• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rem Core-Lokt .270 130gr in 100 ATR

Expat_PM

.270 WIN
I've been shooting 130 gr Rem Core-Lokt in my .270
I get nice groupings at 100 yds. Really nothing to complain about at all.

But lately I've been thinking about trying the Fed Vital Shocks but they cost nearly double what the Rems cost (at least a 50% increase at my local purveyors of hot lead)

Here's my question: - Does anyone have experience with both, which do you hunt with (white tail) and why? Okay, so it was three questions.

Sorry buddy... little rifle experience at all here. Last rifles I shot were 30.06 and .22 LR. Dont even know what brand of ammo we used.

I can't be the only guy on here who shoots .270

I'm beginning to get a complex :?
Is it my breath? [haaaaaa..haaaaaa...] no, breath smells fine.

Maybe everyone is out shooting their rifles and too busy to comment on my Ammo question (Thanks Rossignol, I got your reply).

I'll just assume that everyone is wowed by my obviously superior intellect and they're too intimidated to reply.
Or was it maybe just a dumb question -- DON'T ANSWER THAT!

Have fun

Most of the rifle shooters on here are shooting 5.56, .308, .30-06... some surplus stuff.

You can check out one of the sister sites like Remington Owners and check there?

Yeah I'd love to help, but I have zero experience with .270 or either of the rounds you're inquiring about.

I shoot a LOT of .308, mostly the cheaper Fedaral Power-Shok 150gr soft points. On occasion I'll pick up some Federal Premium Gold Medal 168gr Sierra Matchking hollow-points when I want to put up some seriously tight groups.

I shoot .270 and hunt whitetails. Have for decades.

I'm absolutely convinced that the Remington Cor-Lokt is still as viable a whitetail bullet as it has ever been. I know hunters who pay large money for western hunts for large game who still shoot the Cor-Lokt. One hunter I spoke with last winter took a brown bear with just a plain ol' Cor-Lokt. Has it been surpassed? Possibly yes, especially in the polymer tipped bullets designed for rapid expansion and boat tail designs for distance shooting. But I believe that a good hunting bullet should expand a relative amount and drive out the other side under ideal circumstances. I know first hand of polymer-tipped bullets which exploded and lost weight and momentum which didn't exit and blood trails were almost non-existent.

The way I figure it, a lot of ammunition is like fishing lures, the "new" look and packaging catch more fishermen in their wallets than catch more and larger fish.

Millions of deer have been killed with the good ol' .30-30 and exposed lead soft tip bullets, and last I checked deer haven't biologically changed much making them harder to kill.

I have better accuracy with the Remington bullet than Winchesters Power Shok, and I think the Federal Trophy Bonded Vital Shock is probably a more accurate bullet at longer distances but it won't mean a lot for most whitetail shots. If I was having to buck the wind at 300 yards the Federal ammo is superior.

Got a Ruger No1 in 270. Tack driver unfortunately it rarely gets shot but when it does it gets corelokt. Never been anything else through it. Been shooting a 30-06 for 30 years so I kinda stick to that “comfort zone”. I see no reason to use another round(corelokt) for hunting other than curiosity...it kills just like spendy rounds do. Now if you are punching paper thats another thing

Thanks guys for the feedback.
This was a great conversation and yes, I will stick with the Core-Lokt.
It really is an excellent round and for the short distances we typically get to shoot at a white tail (probably 75-100 yd on average) it's plenty accurate.

So what would you use if you were shooting paper with the same rifle?

Thanks again for the discussion,

Expat_PM said:
Thanks guys for the feedback.
This was a great conversation and yes, I will stick with the Core-Lokt.
It really is an excellent round and for the short distances we typically get to shoot at a white tail (probably 75-100 yd on average) it's plenty accurate. I have never taken a shot at a whitetail that was over 120 yards. Most were under 100. That's why I think a plain Core-Lokt is as fine as any other available. I'm amazed that there are "hunters" who claim 400+ yard shots with their 300 WinMags or whatever they're bragging about. Not saying it can't be done, but my crosshairs seem to cover a 20"x20" area at that distance so add in some shakes and how can I possibly ensure a humane shot even if I could see the damn animal?

So what would you use if you were shooting paper with the same rifle? Are you buying off-the shelf ammo or handloading?

Thanks again for the discussion,

Great reply NiteSite,
You're right. I've heard guys brag about all sorts of crazy shots that I just know were not possible.
If you're gonna tell a lie about how you shot a deer at least make it something that's in the neighborhood of reality :)

As for paper: how about off the shelf AND hand load?
Can you give one or two good choices for each?

My handload is a Hornady 130-gr #2730 Interlok Soft point over 57.4-gr of Hodgdon H4831SC and a CCI Benchrest BR-2 primer, case trimmed to 2.520 and bullet seated to the cannelure.

Mind you, my .270 rifle has a fixed 4X scope (I told you that I rarely take shots over 100-yards so the fixed four is ideal for me) and this load gives me sub-MOA groups all day long. This is a typical 0.80" group which I think I could do better with if I had a 9X or 12X scope on it.

270H4831SCload.jpg

This is a close approximation to what the Cor-Lokt factory ammo does for me, but I don't have a local source for Remington component bullets so a while back I bought several years worth of Hornady's from a store that was having an inventory reduction sale.

I don't have to futz with scope settings when switching from the handload to the factory load. I'd hunt with this handload but the Cor-Lokt holds together better in my experience so I stick with factory Remington (a box lasts me several seasons). Every other hunting cartridge I go to the field with is a handload, but the .270 Winchester by Remington Express is a keeper for me.

I'm glad you started this thread! I wish there were more handloaders on board.

Great info (and good grouping).

I wish there were more hand loaders AND more rifle shooters on board.

I'm happy though, I found some folks who like Mossberg as much as I do :)

Back