• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Well hopefully we’re bottoming out on the dry cycle and it’s gonna start increasing the rain here slightly year by year.

It’s kind of weird that we’re not seeing the mandated water restrictions I was expecting because all the reservoirs are down to about 1/4 of capacity. Maybe they’re going to wait till we’re down to 1/8 this time, So they don’t have to mandate restrictions right before the election.

I am wishing Gavin Newson a hearty case of monkeypox right now. That jackass is going to drive the country right into a wall if he gets the White House.

Good morning all. 75 degrees with south wind 5 mph and 84% humidity. Muggy to say the least. We are warming again with temps between 98 and 104 forecast for the next 7 or 8 days.

We had a gun show in Tulsa over the weekend but I decided not to go. I'm certain I can find a better deal on ammo or firearms right in town. And the weather was too nice to spend indoors.

Have a great day and be safe.

...There’s quite a bit of adventure too, touring with an automobile in the days before road maps, when you had to rely on the notes of other motorists.

When my grandmother [AK] died back about 1960 she had a collection of notebooks of hand drawn maps she had made in the early 1920s into the '30s.
In the winter they would motor from WI to Deland FL, usually with at least one other family of relatives in their autos.

AK would make her notes about places that would let the stay overnight, which hardware stores sold gas oil, pictures of unusual fence shapes, the best places to ford creeks, food stores and names of folks that would help them in various ways.

These notebooks were hand-copied a few times and passed on to relatives and updated each round trip. I never saw any books except the originals that were still in her collection. I wish I had the sense to have copies made of those, but I was pretty young then and didn't appreciate art and craft.

Later in the 1930s, AAA came out with books they would send members. They were called Triptiks. My dad used to get the AAA maps and Triptiks by mail before we set out on summer trips. The forerunners of GPS?

Good morning to all of yous. We are heading back to 100+ today after a 4 day reprieve. We did get a good bit of rain which we really needed. I wish we had got more and Kentucky less.

A trip to the dog park this morning before the heat becomes too much, then errands this afternoon. Have a great day.

We were scheduled for more storms yesterday, but it was mostly clear skies. This morning looks good too. I'm hoping it holds out like that for a few days to give the ground some time to get un-soggy.

Well I don’t know what happened, but we actually got a freak rain shower yesterday, while I was out riding bicycles with my wife.
CB85A89A-F554-4516-8461-4296F47EA4B3.jpeg
We never get rain this time of year but this was actually enough to soak my pants through. I had to wipe the bicycles off after.
But today it was dry and sunny when I went out to ride.

I am building a wheel for another bicycle and I just got a new tire for it this morning.
7A03C57B-3837-4A96-85D8-73ABEC8BFA73.jpeg

6A69A872-5610-4BC6-914C-9A4961B26D80.jpeg

Front has cheap chinese tire…
603C1BCD-5C5C-442B-9D1D-BB6190961C48.jpeg

The new tire is the same as the one on the bike I am riding now so same as this.
427CBEDD-F8C3-4D06-AB7D-5FBB4A59CBEF.jpeg

Hey guys. Braving the heat here to do a few things outdoors, but my major effort today was riding the bicycle.
lolz.jpeg
I stripped down this LOL Surprise! 16" bike, mainly for the front wheel, but I have been planning to use that frame for a welding project.
Also I need some TIG practice before I cut the Mongoose, plus this bike was free.
If I blow a hole in it I won't care. I want to setup purge gas too. It's a chance to play.

Here's a digital composite mockup.
rat2022.jpg

The blue frame is left over from a Cheap Huffy.

I hope you guys are all doing well today.

Caddmann, the bikes are pretty cool.

I broke a few frames back in my day doing stunts.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It is raining here to this morning and everybody is extremely happy about it because this is the first good rain shower we have had in months. Otherwise it’s just been a drizzle here and drop there.

I skipped the bicycle riding this morning, but my wife went out walking the dogs, and she got caught in it when it started about 7 AM.

I’m gonna hang out in the boat yard today tinkering. I hope you all have an equally undemanding situation.

My daughter and son-in-law had a swimming pool installed, and they finally got it full on Wednesday.
And today it gets rained on.
9BFEB65F-E54B-4B8C-8029-24D4286FF769.jpeg
She starts teaching assignments at the local Elementary school by her house on Monday. It’s a new job for her and a new house and a new husband all in the space of 15 mos.

My elder daughter bought another house after selling hers in Clovis, and she moved to be closer to her mother who is living alone in some seniors apartment place. I don’t keep track of my first wife but I convinced my daughter to go help her. She’s never had a real job since she met me and quit working in 1978.

She might’ve made a few dollars that were taxable over the years, but I don’t know what she paid into Social Security if any.

Anyhow, my kids now live close to her but about an hour from me by car. This is OK because I can see them anytime I want to drive, and makes it more difficult for them to drag their cars over here to be repaired.

My daughter and son-in-law had a swimming pool installed, and they finally got it full on Wednesday.

