• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Break-in at my house

I had a break-in at my house this week. The bastards did it in broad daylight and got away with quite a lot. I live in a quiet sleepy town in a very quiet area and quite frankly this isn't something that I would expect.

I had to have the police clear the house because it was left with the door open and didn't know who was in there and possible with any of my firearms.

I am making house repairs, cleaning up the mess that both the theives and the police made, and been dealing with an emotional rollercoaster. I have also been "sleeping" with my 590A1 VERY close by (one of the things they apparently missed). According to the police this is something that has been ramping up recently in our area and is getting "more common than we care to think".

Helpful hints that I can share from my experience.
1. Do these things ASAP. "Tomorrow" doesn't seem to come.
2. Make a list of all important items you would miss complete with model & serial numbers if applicable so they can be identified from pawn shops etc.
3. Orginize your paperwork so you can find the things you need without hours of sorting first. You will not want to do that while dealing with something else. (luckily, we are both anal about our filing and knew where everything was)
4. They WILL get into things that you don't think they will or want them to. If they can't open it there and they can grab it, they will just open/unlock/destroy it elsewhere where they have more time. Try to conceal hiding places that aren't obvious, and make sure they aren't portable enough or are able to be carried out. Even large gun safes can be put on a dolly and carried away.
5. Alarm systems (not silent, you want them to know it is there) are a good way to make them rather go next door where it may be less of a hassle.
6. If they WANT to get in, they will. They knew how to destroy what they needed to gain access. Just make as many OBVIOUS obsticles in their way and maybe they will look for an easier job.
7. Those pretty short brass screws that come with all doorknobs and locks are CRAP. Replace them with 3" ruggid ones in both the door and frame so they are imbedded in the studs. (hinges too) Make them work for their free stuff.

I am sure I could go on and on, but this is more theropy than anything else I guess. I have a long road to run until I feel "safe" again, but I am working on it.

Damn Rip, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you and your wife can get to a safer feeling soon. In the mean time I wish you luck with the clean up and upgrades. I know from experience the toll it can take on you, I'm just glad I didn't have kids when it happened to me. If you need any help, or if there is anything any of us can do for you, please let us know. Our prayers will included you and let's hope the police can nab this guy(s).

Hi I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope all will get worked out. This happened to my daughter several years ago when her grandmother was there for a while, as soon as he saw her he took off and it ended with him in jail and GM very scared. The next day I had new steel entrance doors put in with the screws you are talking about. Again I am sorry that you and your family had to go thru this.

Dude ! Well good advice. Hope they dont come back.....set some bear traps

...and to boot when I told my insurance agency about the danger of potential loss for firearms, his reply was, "All the more reason not to have any to begin with." This AFTER I was talking to one of his sub-agents that tried pushing an auto policy on me while I was trying to work out the policy for the break-in.

I am changing companies away from these Allstate jackasses just as soon as I am done with this claim.

Ripsnortr said:
...and to boot when I told my insurance agency about the danger of potential loss for firearms, his reply was, "All the more reason not to have any to begin with." This AFTER I was talking to one of his sub-agents that tried pushing an auto policy on me while I was trying to work out the policy for the break-in.

I am changing companies away from these Allstate jackasses just as soon as I am done with this claim.

Do that, I got away from them a couple of years ago...

hmm... that is just f****d up.

definitely look into getting a dog.
dogs are great.
my neighbors were broken into a while ago. during the day as well...and they didn't have a dog. yet the BG parked in my driveway. when i came home i heard the dog. i think she has never barked so much. she was a little hoarse the next day. it was kinda funny.
back to the point. the neighbor and i, and the cops, thought that our dog saved us from getting robbed. they must have wanted our house but heard the dog....she is a brindle pit bull/ black lab with a hell of a bark. she sounds mean. and everyone thinks she is. just the way i like it. stay tfo my house bitch.

also. about the 3' screws. get deck screws. they are tougher than the run of the mill stuff you all are probably thinking of. they have great shear strength as opposed to just 3" drywall screws. they might have a star head instead of the phillips head, but if you buy a box they always have a bit included. also, when you do install them, if you have a impact drillgun they will be much easier to install.

i hate to hear the news you have. but hopefully once is enough and they don't pull a repeat.
glad you are ok.

Rip man, sorry y'all are goin through this but appreciate your post and advice. Thanks for lookin out.

I am so sorry to hear about your incident...I have been fortunate enough to not experience an event such as you describe but I can only imagine how you feel right now. If there is anything we can do just let us know. Keep us updated.

Rip,
Sorry to hear of the break-in. i had one years ago, fortunately I was not home either. It is a horrible feeling having your home "invaded" and privacy compromised. First thing I did was a stronger solid door.
Also- get a "decent" lock set. Spend the money at least $100 or more. Cheap sets can be "bumped"
for access with a cut down key like it wasn't even there. Make sure you use long enough screws to get thru the studs holding the frame. One thing I did when the new door was installed- Had a full length of 3/4", 3/32 angle steel on the inside edge of the frame, both sides, installed. Made it a little hard to trim out- but a battering ram won't break thru! Insurance paid for all of it! Also if you have glass patio doors- make sure you have "charlie bars" installed when closed.

Sorry to hear about the break-in Rip...glad you and the family are safe.

Stuff can be replaced...family cannot !!

New door installed, looking into those metal reinforcements.

Alarm system is paid for and being installed complete with obnoxious outdoor siren.

Insurance is "kinda" covering my losses, and I don't expect any more after unloading meantily on the dumbass that owns the local branch.

Friends and family are helping mop up the rest. Several home projects are also now on the fast track.

I also have to decline a last minute business trip that my boss is trying to send me on next week becuase I WILL NOT be leaving her home alone for ANY reason overnight for a while.

I will get over it, but for now, I am just setting up a mental safety net. Time will help.

I have been thinking. Should we use this as a starting point,if you will, as a sticky as to what we have done to make our homes safe so everyone can benefit from all of the experience? Maybe include how we have secured our weapons and even perhaps to include ideas for safe rooms and other things. Well what do you all think?

Back