• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Blackwater SPX Tactical Front Sight

malmon

Copper BB
Bought this shotgun last year and finally had the chance to shoot it yesterday. Impressed and disappointed at the same time. There's hardly any recoil compared to my M590A1, I can shoot this all day. Disappointed with the front sight falling out though. After 75 rounds, the sight disappeared. :evil:

I called Mossberg today and was given the option of sending in my barrel or they will send me a new sight. I tried to have them send me a shipping label but no dice, I have to ship it to them at my expense.

Is this XS sight hard to install? Do I need to have it installed by a gunsmith? Or would it better to just send the barrel and have them install it?

Any opinions or suggestions is appreciated.

moss1_zps8261b1c2.jpg

moss2_zps24ceaca7.jpg

mine did the same thing yesterday while going threw the breakin of 50 rds. Think I could find it YA RIGHT!! Anyways I went to Cabelas and picked up a HIVIZ front dovetail sight for $40. It slid in fine and then I tightened the set screw along with some Loctite. Im gonna go try to zero it this weekend not sure if its gonna work it may not me tall enough. Ill post the results.

SO MOSSY would not sent you a replacement??? I may call them to see what they say to me.

I would call Mossberg again and try to convince them about the label. If it's a year old then it still has a warrentee on it. A ten year warrentee!

IMO
You would be far better off accepting their offer to send you a new sight.
No wait for turn around and no dealing with Mossberg customer service far any longer than you have to. The installation is super easy……make sure you ask for another set screw as well, if yours isn’t gone then you will have a spare

Thank you for all the advice. I have already sent the barrel back to Mossberg two weeks ago.

Any experience with Mossberg customer service? How long does it usually take? Not in a hurry, just curious.

Mine (BW tactical front sight) was loose right out of the box, in fact the front ghost ring mount needed to be tightened down also. Was fortunate enough to have one of those mini hex-keys that fit so I just backed out the set screw and added some Loctite.

Anyone know the size of that hex key for the front site set screw for future reference :?:

Uno99 said:
mine did the same thing yesterday while going threw the breakin of 50 rds. Think I could find it YA RIGHT!! Anyways I went to Cabelas and picked up a HIVIZ front dovetail sight for $40. It slid in fine and then I tightened the set screw along with some Loctite. Im gonna go try to zero it this weekend not sure if its gonna work it may not me tall enough. Ill post the results.

SO MOSSY would not sent you a replacement??? I may call them to see what they say to me.

Do you happen to have a part number on that HiViz sight? I've been trying to find a replacement for mine.

Thanks.

uno99 I would also like to know if the cabela's highviz is the same height . the fiber optic I guess is alright haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet. someone could possibly post the height of the one on your weapon that fell off then you would know . let us know how it works for you . I would like that on mine if you can see it good at night. thanks.. the oldman......

I just got a replacement barrel from Mossberg. It took a month turn around and I had to pitch a fit about a return label but they will do it. My best advice sending anything back to Mossy is to be patient. I mean really patient....But they will come through...

You are most certainly right FastEarle, I got my barrel back last week and they put in a new sight and replaced the pin/screw.

For future reference... NONE of the screws on Mossberg's are Loctited in place. I recommend everyone check all the screws on every assembly, pull them, de-grease the screw and screw hole and install them using blue Loctite. Save yourself the headaches.

Went to clean up my Blackwater after a day at the skeet range, and noticed the XS White Stripe front sight was missing. Could not find the damned thing, so I got in touch with Joe Zakher at Maverick Arms who sent me another along with the set screw that holds it in. Kudos to Joe for his quick response. It seems like the problem is the dovetail slot is too large for the sight and it fits too loosely. Most dovetail sights have to be pressed in with a punch just to be mounted. Maybe I'll try to shim the slot this time, along with some more Locktite.

Love this ghost ring/ Tritium White Stripe setup, but this getting to be very frustrating, having to watch that front sight like a hawk every time I shoot!

For future reference... NONE of the screws on Mossberg's are Loctited in place. I recommend everyone check all the screws on every assembly, pull them, de-grease the screw and screw hole and install them using blue Loctite. Save yourself the headaches.

Wise suggestion. I do this when I first get a new firearm along with a detail strip down and cleaning / re lube.

Back