• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Utah Hunters Criticize Market Approach to Licenses and Conse

Re: Utah Hunters Criticize Market Approach to Licenses and C

Everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt, fish, etc, our natural resources. No one should be able to buy their way to the front of the line for licenses.

I see it more and more though where the game authorites are starting enact restrictions and procedures that are catereing more to the trophy hunters than contributuing to the overall health of the herd. Hunting is becomming less and less of a tradition and a past time and more and more of a "bigger is better" competition where you are laughed at if you don't tag a monster.

In Michigan the DNRE has started offering a "Dream Hunt" sweapstakes where you can buy as many entries as you want. The winners get one of each tag the following year. While I first though that this was pretty cool idea, the more I think about it, the more I feel like it's just an easy way for them to make money.

Even with the point system, I could apply til I'm dead for an elk permit (it's already been over 12 years) and never get one just due to the numbers of people applying vs. the number of permits available. Bear tags in high demand areas are only available very 5-7 years unless you get really, and I mean really lucky. People will flock to an opportunity to increase their odds. The agancies see this and over time will become more and more commercail till we get to the point where the average hunter will be excluded unless he owns property or can buy his/her way to the top.

It has begun...

Re: Utah Hunters Criticize Market Approach to Licenses and C

Yep, toady bean counters, opportunistic bureaucrats and greedy administrators will try and control anything that can be seen as an income stream and Joe Citizen can take a place at the back of the line - so often the deals are done at the edge of ethics and law before anyone outside the circle is even aware. From there on it becomes a battle back toward civil rights and common sense.

I was pleased to see the NY Times covering the issue and it's not just on-line filler it's in print above the line, front of section, color photo feature!

Back