• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Field Stripped New Mossberg .410 gauge 500 series shotgun (pump action)

OK, a couple of you already know this but yesterday was a major breakthrough for me. After watching several videos on field stripping and reassembly of the Mossberg 500, I decided I was ready to try and field strip it and reassemble it again. I had it field stripped, reassembled, and working again after about ten minutes. Tonight I tried it again and did it in five minutes. I think now I'm ready to clean it...I've seen a couple of videos but I was wondering if you guys had any advice. Thanks again!

OK, new (but related) question. I'm getting ready to clean my gun...and I don't mean the barrel only. I mean clean it. I've watched some videos. In some, they don't do anything to the trigger housing except take it out and put it in. In others, they clean and lube it.

Honestly, I'm okay with it, either way. What I want to know is what's best for the gun. How often should the trigger group be cleaned, if at all (I'm assuming that at some point it WILL have to be cleaned)? Thanks again ;)

Do not take apart your trigger group. Putting them back together is not fun!
I just take mine out and spray it with some CLP. Then blow it out with my compressor. No compressor, then one of those compressed air cans you use for blowing off your keyboard will work fine.
That is all I do and all my 500 keep going bang when I want them to.

^^^ exactly what Lenny said!!!
I haven't even taken mine apart yet. I don't plan on it either....a good soak is good.

"Do not take apart your trigger group. Putting them back together is not fun!"

That's not in the plan...that makes me sick just thinking about it :(...and that's not what the guys in the video did, they just took it out and cleaned it. Now one guy did his a little different, he actually had the hammer and one other part up, and he cleaned and lubed it like that (not much oil though, and he wiped it right off), but he still didn't take it apart. I'll see if I can find it so you'll know what I'm talking about.

That's what I'm referring to but I am concerned about too much oil in the trigger group.

I do have some CLP and I'm leaning toward using that. I like the fact that it would leave a light coat of oil when I dry it.

Use the CLP exactly like I said and your gun will be fine. If you want to spray it down with the hammer up, just be careful and let it come up slowly while pulling the trigger. Remember to reset it before putting it back in the gun.

Last edited:
I know in the title it says "new", but is this brand new outa the box? Or just new to you, (meaning used)...
If it's used and the trigger group looks kinda yukky, then soak it but if it's new new...then a coat of the rem oil is sufficient....

I know in the title it says "new", but is this brand new outa the box? Or just new to you, (meaning used)...
If it's used and the trigger group looks kinda yukky, then soak it but if it's new new...then a coat of the rem oil is sufficient....

New out of the box.

Brand new I'd disassemble, clean, and degrease the entire shotgun inside and out all except for the trigger group which I'd leave in tact.

For the trigger groups I use a can of Birchwood Casey 'Gun Scrubber'. This can be found at most any sporting goods store, WalMart, etc. It's a pressurized solvent that when applied with the included thin red tube has enough pressure to get down in the little cracks and crevasses between all the small trigger parts to blow out any grease or fouling once it's been used for a while. Safety glasses are recommended when using this solvent as it really burns when it accidentally gets in your eyes. Not going to tell you how I know that. It air dries fast on it's own, so there's no need to wipe off any excess solvent. Once it's dry I apply a minimal amount of Rem Oil with a cutip to all the internal metal surfaces and moving parts, paying particular attention to any surfaces where metal contacts metal. Once applied, I wipe off any excess with the dry side of the cutip. Too much oil or lubricant will only attract and gather fouling which will make subsequent cleanings more time consuming.

I use the same Gun Scrubber solvent to clean and degrease the rest of the shotgun. Mossberg has a tendency to cake their firearms with preservative before shipping. This factory grease is very thick and sticky. It attracts all kinds of grit and fouling, so making sure to remove it all will go a long way toward ensuring proper function. I spray the solvent on each part and rub with a toothbrush to break up any solid clumps. After that I apply a bit more solvent and wipe down with a rag, then repeat as necessary until the parts are squeaky clean.

Once everything is clean I like to use Birchwood Casey 'Barricade' to coat, seal, and protect the metal surfaces from rust. This is particularly important for the barrel and any small steel parts. The receiver is aluminum, which does not rust, so application is not needed there. Apply sparingly and wipe off any excess. Next I apply a small amount of Rem Oil to the surface of any moving parts that make contact with metal. Again, not much is needed and any excess should be wiped clean.

After all that, you're ready to reassemble and go shoot. I typically only clean my pump guns once a year and that's really only if I get bored. The only reason to clean them any more often would be if the action starts binding or sticking due to a buildup of fouling. I have a habit of running a bore snake through the barrel at the end of every range trip, while the barrel is still warm before I case the weapon for the trip home. This helps keep buildup in the barrel to a minimum by removing carbon and lead before it has a chance to fully cool and harden. I run the bore snake through the barrel at the start of every range trip as well. This ritual helps ensure that the barrel is clear of any debris and is safe to fire.

Please post up if you have any questions or need any further detail. Enjoy the experience, and be sure to let us know how it goes...

OK I cleaned and lubed it tonight. I think I did the lubing right. So far oil isn't running out of the receiver (or any other part). I'm thinking if I get too much it'd be excessively dirty after a day at the range. If it's not enough, that'd be another set of problems. Anything I should watch for, that would indicate too much or too little that I haven't listed?

Looks like you've got the pulse of it.

As long as the action is running smooth you should be good to go. As for the rest, if it's not dirty you're not trying hard enough... :D

As for the rest, if it's not dirty you're not trying hard enough... :D

I've gotta admit, I like that! LOL Seriously, though, I get the point...time to get in some range time! I'd like to get my mom to go with me since it was a gift from her. Now she actually hunted squirrel with a .410, but hers was a bolt action and it was at least fifty years ago. She doesn't remember what brand but we think either my cousins Gary or Donny have that gun. If Gary has it, it won't be a problem finding out, just for the knowledge. If Donny has it...that's another story...I have a crazy family. Generally harmless, but crazy LOL Thanks!

Back