• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newbie from McKinney Texas ( North Dallas)

Yes Sir, but I need it to look good as well. HAAHA. I will do as you say and add items after a month or 2. I say that now. lol

To Magpul or to Hogue is the question now...If I had to pick two items to upgrade would be this first. Stock plus forend.

Have a great day All.

Zed, life is good when you have choices.

Now if we all only had enough money to afford them all, LOL!

Regards

Reactions: ZED
Zed, looks like a good choice of a gun.

While many folks change out the safety for ergononics, there really isn't anything wrong with the durability of the stock Mossberg safety. The stock trigger group and safety on the 500 and 590 has lasted for decades on thousand of guns. I'd try the one that comes on the gun to see how you like it first. This is a totally different discussion but most folks that use these for home defense run the weapon in a cruiser ready configuration and never use the safety in the engaged position.

The other decision point down the road is whether you want to use mini shells. There is several threads on here discussing the attributes of them and some swear by them while others totally shun them. It's really personal choice. If I were you I'd run several hundred rounds of low and high brass standard shells in a variety of birdshot, buckshot and slugs through the new gun to break it in and then decide is you want something else. The mini shells will add capacity and reduce recoil but at a cost compared to normal shotshells.

One upfront hint is to field strip the new gun before taking the first shot and clean it very well. You will typically find some manufacturing debris in it and you want to also check for sharp edges. Then finally lube it and dry cycle the gun a hundred times to break in the action. Then go have fun!

Whatever model you finally buy I'd start with the stock gun and give it a good break in period before I'd started adding things. Then as you add things you can test each one to your liking. Even something a simple as mounting a flashlight may take some trial and error to get the exact location that fits your needs and ability to work the tail switch with your thumb. A half inch forward or backward may make all the difference.

Good luck and please post some pictures of your new gun and let us know how she preforms.

Regards
What he said.

Yes Sir, but I need it to look good as well. HAAHA. I will do as you say and add items after a month or 2. I say that now. lol

To Magpul or to Hogue is the question now...If I had to pick two items to upgrade would be this first. Stock plus forend.

Have a great day All.
First let me say that tinkering with your shotgun’s configuration is one of the funnest parts of ownership. When you finally arrive at the perfect (for you) configuration it is very satisfying. Note this may take a long time and maybe you will never get to 100% but hopefully close enough. You will also no doubt accumulate a small box of stuff that you can use on your second build. Most probably there will be a second build. I have 4 mossy pump 12 gauge in the safe. Don’t tell my wife.

Honesty the first upgrade should be a light. When you are doing your break in period including any dry fire and racking repetitions it should be with the light attached so you can position it and also test its durability. Don’t skimp out on the light/mount because a 12 gauge shooting slugs and buckshot is punishing.

You can always do the furniture at a later date. The mossy standard black polymer furniture works well.

I have an 8+1 M500 for HD and a 8+1 M590A1 for more serious work. I have a Hogue fore end on both with the standard mossy polymer stock. The stock fits me well and I saw no reason to change it out. I love the Hogue fore ends. I don’t mount anything to the fore end.

I know this has not come up yet in the discussion but it probably will at some point. Red dot sights. I’m not a fan for shotguns. This may spark some additional commentary :jester:

Best of luck and please post some pics.

Last edited:
First let me say that tinkering with your shotgun’s configuration is one of the funnest parts of ownership. When you finally arrive at the perfect (for you) configuration it is very satisfying. Note this may take a long time and maybe you will never get to 100% but hopefully close enough. You will also no doubt accumulate a small box of stuff that you can use on your second build. Most probably there will be a second build. I have 4 mossy pump 12 gauge in the safe. Don’t tell my wife.

Honesty the first upgrade should be a light. When you are doing your break in period including any dry fire and racking repetitions it should be with the light attached so you can position it and also test its durability. Don’t skimp out on the light/mount because a 12 gauge shooting slugs and buckshot is punishing.

You can always do the furniture at a later date. The mossy standard black polymer furniture works well.

I have an 8+1 M500 for HD and a 8+1 M590A1 for more serious work. I have a Hogue fore end on both with the standard mossy polymer stock. The stock fits me well and I saw no reason to change it out. I love the Hogue fore ends. I don’t mount anything to the fore end.

I know this has not come up yet in the discussion but it probably will at some point. Red dot sights. I’m not a fan for shotguns. This may spark some additional commentary :jester:

Best of luck and please post some pics.
Thank you so much for the reply . I saw this at a few booths at my local gunshow and it looks and feels great.

Hogue versus Magpul for my stock is todays homework. I want to go pick up the shotgun today and get that part out of the way.

Thoughts?

You will also no doubt accumulate a small box of stuff that you can use on your second build. Most probably there will be a second build. I have 4 mossy pump 12 gauge in the safe. Don’t tell my wife.

All it takes for another gun build to start is a spare roll pin... ;)

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I have finally decided on my HD of choice. I will be getting it this weekend and will post up a few picture's. I did shoot 3 different options at a local range and just love the " Winner". I have added a light, sight and a few other goodies to make it even more fun to shoot-plink than stock.

Any guesses?? winner gets a free drink at my local show this weekend..HAHA.

Back