• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MVP-I'm interested

Really interested... I'm looking at the 24" barrel no scope... I've been reading reviews and watching you tube about it... So far mostly are good reviews from owners... Non-owners always have hear-says to say about it...

I'm waiting for my Academy to have one in stock... Will be a good Christmas gift for me from the wife. LOL!

I really enjoy shooting mine. I added a BSA Sweet .223 scope for a nice economic Rifle Package. I'm still debating putting a Bi Pod on it. It shoots better than I do :mrgreen:

MrDig said:
I really enjoy shooting mine. I added a BSA Sweet .223 scope for a nice economic Rifle Package. I'm still debating putting a Bi Pod on it. It shoots better than I do :mrgreen:

MrDig,

Glad to hear you are enjoying yours... You tube have a few very satisfied owners and they all say that the gun is very accurate... I like the looks especially the longer barrel and you really can't beat the price!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
rambilt said:
I just like the looks of longer barrel..

Guess that's as good a reason as any! Keep us posted if/when you end up get'n one...

Hey LAZY EYED SNIPER, I found a 20" barrel locally for 550.00 I was wondering if you can tell me if there's going to be a significant difference between the two as far as accuracy? Thanks...

Rick

J&D guns in Altoona, PA, has a 20" Bull Barrel model for $550... Not going to lie I was filling out the layaway paper when my bank called and said I was turned down for a loan for my wedding... Guess where that $600 is going now?? :/

the 20 inch barrel isn't going to affect accuracy as much as Muzzle Velocity and Muzzle energy I think. As always don't quote me on the stuff because the math is way beyond my aptitude.
You will generally get better distances with the 24 inch but again the math of external ballistics is out of my league.

I think we have established for his distances the barrel length will only marginally effect his accuracy too the shooters actual ability. Between 18.5" and 20" I would not worry so much. Jumping from 24" too either of the two you may notice some lost velocity but again not enough as to miss a shot if all else is equal. :) just my observing $0.02

The loss/gain in muzzle velocity will vary greatly depending on your ammo, handloads, etc., but generally speaking you're looking at a margin of 35-40 fps variation for every inch of barrel gained or lost. Again these are common averages, but the extra 4" in barrel length will net you around a 140-160 fps gain in muzzle velocity. The extra length and resulting increase in muzzle velocity will gain you marked improvement in consistency at distances approaching 500-600m.

Another factor to consider is barrel resonance. The shorter 20" barrel is stiffer and will be less affected by vibration as the bullet travels down the barrel. In my own experience (take it for what it's worth), I print a lot tighter on paper with my 20" guns at 300m and in than I do with my longer barrels. I only break out the 24" when I plan on reaching out to 400 and out.

If you're shooting for pinpoint accuracy, do some reading on barrel thermodynamics. The heating and cooling of your barrel while firing is one of the most significant factors contributing to degredation in accuracy from one shot to the next...

Itsricmo said:
J&D guns in Altoona, PA, has a 20" Bull Barrel model for $550... Not going to lie I was filling out the layaway paper when my bank called and said I was turned down for a loan for my wedding... Guess where that $600 is going now?? :/

You should have cancelled the wedding and got the gun instead... Just kidding... Congrats to your wedding!!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The loss/gain in muzzle velocity will vary greatly depending on your ammo, handloads, etc., but generally speaking you're looking at a margin of 35-40 fps variation for every inch of barrel gained or lost. Again these are common averages, but the extra 4" in barrel length will net you around a 140-160 fps gain in muzzle velocity. The extra length and resulting increase in muzzle velocity will gain you marked improvement in consistency at distances approaching 500-600m.

Another factor to consider is barrel resonance. The shorter 20" barrel is stiffer and will be less affected by vibration as the bullet travels down the barrel. In my own experience (take it for what it's worth), I print a lot tighter on paper with my 20" guns at 300m and in than I do with my longer barrels. I only break out the 24" when I plan on reaching out to 400 and out.

If you're shooting for pinpoint accuracy, do some reading on barrel thermodynamics. The heating and cooling of your barrel while firing is one of the most significant factors contributing to degredation in accuracy from one shot to the next...

Went to LGS and hold the MVP 20"..., it looked very small and so light... It's more suited for a ranch man than a guy like me that shoots only paper targets and maybe Zombies come 21 Dec, according to the Mayans... I think I'll wait until I can get my hands into a 24" before I make my decision in acquiring either a 20" or a 24".... But it's nice to know that the barrel length is only needed when you want to touch someone from a long distance. Thank you very much for the info.

I will agree it is a very small profile weapon! Stock is a little short but I felt comfortable with the cheekweld :D

Back