• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning to all. For the 2nd day in a row we should stay shy of 100. Lol. It won't last long.

We are heading home this afternoon. We are having a new a/c unit installed tomorrow. This one is for the upstairs, the lower is working fine, knock on wood, but both units were installed at the same time.

Anyways, ya'll have a great Sunday.

It looks like it’s going to be between 101 & 107 every day the coming week. But this is expected and I’m not complaining about it.

This is just the weather report lol.

If hot weather actually bothered me I would’ve moved 40 years ago.

Good morning. Clear skies, no wind, 72 degrees. A beautiful morning for sure. Our forecast for the next fourteen days is very warm. Starting Thursday we will have triple digits for at least 11 days in a row. Granted, it is just a forecast, but still...

Have a great day and be safe.

Good morning guys.
It'll be 101 F today, and I'll be hiding out from it once it gets hot.

I forgot to buy an oil filter for the Nomad so it's still on the jacks.
I'll get one today, but it'll be too hot to ride until well after sundown.

I got some serious foam in the bike seat now. My arthritic hands don't care for stretching upholstery, but it came out pretty nice.
bseat.jpeg

bseat1.jpeg

It has 9x the foam in the middle, tapered out all around to a feather.

But I could have tapered it a little more. The seat has a slight mushroom shape.

It's still cool, so I'm going for a ride to test it now.

Good morning Mossberg Owners. Much better than last night at least. I came down feeling awful yesterday evening.

I had a rotten headache night last last night, some inflamation, and did not get any rest. I think I actually slept soundly from 2:30 till 5 AM.

It might be an allergic reaction to some kind of plant or something because there is so much gardening around here. I ride my bicycle through all of it.

I only live 100 yards off the famous Blossom Trail.

I have an oil filter for the bike and one for the Tacoma, to but I did not have the energy to do anything more about it.

I think I’m starting to come to life now, and with another cup of tea & some breakfast maybe I will be able to get out there and crawl around on the floor.

Wow I just reread that last post and I must’ve been feeling like shit.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

Despite feeling like shit I crawled around on the floor and polished that gasket surface, and put my bike back together in three hours.

The windshield looks like crap and I don’t think I’m going to be able to buff it out. I’ve got some better stuff this time but it didn’t look good the last time I did it five years ago.

Do I want to spend over $600 for genuine Kawasaki Lexan?

I could buy a piece of acrylic and just cut a new windshield. I’d have to spend some time sanding the edge, but if I polish it with a heat gun it could look pretty good.

Or I could just take it off and sell the bike.

Soooo…. Here’s a bit of fake news.

6691D47D-55DB-498C-9B3E-2B3B698ECB16.jpeg

No ruling has been made in the Musk case. It’s total Clickbait talking about a completely different case.

It’s too early to start up the loud mufflers in my neighborhood. I’ll give people another 30 minutes…
C38FA314-60CD-4D42-8FD5-8C7F99639EDB.jpeg

It has been almost 4 years since I took the Nomad apart to do the output bearings and then the clutch. I was pretty anxious about the bearing setup, and it was made much worse when I rebuilt the clutch & it didn't work correctly. I was so upset that it didn't work well, I was discouraged form working on it. It ended up sitting another 2 years.

Until today.

Holly Moses! I forgot how this beast launches with a good clutch setup.

In the end I realize that I made several mistakes that caused me a lot of grief. First I put a taller and heavier tire on the back. This was too much extra load on the drivetrain. I've done the driveshaft 3 times. Increasing the torque from 81 to 90ft-lb made that worse. I should have kept the stock tire size or gone even shorter. This bike is already geared rather high.

Second, both the Lucas oil treatment and the 20-w50 oil were a bad idea. I should have just let it leak and tick. I certainly don't need the heavier oil with the new clutch.

Third I changed clutch fluid and changed the piston seal at the same time I dd the plates. I thought I had all the air out, but clearly I didn't. Time and gravity solved that issue eventually without my help. The hydraulics feel perfect, and with Barnett plates and a meanstreak spring the lockup is solid and slippage is easy to modulate.

Finally, I didn't realize Delo had added some moly to it's oil. I put it on a new clutch and I was lucky that it only has about 10% as much moly as car oils now. Not only didn't it release correctly, it slipped under lockup at high RPM. After two clutch flushings and two oil changes it is normal again.

I thought the first flush did nothing, but that was because I still had air in the line.

I forgot to pump up the tires though. They were like big squishy donuts riding around. It was probably about 25 psi instead of 40.

So much grip! I wasn't liking the new front tire much before, but now I think it just wants less air.

