• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tactical Light mount Options (nordic, aimpro forend, etc)

I just bought my 930spx ....post http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=990#p7771

Now I want to mod it up. First, since this is for HD, I want a tactical light. Most likely the TLR-1 (I don't want to spend the extra on a surefire).

The options I see are getting the nordic barrel clamp with rail. ~$50

Or, the aimpro tactical forend ->

http://www.aimprotactical.com/50554.html

Basically making it looking like this ->

100_2639.jpg

However, the aimpro costs about $150. However...I would be able to add other things in the future...like a 2+ shell carrier on the rail, plus the AFG2 (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG414/117), like what m24shooter has.

Any thoughts on which route is better? On m24shooter's shotgun, I see that he has the AFG2, and light, but no remote light switch...so that means he always has to move his hand from the AFG2 up to the light to turn off and on?

And does the light have any disadvantage of being mounted farther back on the rail instead of up closer on the nordic clamp?

Seriously, last question. Doesnt' the nordic clamp get a little annoying to always have to unmount in order to clean the gun?

Re: Tactical Light mount Options (nordic, aimpro forend, etc

Here is what I would do; first order the Nordic Components barrel/magazine clamp with tactical rail. Use that as your way of mounting a light till you decide to order the AIMPRO tri-rail. My reason for purchasing them in that order is that you will need the Nordic Components barrel/magazine clamp regardless of mounting a light to add strength to your magazine tube. Then when funds become available you can add the AIMPRO tri-rail along with all the accessories that you desire. It is a bit annoying to remove the clamp each time you want to strip down the gun but for me it is worth the added strength to the magazine tube.

Do you really need the clamp for extra strength? Well....I guess its meant to protect you from bumping the shotgun on something and bending the extension, correct?

And...will the nordic clamp work on the choate extender?

Seeing how little of a bend it takes to stop the magazine from working correctly (look at all the issues the 930 SPX has had from the crooked choate tubes) keeps me in the camp that you can never protect it to much. I don't see any reason why the Nordic Components clamp wouldn't fit the choate magazine tube but I don't know for sure.

do seriously consider using the clamp for the extention. one reason i haven't yet is due to the choate's already being bent from the factory. another reason to get the clamp is because let's face it, it's drop dead sexy.

mackgriggs said:
Any thoughts on which route is better?
Totally user dependant. If you think you might need rails for lights, ammo holders, grip, and MRDS then the Aimpro will work for you. If you just need a place to put a light, the Nordic is for you. Of course those are the functional answers; if you just want one or the other or like the looks of one better, then that one is for you.
On m24shooter's shotgun, I see that he has the AFG2, and light, but no remote light switch...so that means he always has to move his hand from the AFG2 up to the light to turn off and on?
No, that means that I activate the light with support hand without removing it from the AFG2.
And does the light have any disadvantage of being mounted farther back on the rail instead of up closer on the nordic clamp?
The farther back on the rail you have a light mounted, the more shadow you get from the muzzle. If the mount is closer to the muzzle, you get less shadow. I'm actually running a hybrid now with the light mounted on the Nordic rail and the remote switch running back and secured to the aimpro rail with a switch cutout rail cover.
Seriously, last question. Doesnt' the nordic clamp get a little annoying to always have to unmount in order to clean the gun?
Not if you have the Nordic extension. The extension was designed so that you would not have to remove it in order to clean the shotgun. You simply unscrew the end cap. With this setup you don't have to remove the extension meaning you also don't have to remove the mag tube clamp.

mackgriggs said:
Do you really need the clamp for extra strength? Well....I guess its meant to protect you from bumping the shotgun on something and bending the extension, correct?
Only if you want to keep the extension from being bent. The mag tube extension weaknesses are the threaded area that engages the mag tube body and the extended lever of the mag tube being unsupported. If you don't every do anything strenuous with your shotgun, it may never be a problem. However, all it would take is one bad bump or fall to knock it out of alignment or dent it. No things may have to line up just right for that to happen, but it does happen.
And...will the nordic clamp work on the choate extender?
I believe it does. But it has been a long time since I used the OEM part so I can't state that with total certainty.

Thank you very much for your replies...extremely helpful.

@m24shooter

When you bought the remote light switch, did it come with the mounting plate for the rail or did you have to find a custom part? I know the remote light switches come with screws, but wasn't sure about the rail.

