• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Possibly good news for English shooting..?

Daryll

.270 WIN
Here in the UK, getting a sound moderator for a rifle is much simpler than in the US... no tax stamp, extended wait, etc.
We do have to have them listed on our Firearm Certificate (FAC), but you can request a sound moderator when you ask for permission to buy a new rifle.
(I recently sold my Mossberg MVP LC in .308, and the sound mod. I then filled in a form to have those taken off my FAC, and "permission to buy" slots for a 6.5 CM rifle and 6.5 sound mod added. This was free, as I wasn't increasing the number of firearms, and took a couple of weeks.)

The UK Government are now doing a "consultation", (which means they're thinking about it...), on removing sound moderators from FAC's. This means we'll be free to go out and buy a sound mod for any rifle we own.
As they'll be easier to get, more LGS's will stock them, more companies will make them, and (hopefully) the prices will drop. (In the UK rimfire moderators cost from £50 to £200, Centerfire mods cost £180 to £500.)
Removing them from FAC's will also reduce the workload of the Licencing authorities, which should speed up the renewal and variation processes.

One of the questions on the survey does give some people concern... basically it asks whether you agree that sound moderators are beneficial for health and safety for hearing protection. The concern is, if the government goes too far, this could mean that sound mods become compulsory...! OK for most people, but not for those shooting historic rifles....

Heres hoping that they decide that moderators can be removed from FAC's, and leave it at that..! We probably won't know until the end of the year.

It is good to hear that your laws are getting less onerous. Hopefully you won't trade one (+) for one or more (-).

We call "moderators" suppressors here. The uninformed that watch too many movies call them "silencers". ;) They are governed by NFA34 (1934). This is back in the days of Chicago gangsters and whatnot. BTW, the only decent president named Roosevelt was Teddy. Since they couldn't "outlaw" full-auto, "short" long guns, "long" short guns and suppressors because of the 2nd Amendment, they put a tax on them. The tax "stamp" was/is $200 per item which was worth like $4600 back then. :eek: So it WAS prohibitive. And still is for us poor folk... :D

There are many shops that will help you get a suppressor and will "hold" it while you wait for approval from the ATF which takes a minimum 6 months or so. Suppressors and other Class 3 items (FA guns, SBRs) are usually held under a trust so they can be used by the people in the trust and more easily passed down to one's heirs or other trustees. There are handy kiosks in the bigger stores where you can do all the paperwork (and pay) online. Here is one such store. LINK Prices (without the tax stamp) start at under $400.

Did the British government discover some common sense? It hasn’t happened in California yet.

They want people to register guns, and then re-register them, every year (!) with a fee for each weapon. The fee isn’t disclosed, but they were sure to disclose the proposed $1000 fine, per weapon, for violations.

Did the British government discover some common sense? It hasn’t happened in California yet.

They want people to register guns, and then re-register them, every year (!) with a fee for each weapon. The fee isn’t disclosed, but they were sure to disclose the proposed $1000 fine, per weapon, for violations.
I’m sure the crooks and gangsters in California will be first in line to register and re-register.

So far it is just a proposal, and not law. But there is a desperate gang trying to pass it.

Here in the UK, getting a sound moderator for a rifle is much simpler than in the US... no tax stamp, extended wait, etc.
We do have to have them listed on our Firearm Certificate (FAC), but you can request a sound moderator when you ask for permission to buy a new rifle.
(I recently sold my Mossberg MVP LC in .308, and the sound mod. I then filled in a form to have those taken off my FAC, and "permission to buy" slots for a 6.5 CM rifle and 6.5 sound mod added. This was free, as I wasn't increasing the number of firearms, and took a couple of weeks.)

The UK Government are now doing a "consultation", (which means they're thinking about it...), on removing sound moderators from FAC's. This means we'll be free to go out and buy a sound mod for any rifle we own.
As they'll be easier to get, more LGS's will stock them, more companies will make them, and (hopefully) the prices will drop. (In the UK rimfire moderators cost from £50 to £200, Centerfire mods cost £180 to £500.)
Removing them from FAC's will also reduce the workload of the Licencing authorities, which should speed up the renewal and variation processes.

One of the questions on the survey does give some people concern... basically it asks whether you agree that sound moderators are beneficial for health and safety for hearing protection. The concern is, if the government goes too far, this could mean that sound mods become compulsory...! OK for most people, but not for those shooting historic rifles....

Heres hoping that they decide that moderators can be removed from FAC's, and leave it at that..! We probably won't know until the end of the year.
You'll have to keep us posted on any developments.

Suppressors are prohibited in Canada except for law enforcement and military........................

That is unless you're a government contractor hired to shoot deer from a helicopter with an AR15, 30rd mag and a suppressor. But of course as Trudeau so infamously said on May 1, 2020 when the government implemented the ban on many different rifles including AR15's "You don't need an AR15 to bring down a deer." The most wicked part about all that was, it was a lie anyway. AR15's are prescribed as restricted weapons and as such are ineligible for use outside of an approved gun range and it's been that way for decades. Now for us plebs, they are just safe queens.

AR15's are prescribed as restricted weapons and as such are ineligible for use outside of an approved gun range and it's been that way for decades. Now for us plebs, they are just safe queens.
Or for the Revolution... ;)

They ARE popular for aerial wild pig hunts here. They procreate so efficiently they are ALWAYS in "season" in many areas.

Or for the Revolution... ;)

They ARE popular for aerial wild pig hunts here. They procreate so efficiently they are ALWAYS in "season" in many areas.
I don't dispute the utility of it all...no, my beef is the friggin' hypocrisy of these virtue signalling, fascist, gun grabbers that spout the gun control shite out one side of their mouths all the while saying the exact opposite out the other.

In this case above, it made the gun community particularly salty...it was federal edict that took our guns and federal edict (Parks Canada & RCMP) that allowed contractors to come in and do everything we aren't allowed to and everything the government said there was no need to own these kinds of guns for. Not to mention, that resident hunters would have gladly done the job for free if they had been asked.

Instead, so far costs are near $1M and they're not finished.

Back