• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

So what's Google up to now?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Speculation is rampant, and some people think it has something to do with marketing of Google Glass. Doesn't make sense to me to build these things just for a marketing campaign.

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — After KPIX 5 reported on Google’s mysterious project on a barge off Treasure Island, reports have surfaced of the tech giant building similar floating structures outside of the Bay Area.

A report appearing in the Portland (Maine) Press Herald showed shipping containers stacked on a barge in Maine – with the structure appearing virtually identical to the Bay Area barge. Also, an unconfirmed report suggested a Google barge is taking shape in New London, Connecticut.

More: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/1 ... -bay-area/

My best guess.. Server farm. The "cloud" actually has to physically reside somewhere.

Am I the only one that thinks Google will eventually be SkyNet and Umbrella Corp rolled into one.

Server farm? Waaaay too easy of a terrorist target. Not saying you're wrong...just saying if it is-google didn't think this through.

Maybe an ark?!?!?! LOL.

Do you think a normal server farm is not an easy target? I work in IT. You would be amazed how unsecure some things are.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

MikeD said:
Maybe an ark?!?!?! LOL.

Do you think a normal server farm is not an easy target? I work in IT. You would be amazed how unsecure some things are.

A few years ago, there was some talk about putting facilities on floating platforms that would also serve as living quarters for developers, etc. The idea was that worker bees would live aboard to promote teamwork, etc. This may be something along those lines. Sort of like a geek slave barge. ;) :roll:

MikeD said:
Maybe an ark?!?!?! LOL.

I don't know much about normal server farms, but this thing is singled out, and would be easy to sink by a diver. Even a terrorist who don't know jack about computers could drive a boat up to this like we saw with the USS Cole or swim under it and plant explosives.

It's surprisingly simple.

They can't house these on the Continental U.S.

So.....

Shotgun Jeremy, I am not really sure what the territorial waters are to be honest.

Though I'm certain there is a lot of countries who do not even have 100 miles between them and another country.

Especially in Europe. The Channel tunnel between BC and France also comes to mind. It's what? 25 miles?

My reply was more tongue in cheek. But who knows what is going on right under our own noses, though with it being offshore, anything would be "safer" was my main point I was trying to make.

John A. said:
Shotgun Jeremy, I am not really sure what the territorial waters are to be honest.

Though I'm certain there is a lot of countries who do not even have 100 miles between them and another country.

Especially in Europe. The Channel tunnel between BC and France also comes to mind. It's what? 25 miles?

My reply was more tongue in cheek. But who knows what is going on right under our own noses, though with it being offshore, anything would be "safer" was my main point I was trying to make.

I believe territorial waters only extend out 12 nautical miles (about 14 regular miles) from the lowest point of the tidal area or shoreline out to the 12 mile limit. I'm familiar with this due to the fact there have been numerous disputes over the years to fishing rights on both our Atlantic and Pacific coasts.

I'm sure there is more to it than that...isn't there always?

As you mentioned John, I'm sure much happens right under our noses daily on both land and sea. That is a way of life for us now.

U.S. Maritime Limits & Boundaries

Maritime limits and boundaries for the United States are measured from the official U.S. baseline, recognized as the low-water line along the coast as marked on the NOAA nautical charts in accordance with the articles of the Law of the Sea. The Office of Coast Survey depicts on its nautical charts the territorial sea (12 nautical miles), contiguous zone (24nm), and exclusive economic zone (200nm, plus maritime boundaries with adjacent/opposite countries).

Back