Also.....for a weapon mounted light....if I'm not willing to pay for a surefire, is the tlr-1 just about the only tactical light in that price range that does allow for a remote switch? Do any of the insight lights allow for that?

mackgriggs said:
When you bought the remote light switch, did it come with the mounting plate for the rail or did you have to find a custom part? I know the remote light switches come with screws, but wasn't sure about the rail.
The remote switch and backing plate comes with screws and a pair of switch holders.
Also.....for a weapon mounted light....if I'm not willing to pay for a surefire, is the tlr-1 just about the only tactical light in that price range that does allow for a remote switch? Do any of the insight lights allow for that?
There are some other options. You could go with a SF G2 style and run a SF remote switch tail cap. I would replace the lamp assembly with an LED head to minimize breakage, improve battery life, and dramatically improve lamp life. You could position the light where you could still operate the standard tailcap with your support thumb or forefinger.
There used to be some remote switches for the insight lights, but I don't know if they still make them.

There are some other options. You could go with a SF G2 style and run a SF remote switch tail cap. I would replace the lamp assembly with an LED head to minimize breakage, improve battery life, and dramatically improve lamp life. You could position the light where you could still operate the standard tailcap with your support thumb or forefinger.

Is this the light you are talking about?

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

If so, thats fine to by a handheld light....as long as it can still the recoil abuse? The g2 is cheap, and still only 4.4 ounces, and length isn't a concern b/c its on a shotgun (in comparison to my glock 19).

What kind of mounting system would you need to attach that handheld?

mackgriggs said:
Is this the light you are talking about?

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led
Yes.
If so, thats fine to by a handheld light....as long as it can still the recoil abuse?
That's why I specified the LED version. The incan version is used by a metric buttload of people on ARs. There are people using them on shotguns over on SGW. The nylon body gives some shock isolation. The LED gives a little more resilience as well, but a dedicated weaponlight head with a shock isolated bezel would be the best way to go.
I'm working under the rule you put in about not wanting to pay for a dedicated SF weaponlight or the SF 300 or Scout series. Keep in mind that part of the cost of weaponlights is absolutely knowing that they will withstand recoil and impact. When you want to come down in price, you are going to sacrifice something. The TLR, 300, Scout lights, and similar all have the capability to run remote switches. You can substitute other lights in, and some of those will run remotes. But you are going to have to accept some levels of compromise to get where you want for less than the price of the higher end lights. It can be done, you may just have to keep the limitations in mind.
IMO the TLR is probably the best weaponlight that will withstand recoil, allow for a remote or be run as is, and still doesn't cost over about $100 if you look.
The g2 is cheap, and still only 4.4 ounces, and length isn't a concern b/c its on a shotgun (in comparison to my glock 19).
True, but with a full width two cell body and large lamp head it is going to occupy a lot of space still.
What kind of mounting system would you need to attach that handheld?
Gear Sector has a dedicated mount, there are a number of 1" scope ring rail mounts, and I believe that CDM has some mounts that will work.

Anyone know who makes a push-on/off tail cap for the G2? I found it on Gander Mt. for a really good price, but the twist on/off or momentary push kind of leaves something to be desired.

Surefire. I think it is the Z32 or similar.
Get in touch with Kevin at brightflashlights.com and he will get you set up. His prices are below MAP for SF stuff, and he usually has a wide selection. He is willing to answer questions and if you tell him what role/use you're trying to fill, and what features you are looking for he will tell you exactly what you need.

m24shooter said:
Surefire. I think it is the Z32 or similar.
Get in touch with Kevin at brightflashlights.com and he will get you set up. His prices are below MAP for SF stuff, and he usually has a wide selection. He is willing to answer questions and if you tell him what role/use you're trying to fill, and what features you are looking for he will tell you exactly what you need.
since you guys are on flashlights have you guys looked @ www.lighthound.com I get my batteries there when I need them asap. If not I buy them thru AW manufacturer

mackgriggs said:
Do any of the insight lights allow for that?

Which Insight light do you have or were thinking about?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...gy-cfl-310-sg-shot-gun-remote-curly-cord.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/insight-technology-cfl-050-425-pistol-remote-switch.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/insight-technology-cfl-100-plug-style-pistol-remote-switch.html

Optics planet, Impact Guns stock a few different models.

Back