• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Walmart rimfire challenge

BowerR64

.270 WIN
So im on day 2 of the walmart rimfire challenge. All 3 guns i bought from walmart as well as the ammo. Also the scopes are from walmart

25 yards 15 3/4" dots fired from each gun using 2-3 different types of ammo.

Top rifle is the Savage 64 auto loader fixed 4X centerpoint scope. Second is the Mossberg 702 plinkster 3-7X tasco scope. Last is the 715T it only has iron sights on it now, i might try it like that first and see how it does then put a scope on it if it performs super poorly.

Savage 64 1.54" average with Golden bullet target 36G and 1.25" with CCI target 36G

Total all 15 dots 5 shots each 1.11" average.

Mossberg 702 plinkster 1.15" average with winchester superX, .95 with CCI target, 1.25" with Golden bullets.

Total all 15 dots 5 shots each 1.11" average

Tomorrow or sunday ill run the 715T i need to clean it first.

Walmartrimfiregroup_zps45eacb84.jpg

Some one check my math. I cant believe they are both tied so far :eek:

70215dots_zps977b2fe6.jpg

Savage6415dots_zps491464ae.jpg

These Dots are from the birchwood casey splat targets. The dots you use to repair the splats or cover up the previous shots. Anyone can peel and stick the same 15, 3/4" dots at 25 yards.

Re: RE: Walmart rimfire challenge

Mossybloke said:
You have way too much time on your hands :)
I'm jealous

Not really, that was just an hour. It is nice im 5 miles from the range and get to shoot there for free though.

I didnt get a chance to get up there today i got up to late and couldnt get going. But i am going tomorrow for sure.

Re: RE: Walmart rimfire challenge

Mossybloke said:
You have way too much time on your hands :)
I'm jealous
Hang on - you're cutting a guy for finding time to shoot?! Remember - "gun forum" !? ;)

Well i shot the 715T handle version and it didnt do so good. I dont have a scope on it, the others do so to be fair ill need to mount a scope on it before i can qualify it as an entry.

Ive some how lost the top rail that goes on the handle. So till i can find that rail ill have to put this on hold. I know ive seen it laying around here some where i just cant seem to locate it at the moment.

My range has 15 minute cycles. Ever 15 minutes they call ceasefire. It usually takes one cycle to figure out how the ammo is shooting then 1 and a half cycles to shoot all 15 dots.

Its $3. an hour and i can get one gun test in an hour. I also load 5 rounds at a time so each dot gets a seperate mag.

Edit: I found it! Time to mount the scope and go shooting again!

I finally got to run some rounds threw my 715T-H (handle version)

I ran Golden bullet first 5 shots at 5 dots. 1.30" average, CCI target 1.20" average and then my favorite is winchester superX 1.50" average.

Total average of all 3 types of ammo is 1.40" 4X scope 25 yards.

The CCI is the most accurate ammo it seems with all 3 guns, i like the winchester superX though because of how it cycles. It feels to have just slightly more pop then the other 2. Im happy with all 3 types of ammo though, ide have fun with any of it if i could get a bunch of it for decent prices.

So as a conclusion the 2 traditional rifles are slightly more accurate. Not by much though

Ide bet with the right ammo and the right shooter either of them could do .75" groups easy.

Plinksterchallenge715T-H_zps0ea8af17.jpg

Back