• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 Builders?

All of my NFA stuff has been done as an individual. I have several reasons for that, but there are times when I wish I had a trust because I'm not getting any younger and it would make transfer to my heirs more simple since I could list them on the trust beforehand because I would not be around to help them wade through the paperwork after I kick the bucket obviously.

They will still transfer tax free to whomever I choose regardless of whether individual or trust, and the executor of the estate would still be legally allowed to be in possession and handle the transfer in my absence, but I would feel better about it if I could just write a few names down and be done.

That is the only reason that I would prefer a trust.

As for allowing other people access to my NFA stuff, I don't do that now, so the short answer is I won't do it later either. For that matter, only close family even know about their existence. It's not like my neighbors knocks on my door to borrow my suppressed machinegun. Privacy and OPSEC takes precedence to keep the thieves at bay. You can't steal what you don't know about or can't find. Don't advertise.

Sorry for my brief leave of absence... little unpredicted chain of events took place that needed handled...

Ordered the last batch of pieces, parts, accessories for my build. Everything pertinent to the operational part of my rifle will be in by March 4. According to Ebay that is.. I have a Magpul MS3 sling coming later in the month with receiver end plate mount and rail mount for it. I did have a "TAC Lite" cree LED in my cart but it managed to not get ordered some how.. later date I presume lol

Edit: what's the easiest way to remove krylon from a receiver set?

a myriad of paint removers, but just know that once something is painted, you can usually tell that it was faintly from then on.

hello kitty 005.JPG
42742.jpg

Well, after some serious myriad of strippers as suggested... I still can't get the krylon out of the Magwell, trigger group pocket and on the upper inside the charging handle channel, forward assist port and in the corners pretty much... so a local company is gonna do me a favor (they are old business partners with my father) and have my stuff dipped in some goofy eco friendly super chemical stripper and rip her back down to the bare aluminum.

Then I'm having it all professionally cerakoted in LWRC Patriot Brown :) all for under $200. Was going for Barrett Bronze but it has way too much shine. I REALLY like the LVOA Warsport in Low Viz OD Green but I want something different and Patriot Brown is sweet! Safety Orange was next on the list ;)

I have several Spike Tactical Lower Recievers striped that I got for a song and dance and a box full of parts and haven't gotten around to doing a whole lot with them. One is going to be a 16 barreled 300 Black Out, not sure about the other 3 yet, but I am sure I will figure it out when the time comes.

Dude, if your wife asks, we DID NOT tell you to a bunch of strippers were the answer!
Hahaha I'm dying!!! She doesn't ever have to find out... they weren't cheap strippers either :S

MEC is a local company who specializes in eco friendly removal of just about anything that's applied to metal. They currently 100% remove every thing from tank and humvee parts for the military and then a manufacturing facility in Johnstown refurbishes said parts and reassembles the vehicles... any who they stripped my lower, upper and 15" quad rail for $25 out the door lol

AAAHHH....CHOO!!! Excuse me... didn't mean to drag every ones attention away from this very happening thread topic ;)

Figured I'd toss a photo of my final product up, pending a possible switch up of the barrel lol looking at getting a 14.5" barrel and pinning a Noveske KX3 or Rousch Wild Boar brake

not sure about the other 3 yet, but I am sure I will figure it out when the time comes.

If you decide to let one go... I call first dibs if the price is right ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a budget build for sure, nothing super flashy other than the Cerakote Job lol

Been toying the idea of another build already... but 1911 80% lowers offer a whole new level build difficulty and I'm researching how much hand fitting is actually required and how difficult it is

Good luck and keep us posted.

Smithing a 1911 is an art and many certified gunsmiths still manage to muck it up. Nothing is mil-spec like on an AR-15 or ever truly drop in. Each piece requires hand fitting and the whole process is very labor intensive. Be prepared to spend about two times the average cost of a quality factory built 1911 on parts and tools...

Really? :( I was hoping a Dremel, hammer and sandpaper would be enough... ;) hahaha

I'm still considering it, nothing for sure. I may even do an 80% AR lower build to try. I wish there were an AR style 1911... as in 100% parts compatibility (between manufacturers) and drop in stuff. Eliminating the need for hand fitting and all the hoopla. I'm surprised with today's market and industry that they haven't made it yet.

I've never had a true drop-in replacement 1911 part. Even the one's advertised as drop-in have all required some fitting...

Exactly.. So why, with such a popular pistol platform, has the industry not set a standard so that the Everyday Joe can buy the parts he wants and slap them on a frame to make a pistol perfect for him??? Oh wait.. I guess there is always Glock :p lol

Back