I decided that I needed to do some serious windshield polishing before I took the nomad back out on the road.

I think that’s going to be about the extent of today’s activities.

I actually planed to take my wife out for brunch but she has a baby shower, and I had too many tacos last night.

So now that the motorcycle is essentially taken care of, I can go back to work on the red car.

First I gotta clean up my junkyard and arrange a decent welding table.

But it’s great weather for Welding because you don’t have to preheat the metal as much.

A happy Saturday to you all.

Good morning all of yous. The forecast for Tulsa starting today...106, 100, 110, 107, 104, 104, 107, 108, 109, 108, 106, 104, 103, 103, 105.

Two weeks of July, then into August. A tad warm but I am acclimated now.

Ya'll have a great day.

Morning guys, I think this pretty much describes we world we live in these day. Not sure we're addressing the real problems or making much progress for the good of the Republic!

Regards

Screenshot_20220227-121846_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Good morning to all of yous. We will be a bit warm today, 108 and about 115 heat index, with a slight chance of a thunderstorm tonight. Lol, fat chance of that.

Have a great day and drink plenty of water.

We were expected to see 104 yesterday but it didn’t materialize and the previous day was overcast and cooler but today is expected to be 107.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that since Covid we don’t get as much smog blowing down here from the bay area, although we seem to have had even more pleasant breezes from that direction.

We make enough smog around here, so we don’t need to import any. But for years and years it was getting worse and worse and now it has been getting a little better.

I don’t think this has anything to do with electric cars. Many people just aren’t going to work, if they are in the professional community. They are telecommuting. That’s a lot of San Francisco. That’s a lot of Sacramento too.

By the way Mossberg Owners good morning, and I am carrying on with my brake fluid paint stripping experiment.

I don’t like to use caustic strippers. They are expensive and they leave scars on the metal from chemical reactions.

I found that ordinary brake fluid drained from an old car will soften the paint easily, and if you heat it up by putting it in a tin can in the Desert sun all day, the paint will literally turn to something like uncured latex paint, and you can wipe it off with a rag.

The residue dries to tiny flakes of rubber.

Unless, you bring it into the garage and let it cool off again all night, and then the paint re-solidifies and you have to heat it over. (I hope it works the same way the second time!)

I only actually wiped off one spoke before I was sidetracked to do some other job.
223ABDD0-1361-422D-BA97-FA5D6B1B92AE.jpeg
Anyhow this was not latex house paint but Chinese bicycle paint and who knows how it’s actually made.

I limit my contact, but it’s not that noxious. It sucks the moisture out though.

Doing the hoop I decided to use a pint of stripper I had left. It is so messy and noxious, and it’s not 100% effective, where the brake fluid was one shot. But I needed to use it up.

This was after 3 applications. About 12% left.
A950F5CC-F4C8-4531-8977-47D653ABE042.jpeg
It only takes half the paint off each time you apply it. This is Zeno’s paradox. Each step never gets you more than half the remaining way.

I had pints of old brake fluid, so that hoop is soaking in a bag of it.

Spokes all came out really nice though.
D8209B55-0D20-4E22-BE5B-5BF39A913743.jpeg

Last edited:
It only takes half the paint off each time you apply it. This is Zeno’s paradox. Each step never gets you more than half the remaining way.

Similarity between stripping paint and cutting hair.
WjN2aop.jpg

Yesterday I took my brother-in-law and sister out for lunch. It was his 91st birthday.

I spent some time truing the wheel on my bicycle, & I spent several hours cleaning up this hoop and buffing it.1BB387C2-A14A-4913-8657-2DA7B447F7F2.jpeg

I’ll have to clear coat all the stuff before I put it together.

9B733960-FA16-4C49-9BE9-6B60B4FABE2D.jpeg

That was originally just a painted rim, and there were lots of scratches and die marks to buff out.

It was amazingly hot but it’s (as they say) a dry heat.
58E99FED-CD0C-49CD-8B95-08AF06BE9FBE.jpeg
I was out there cleaning and buffing from 1:30 until 7:30.

But I was under the blue awning & that cuts a lot of the heat rays, and by that time the sun is on the other side of my house. Also I’m working in a natural breezeway and I get a nice bit of air.

If I get desperate I have a big fan. But the fact is it wasn’t that bad for me. After all these years in the desert I’m used to it.

I go bike riding in the morning now before the sun gets too hot. There’s a view looking down our street but you can’t see my house in this picture.
A14C9357-E1C7-492D-9894-89E9B6CC1821.jpeg

Back