries and the solar panel than the Tasco was. I didn't have to drill and solder the battery contact points on the hunten camera. They have a solar panel jack on the bottom of the camera already from the factory, and all I had to do was splice in two jumper wires and crimp on two alligator clips to those wires for the lantern battery and panel so I didn't have to mess around trying to get the correct size plug for the jack.

The picture quality it not as clear as the tasco, and I got 3 pics that was just all black. I don't know if something was too close to the bear box that caused it to be all black, or if there is something else going on with that camera at night, but I should know the next time I check the camera.

I may also have to enlarge the opening in the bear box because some of the flasher on the new camera is not exposed all of the way, so that may be why those few pictures came out all black too.

@MikeD you asked if the camera was good, and other than the picture quality for a 2MP camera isn't as good as some of the expensive camera's, I think it's done really well. I've only had it out for a week and the first time I checked it, it had 59 pictures, and after I adjusted the camera in the bear box so the flash would work better, I got 219 pics yesterday.

Sadly though, in one of the pics there was a coyote, and my friend who owns adjoining property got a bobcat at their pond, which is less than 1500 feet away from my treestand, though is around the ridge, but with that many predators so close to the turkeys, it looks like me and a few friends are going to have to make the cat feel unwelcome and need to start calling the coyotes and get rid of another bunch.

Anyway, you asked about the camera, and it's doing really well for the time being. I still need to cut open the face of the bear box better for the flash, but that's not the camera's fault.

Here's the pic of the bobcat that Doc got on his cam

bobcat trail cam.jpg

And the rest were at my mineral plot

trail cam 72314 188.JPG

trailcam72314047_zps060462ae.jpg

trail cam 72314 164.JPG

sweet ! thanks for showing them.....here the bobcat was in June , don't mind the dates. Elk obviously don't grow antlers in Janurary and I'm pretty sure we haven't been to September 14 yet lol.

Some great pics Oli. I love seein' them.

nothing wrong with that diesel !!

Back