• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning all. The warm spell continues. I imagine folks in the southwest get a chuckle watching the news idiots telling people how hot it is. Good grief, everyone knows how hot it is. Our high temp to date has been 108 and our high heat index (different day) has been 114. Pretty typical in much of the country this time of year.

Anyways, I don't have to shovel heat, and I can find shade if outdoors. You all have a great day and drink water.

It’s that time of year when I don’t bother to look at the thermometer. I do what I Gotta do and ignore it.

Yesterday I took it easy a little bit. I buffed that rim for a couple more hours, polished up all the spokes and nipples. I laced it back together and trued it up in the comfort of my office.

A3B6C4B7-BE0C-4D79-A656-E87166838E34.jpeg

74EE2F71-9874-4A1D-A54C-D2EB2ECE2D2D.jpeg

Today I took my wife out for breakfast on the Nomad and we had a nice little ride around Clovis.

375FFDF8-0247-4FE7-B23E-0F0CACFA9F76.jpeg

C2C8EE46-0CF0-499F-BC44-A6A75BE47F18.jpeg

E8AE412A-A5A5-4945-9336-DC22F52CF707.jpeg

41B2A70B-38B6-4CDF-A8C5-63AAE7881FA8.jpeg

51A11BFD-41E6-4D35-B688-93DC261F8A44.jpeg

1E799C9E-08B3-49BC-8088-BAE02C4BBB0A.jpeg

42F97541-8D7C-45D0-9287-60059DC08EDB.jpeg

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It certainly is lovely here in the mornings and we’ve had very cool nights. The days have been hot, but I have been avoiding the worst of it by building wheels in my house.

I ordered this 3-speed hub for the fatwheel.

E7CF4133-FA4A-47D0-99B5-F68BCF5C2BBE.jpeg
I’m making this front wheel into a rear wheel.
4C5C9283-3A90-4893-B49B-7AD204DEC93A.jpeg
This uses a strange plastic coated fabric rim liner.
B4F2E293-0E3B-4AE1-B855-4F366AA8D9D7.jpeg
Here she is all stripped down.

0EF8B9E0-143F-49A3-815C-C42EC49F1A35.jpeg
The online spoke length calculator tells me that my spokes will be 5 mm too long, but I will set it up and measure them also, before I order new spokes.

I wish I could clip these and re-thread them but a new set of spokes only cost about $60 and a spoke threading machine costs $1500-$5000

You can get a cheap spoke threading machine for a couple hundred dollars but everyone tells me that they are not suitable for doing entire sets of spokes but only onesies and twosies.

My intention is to build a complete custom bicycle around this wheel and hub.

I wish I could clip these and re-thread them but a new set of spokes only cost about $60 and a spoke threading machine costs $1500-$5000

Couldn't you clamp the spokes in a padded vise and run a die down them? Then grind to length?

I haven't really "tinkered" with bicycles since I was kid. Sure, I'll repair them with cables and tires and brake pads and whatnot but not anywhere near the intensity you are doing. I am enjoying your posts :) but they are reminding me I have a shed with 4 "mountain" style bikes in varying levels of disrepair and tire deflation... :( ;)

The spokes are upset threaded. They don’t have cut threads.

They are probably what are called "rolled" threads. When the spoke is still red-hot a roller die is pressed into the spoke as it is turned or vise-versa. At least that is how a bolt with rolled threads is made--I would venture a guess the procedure for spokes is similar...

Yes, they are rolled between little dies in a special spoke threader. Unfortunately good ones cost a fortune.

The steel is only upset about 0.010” and it is done cold.

I have an 11 gauge spoke which has a shank of 0.078” and a major thread diameter of 0.080” Minor dia is about 0.070”, and the threads are slightly barrel shaped.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.
1776D690-EA3A-48FA-A0E9-06A2508E1B16.jpeg

It was hot again yesterday and it has been 100 and more every day.

I’ve been working on a little coaster brake, and it’s an updated version of something that was made for a long time.

The main difference in all of them was the wedge assembly that engaged the brakes or the sprocket, depending on which way you peddled.

So this reminded me of the story of Alvin (AJ) Musselman.

His son Morris published a book called Wheels in His Head.

It’s a rather short but fun book, that has some very interesting history about tires, brakes, cars, bicycles, racing, airplanes, golf, & strange inventions.

My mom gave me a copy of that book when I was about seven years old, and I gave her one when she was about 87. I don’t have to read it again because the stories are still in my memory. This is one of the first things I read after I graduated from Little Golden Books and Quickdraw McGraw.

AJ was an early motorist & one of the tales is how he sold a man a car only because it was able to climb The steepest hill in town.

AJ Knew that the car couldn’t climb it even in low gear, but he boasted his car was so powerful it would climb it backwards.

The reverse gear was so low, that the underpowered car managed to climb the hill, and was sold on the spot.

There’s quite a bit of adventure too, touring with an automobile in the days before road maps, when you had to rely on the notes of other motorists.

People who were brought up on things like Google maps would be amazed to read that stuff.
Anyhow I need to spend some time cleaning up my junk yard today and I’ve got some bicycle parts to work on indoors where it’s cooler once it warms up.

Later I’m going to cook chicken à la Weber Smoky Mountain. It was Nitesite that recommended it to me 5 years ago, and it has served me very well.

Belated good morning to yous. Cool (78) and rainy. About an inch the past 18 hours here. Lots of places around have had considerably more. We needed rain desperately. I wish we could have had a little more and Kentucky a lot less.

Ya'll have a great day and be safe.

Good Morning Fellas

Given today's economy, higher inflation and now the recession my weekend delimma is do I buy gasoline or do I buy beer?

What say you?

Regards

Good morning all of yous. 73 and more rain. Mostly light with an occasional thunderstorm passing by. The forecast says off and on rain all weekend. We have a gun show in town Sunday that I think I will drive back for, we are going to the lake this afternoon. This a nice break, but it looks like we will be back in triple digits Tuesday and stay that way for at least 10 days.

Have a great day and be safe.

Given today's economy, higher inflation and now the recession my weekend delimma is do I buy gasoline or do I buy beer?

That could be a "question of the month"... :D

Your quandary reminds me of the back of this "underground" comic book. ;) And the answer is beer... :)

freefrank.jpg

Good morning guys.

We've been getting a lot of rain the last few days too.

And Wednesday night, was so much run in such a short amount of time that we got a bunch of flash flooding too.

I read where one family was washed down stream, resulting in four children perishing. That hurts my heart. Bad.

I’ve been seeing a lot of reports about the floods in eastern Kentucky. I remember my mom telling me about the Ohio river flooding out, and how she had to take a rowboat across flooded streets to go to school.

I am afraid that since my mom, and my father, and my aunts and uncles have all passed away, I have lost all track of my relatives back there. I have at least seven cousins there who I have not seen since 1966.

Good morning to all of yous. We drove to the lake yesterday. The afternoon and evening were very nice, then this morning more thunderstorms. One after another for hours on end and more to come. So far Tulsa has been missed but the radar shows rain moving in.

The weather is supposed to change for us overnight with the rain ending and clearing skies. Unfortunately it all moves east where it is not needed at this time.

You all stay safe and have a great day.

Yeah, we're expecting it to come through here, probably as early as late this evening. Maybe early in the morning. But, you can't stop the rain.

With as dry and bad as things are out west, I know that I shouldn't complain about the rain and need to be grateful for what we have.

Back