• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot in 358 Winchester

Brother_Love

Copper BB
I just received my Patriot back from JES re-boring. It started out as a 243 and is now a 358 Winchester. I love the feel of the Patriot stock. It is the most comfortable stock design I've ever had. I have a little problem with it loading cast bullets out of the magazine. They catch the sharp edge of the barrel. I will have gunsmith look at it next week. I hope he can chamfer the throat just a little.

20160611_12_zps3lbbg6h5.jpg

20160611_11_zpsbm4o646w.jpg

That is a great looking rifle and it looks like I have the exact same rings/bases/scope set up you do.

Why the .358? It's not a caliber I'm familiar with by any means. I'm interested now though!

Really did not have a choice. It was a 243 that would not group, it only patterned! I tried everything and it would not group. I finally discovered that it had a burr in the rifling at the throat. As much as I love Mossbergs, always have, I knew their customer service is basically non existent. I wrote several emails and made several phone calls, none were answered! I like big old cast bullets so I had punched out to 358. I will get it back to the range as soon as my brass arrives.

We've recently heard some very good things about OFMs customer service and I'm very sorry for the trouble you've had.

On the .358, is this a cartridge you have experience with and what is the intended use? Is this close to long range hunting? Big game? Brush gun/truck gun?

Mostly a fun gun that can double for a venison getter. I am glad to hear of good service, maybe I was wrong place, wrong time. I will say this, the Patriot has the best stock design I have ever had. It feels natural when you shoulder it. I have serveral old Mossbergs, 22s, BA shotguns and a 810 in 270, love them all.

The 358Win is a great cartridge and punches way above it's weight. I have a Remington 7600 Police Patrol with a spare 20" barrel in 358Win. Great set up. I'd really like a Patriot Walnut in 358.

Back