• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/persuader retro safety issue (...with Pics: Plastic vs. Metal)

I think the 5 hole plate is part of their *^$@# proofing so people don't need to think about which way to install the plate. I assume all the new guns come with a five hole plate so it can be installed either way and/or even upside down. Simplify the part and eliminate service calls!

I know many folks don't like the original one way, tamper proof screws but there are millions of Mossberg shorguns out there that still have the factory "plastic" safety lever and the "plastic" trigger group and have been operating without issues for decades. Most of the newer heavy barrels and metal trigger groups are a result of the military, mostly Naval use of shotguns on ships and recurruing contact with bulkheads and passageways. Absolutely nothing wrong with metal trigger groups but when was the last time anyone on this forum has posted a picture of a broke "plastic" one?

And, many of use old heads probably haven't activated the safety lever for decades. LOL

It's great that you and a couple of other owners are showing how easy it is to change out the safety lever. So many folks today are uncomfortable with doing anything to their firearms.

Regards

Last edited:
I still dig that metal trigger group. I regret not getting it from brownells many years ago when they still selling it were just like ~$100. Now mossberg doesn't sell them anymore due to liability that may arise as they claim it's not a drop in part as a 'smith would have to check and adjust as necessary the connector/safety block engagement.
Also I find the ball detent on the metal trigger assembly a lot better in retention of trigger housing pin with the receiver as opposed to leaf spring on the plastic trigger assembly.

Folks, the steel safety lever/button I ordered from gunparts corp cleared Canadian customs after 15 business days...*sigh!
I also ordered slotted safety button screw.

Now my question is, since underneath the safety lever already has indent/holes (sample pic)...

SejDDZN.jpg

Do I still need to install the safety detent plate or just the steel safety button would be enough?

o2Z2M40.jpg

ybrik, yes you still want to use the original plate when installing the new safety.

By the picture above I'm not sure which safety lever you bought but many have a offset finger tab and if so you can install the lever in either direction that best fits your hand and ability to manulipilate the safety without changing your grip. That's why there are five detents.

Good luck and please post a picture of the completed install.

Regards

Hi Ernst, I took some pics today swapping out the plastic safety.
It turned out great, but have some questions for you.

Here's the safety lever I bought from Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. with the flat head safety screw:

WOI9vT0.jpg

pP0vU5S.jpg

mtrGldd.jpg

niLoGjK.jpg

Did Mossberg use a safety screw like this at some point?

Numrich says it's new reproduction, even the metal safety.
Also the safety button/lever is steel, I thought it was aluminum so I checked my shockwave which I swapped to metal safety from brownells (years ago) and it also attracts the magnet. Only thing it attracts more on this one bought from numrich, probably more iron in it.

The flat screw looks weird/funny so I still used the old screw in the end.

Plastic vs. steel side-by-side:
The plastic safety is much wider than the metal one.
YWrLc9c.jpg

1pMfmNt.jpg

aRRf7s1.jpg

Also, did mossberg had an 8-line safety from the 80s?
This was a pic from a current ebay listing (item#: 256358661758) that mossberg had a custom gunshop make it for them and they bought the rights but didn't eventually proceed with the manufacture due to costs.

RwhCGlB.jpg

Installation:
Cleaned and lubed well.
At one point, the detent ball fell on top of the red detent. Good thing I was able to pick it up with a tooth pick with grease at the end.
9ClJdyg.jpg

fd1ujCN.jpg

Dropped the safety detent plate on top of detent ball and I put enough grease underneath that contact areal.
0PNzPv4.jpg

Now, here's the plastic alternating with metal pics...plastic first:
6Njvqa5.jpg

FW3Ipwd.jpg

RSuio58.jpg

jRPeM7v.jpg

Then I decided to remove the trigger assembly just to check on the safety block:
JqjnSLn.jpg

I was planning to have it squared with the SB's channel by holding it while tightening the screw.
I just left it like this anyways as what's important is SB has a lot of engagement area to the connector.

I'll be the first to confess I've never seen that type of screw on an original factory weapon. But I don't have any recently manufactured Mossbergs so they may have changed over. But there are a couple of members here that have purchased new guns and maybe they can look at theirs and chime in.

I think what I do is find an Allen or Trox head machine screw and use that vice the common or your old anti remove screw. That way you can also use a torque wrench to seat it. These types of fasteners can generally be found in a "good" hardware store or in many cases a farm & feed store that carry a big assortment of fasteners. They are commonly found in speciality boxes. You may find them in either steel or stainless. Just be careful of the length.

The lever itself looks like a reproduction to me. I'm not sure how Numrich advertises it. But as shown in your pictures it fits and I assume it functions correctly.

Reference your last picture of the safety block which is slightly canted. It will likely still work as shown but I'm with you in that I'd hold it square while tightening the screw.

Sometimes these SBs will have burrs on the edges but they typically get worn off with use and cause no problems.

All looks good and congrats on accomplishing the task. Thanks also for the good pictures that shows the process to others.

Regards

Nice write up! :) I would have used the included screw with a tight-fitting screwdriver and a drop of Loctite blue. I don't know why Mossberg uses the anti-tamper screws... :rolleyes:

Back