• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mitchell Guist of Swamp People dead @ 48

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I'm bummed. I've been a fan of this show since I found it during it's first season and the Guist brothers were two of my favorite swampers.

I was just watching a recent episode where Glen and Mitchell were moving a house boat by putting a motored boad on either side to propell it. One of the motors ran out of gass and they were in the middle of the lake spinning in circles. I was laughing my ass of.

RIP Mitchell.

My fave episode (with him featured) was when he brought home an old-growth cedar tree he battled and fought and lifted up from the wet mud and muck, and he then paid to have it sawed and made into planks which he used to nail down a new porch floor in front of his cabin. He was so proud and happy at his accomplishment.

I could be absolutely wrong, but I think he never experienced an "easy" period during his hardscrabble life, and I greatly respect how resilient he was (including going on camera in front of the entire world) while just trying to pay his bills and get groceries and gasoline.

God Bless You, Mitchell Guist. I would like to have gotten to know you and hang out together if only for a short while.

nitesite said:
My fave episode (with him featured) was when he brought home an old-growth cedar tree he battled and fought and lifted up from the wet mud and muck, and he then paid to have it sawed and made into planks which he used to nail down a new porch floor in front of his cabin. He was so proud and happy at his accomplishment.

I could be absolutely wrong, but I think he never experienced an "easy" period during his hardscrabble life, and I greatly respect how resilient he was (including going on camera in front of the entire world) while just trying to pay his bills and get groceries and gasoline.

God Bless You, Mitchell Guist. I would like to have gotten to know you and hang out together if only for a short while.
This is the only episode I had see as well.
I agree if he was 48, It was a hard fought battle...

I know people like that, they don’t live in a swamp though......tough as nails. Leads me to something I have been thinking about lately with all the end of the world crap......these will be the people who make it…..Americans as a whole are pu$$^ies. There are a lot of third world counties that will be better off than us because those folks are used to struggling……It has been a long while since Americans had to be third world tough. If it ever goes down I hope I have enough knowledge and sand to be third world tough.

120515102248-orig-jtb-skype-remembering-mitchell-guist-00000315-story-top.jpg

He was only 48? Wow, lived hard, for sure! Godspeed.

I heard about this Monday evening.

Saddened me to hear of this. If what I read was correct, they said he slipped and fell in the boat, had a seizure and attempts to resucitate him were unsuccessful.

Of course that was just quoting from what I read, so take it with a grain of salt that was what really happened because I don't really know.

But I am sorry to hear of this loss. My prayers go out to the family.

I liked that show. I didn't know he was 47...man..47 on him looks rough...I wonder what they are going to do as a memorial show for him...

NEW ORLEANS, May 16 (UPI) -- "Swamp People" star Mitchell Guist was building a houseboat when he appeared to suffer a seizure and fell backwards on the watercraft, Louisiana officials said.
Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack described to CNN the circumstances of the alligator hunter's death Monday on the Intercoastal Waterway.

Daniel Wiltz of the St. Martin Parish coroner's office said he expects autopsy results to be announced Wednesday.
Guist, 47, was pronounced dead at Teche Regional Medical Center in Morgan City.
"Right now, we're thinking about him almost every minute," Brian Catalina, executive producer of The History Channel's "Swamp People," told CNN. "We've lost a really important part of our family and a treasured friend."
Guist starred on the show alongside his brother, Glenn.
"The two were inseparable. These guys were born in the same house that they both still lived in, up until yesterday. They were two peas in a pod for sure. Neither had ever married. They were just as brothers as you could be," Catalina said.

Rest in piece Mitchell Guist. He too was one of my favorite characters on the show and I was always impressed by the two brothers. He was certainly a survivor.

Back