We had our pool resurfaced when we moved in. It is cool how the surface turns from whitish to "blue" once you start filling it. :) At the time, the kids were very young but they both were swimming unassisted by 3yo (with no floatie vest). I trained them how to be a "lifeguard" by retrieving weights from the 8' bottom should a friend inhale water. But 90% of their friends were great swimmers like them and we did not have a fence nor is the pool screened in. The pool got a lot of use for their first 13 years. Teen years, not so much. Lately, my son and GF have been using it about 2x a week and me about 1x but it is like jumping into a hot tub... :(

Well fellas, looks like the kung flu finally caught up to my household. Wife was notified today she had it. After 2 negative home tests the government gave. One of which, was taken about 2 hours before the one at the doctors office.

Weird, huh?

Son has been stuffy for about 3 days. No fever. Some sore throat but he said other than his nose being crazy stuffy, he's feeling pretty good. Is in the den talking on the phone with his girlfriend at the moment laughing and going on with her. They had a date, but he had to call it off.

Wife has been feeling worse and last night started running a low fever but chilling. Got up and wasn't feeling better, so she took another of the governments free tests and said it was negative again so she went to the doctor office anyway. They originally told her that they thought it was the rhinovirus (cold) but called her about 2 hours later and told her it was covid.

So far, after 3 days, somehow I have avoided catching it, but it's probably a matter of time at this point. I'm surrounded by it and while I've been trying to keep everything wiped down with clorox wipes and lysol, they have only today decided to stay in one spot.

I told my wife at this point, that was senseless because for the last 3 days they've roamed the house in circles anyway. But, it is what it is.

I have the air filter going in the living room at the moment where she has spent most of her time. Tonight, I'm going to let it run all night in the den where my boy has mostly been. Maybe can try to keep it down that way some??/

Hey Mossberg Owners.

I got the Sturmey-Archer hub all laced up properly on my bike, after a couple tries, and some fussing around with shim washers and jam nuts.
C99BCB79-B081-46F5-A9EC-E69BAC8140D9.jpeg
I also had to bend the rear stays closer together, which I did with a stick and a piece of clothesline, using the tourniquet method.

Because I wanted to keep the dual front sprockets, I had to run a chain tensioner, and right now I’m just using the old derailleur.
C77CED41-23E5-42B0-BDD4-8492E7C42968.jpeg
It’s locked in position with a scrap of cable.
364D8654-358B-41E8-9447-86857801E217.jpeg

The old Shimano shifter cable still runs the Sturmey.
9A76F408-2EAE-4295-9B77-19316E5760F6.jpeg

The new hub runs off the old Shimano shifter in third fifth and seventh gear.

The ratios all seem a little taller than I thought they were but this thing is sturdy and I don’t think I’m going to outlast it.

Well my brother-in-law is in the hospital at 91 years old and he may not be coming out. I got the bad news today because it was my sister‘s birthday and we had planned to go out for lunch.

So we went to lunch without him and it was about all we could do as people are so worried about monkeypox Covid that you can’t get into the hospital unless you’re bleeding.

Well fellas, looks like the kung flu finally caught up to my household. Wife was notified today she had it. After 2 negative home tests the government gave. One of which, was taken about 2 hours before the one at the doctors office.

Weird, huh?

Son has been stuffy for about 3 days. No fever. Some sore throat but he said other than his nose being crazy stuffy, he's feeling pretty good. Is in the den talking on the phone with his girlfriend at the moment laughing and going on with her. They had a date, but he had to call it off.

Wife has been feeling worse and last night started running a low fever but chilling. Got up and wasn't feeling better, so she took another of the governments free tests and said it was negative again so she went to the doctor office anyway. They originally told her that they thought it was the rhinovirus (cold) but called her about 2 hours later and told her it was covid.

So far, after 3 days, somehow I have avoided catching it, but it's probably a matter of time at this point. I'm surrounded by it and while I've been trying to keep everything wiped down with clorox wipes and lysol, they have only today decided to stay in one spot.

I told my wife at this point, that was senseless because for the last 3 days they've roamed the house in circles anyway. But, it is what it is.

I have the air filter going in the living room at the moment where she has spent most of her time. Tonight, I'm going to let it run all night in the den where my boy has mostly been. Maybe can try to keep it down that way some??/

I’d be hiding out in the garage or the welding shed for the duration, if I was worried about catching it. I’m really not worried, because I’ve been exposed to the grandkids and the children and I didn’t catch it from them hugging and kissing me. I don’t think I’m gonna catch it from a stray waiter

I'm sorry to hear that caddmann.

Thank you John. This is not unexpected because he’s been in bad shape for a while. Still you don’t want to have your husband hauled away in an ambulance on your birthday under any conditions.

The man has already had three strokes and he has a pacemaker. This is probably his last rodeo.

I certainly understand.

My Dad passed away a few days after my Mom's bday. So, I understand what you're saying all too well. Another example, I had a good friend (that was more like my little brother) who was buried on Christmas Eve. Mostly because they rushed to bury him so they wouldn't have to do it on Christmas day. I still can't hardly hear the song silent night. It just tears my heart out. And it's been more than 25 years now. So, I understand what you are saying. There is never a good time for something like that. But there are times when it probably couldn't get any worse either.

As for the kung flu, if I catch it I catch it. I'm not hiding from anything. Nor have I been the last several years. I think it's safe to say that if I haven't been exposed to it by now, I won't ever be.

Back