• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Putting a Williams FP receiver sight on my 464 SPX

Well here's what I've learned since your last post. The skinner lower pro sits .326 above the receiver at the center of its sight. So, right off I'm .076 higher than you, which equates to about 12 inches high at 100yds. That matches my experience when trying to sight this thing in. However the front sight on mine is .521 high at center of bead after I got it out of the dovetail, I thought it was .590, so that is good news. Won't need as tall of front sight as I had originally thought. The kns may just be tall enough. But the kns fell clear thru the dovetail, so I'm going to have to shim it --a lot. Don't like that. Also the dual recticle is a little fuzzy, so my old eyes and the sight radius may not end up being compatible. I probably should just buy a simple drill press and get on with it. Your application appears to be so clean and durable, why fight it. However, I'm gonna try. I sure hope Mossberg is looking in on the thread. Might even send skinner a quick note, cause their other sight for this rifle is a lot taller than the lo pro, which will be a huge problem.

doug said:
Well here's what I've learned since your last post. The skinner lower pro sits .326 above the receiver at the center of its sight. So, right off I'm .076 higher than you, which equates to about 12 inches high at 100yds. That matches my experience when trying to sight this thing in. However the front sight on mine is .521 high at center of bead after I got it out of the dovetail, I thought it was .590, so that is good news. Won't need as tall of front sight as I had originally thought. The kns may just be tall enough. But the kns fell clear thru the dovetail, so I'm going to have to shim it --a lot. Don't like that. Also the dual recticle is a little fuzzy, so my old eyes and the sight radius may not end up being compatible. I probably should just buy a simple drill press and get on with it. Your application appears to be so clean and durable, why fight it. However, I'm gonna try. I sure hope Mossberg is looking in on the thread. Might even send skinner a quick note, cause their other sight for this rifle is a lot taller than the lo pro, which will be a huge problem.

I KNOW the Williams FP receiver sight will work with the original 464SPX blade front sight since that was my original configuration - I went to the range and sighted it in - and that front blade is about .515" high. That means mine should work with the 17AMI (.494" height) and since your rear sight is higher by .076" than mine, yours should work with the 17AUG (.484" height), if you want to go the Lyman route (there are other, tall front sights available).

On my 464 SPX 20 clicks of the elevation adjustment knob equals 1 revolution and will alter the sight height by .025" (the screw is 40 threads per inch), that equates to 5 moa, or 5 inches at 100 yds (the Skinner Lo Pro should be about the same, tho your threads per inch will be differrent). Anyway, changing the sight height by .090" gives an moa shift of 18, that's 18 inches at 100 yds.

As soon as I get my .45-70 BC back from H&R I'll take the Williams FP off it and see if it'll fit on the 464 SPX. If it can be made to fit by simply drilling 1 new mounting hole in the base and shortening the base a little, it would mean that the 464 SPX receiver wouldn't have to be drilled. The only potential problem is it will sit a little higher.

I just remembered that I took the FP receiver sight off my .45-70 BC before sending it to H&R to fix - I didn't want to risk damaging it.

So here are a couple of pics with the Williams FP-H&R TK on my 464 SPX:
DSC01257.JPG

and
DSC01256.JPG

As you can see, the mounting base overhangs the ejection port by about .625", that would have to be hacksawed off and filed smooth. Then a new hole needs to be drilled to match the second screw hole in the 464 SPX's rear receiver. The hole would not have to be counterbored - the aperture will clear the screwhead - but it would look neater if it was (you can get counter bores on eBay). The curvature of the FP base almost matches the curvature of the 464 SPX's receiver and is solidly held.

The height of the center of the aperture above the top of the receiver is ~.375" so I think the Lyman 17AUG front sight would do.

If I had it to do over, I would modify and install the Williams FP-H&R TK, rather than the FP 12/37, since no drilling of the receiver is required, and just one hole in the FP sight base which is aluminum and easy to drill, and shortening the base.

Man are you a wealth of knowledge. I really appreciate all the info, pictures, and hard work. Thanks so much. You have given me another really realistic option. I'll let you know how I end up. I just hope Williams sight company is watching all of your hard work.

Back