• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need your expertise

ImAShrimp

.270 WIN
I've decided that my next rifle will be a DI AR. What I'm trying to decide is if it would be better/more cost effective to buy and modify or build from scratch. This will be my first ever AR. I'm mechanically minded, so the build itself doesn't bother me.

Your thoughts?

That all depends on what specs you're looking for.

My advice is to find a production AR that comes with all the bells and whistles you're looking for. Then, price out all the individual parts you'd need to build the same rifle yourself. You may find that you CAN build an AR cheaper than production, but you may have to sacrifice some of the more desireable features to do so. There are simply a TON of production AR models out there at very affordable prices. I build them because I like the process, not to save money...

I built mine and I don't regret it but I've seen several M&P's go for less than what it cost to build it.

I bought my first AR, but have since built the rest.

It's not specifically hard building them, but does take some specialized tools at first which does raise the initial cost, but you can reuse the tools for building more AR's and changing things later (which probably will happen).

An Armorers wrench, vise blocks, vise, punch, hammer, roll pin punches, etc

I don't know whether to recommend you buy or build. It depends a lot on what you're wanting and if someone makes one the way you want or not.

John A. said:
I bought my first AR, but have since built the rest.

Ditto. Building them, particularly the lowers, is about as easy as putting together a Lego kit. :D

I'm goin to be getting my first ever AR soon also. Ill be buying an Olympic Arms plinker plus flat top for about $620 before tax and FFL transfer. Worth it for me to get one assembled and ready to go less sights.

It does save some time. And some will say it's more expensive to buy than build, but in this case, would be tough to build AND buy the extra tools and shipping from various places to get the cheapest price and come out ahead building at first. There will be plenty of time for that the next go-round (and we all know it's going to happen eventually) AR's are like tater chips. You can't just have one. :lol:

Plus, this will give you plenty of hands on, lifetime warranty if something does happen to it, and lots and lots of smiles and rounds downrange in the meantime.

I think I'm going to do a little happy dance when you get it home. :lol:

See, its helpful, non-condescending guys like you that make this forum awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll buy first, learn the gun, then build the next.

Now I just have to decide which one to get. :lol:

John, youll def know when it gets here, in fact as soon as I can order it! I have about two months! UGH!

IAS, I feel the same; buy now, learn it, and build later!
Lots of good guns out there... No reason one cant be found around $650. You may even be able to find one in person at like a BassPro, Cabellas, or the like. One of the more popular ones, which I too had considered was the S&W M&P 15 Sport carbine, with gas piston, flat top receiver, A2 front post gas block and A2 forend, and Magpul MBUS. It also includes a 30 round Magpul PMag. I've seen them online for somewhere around $659 or $679.

I mentioned I'm doin the Olympic Arms, it come highly recommended by more than a few folks, plus there is support much like this forum with the OlyArms.

Back