• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.22 Pistols: Pics and Discussion

Re: 22lr Conversion Kits

Whatever keeps you shoot'n I'm all for it!

What revolver are you lookin at?

i didnt really catch the brand, but while were on the subject what are some pretty inexpensive, but reliable revolvers?

Finding that combination can be a challenge.

You've got your everyday bargain brands like Taurus, Charter, and Comanche, but reliability can be hit or miss with any of these. I'd go with a Taurus of the three due to their lifetime service and repair guarantee but of the three Taurus revolvers I've owned, two had issues out of the box that needed repair. Heritage makes their Rough Rider cowboy guns that sell for around $150-$180. I haven't heard much about em though.

S&W will likely give you the best reliability and performance, but their .22lr models are just about the same price as their center fire models ranging from $550-$800. Even with a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six cowboy action revolver you're lookin at spending $500 and up.

Have you thought of looking into a .22lr 1911? Colt, Browning, SIG, ATI, and several others are making dedicated .22lr 1911s that can be had for around $400. Not a bad way to go if you're looking for something other than a polymer plinker.

A conversion kit makes all the sense in the world if you are training with a capitol "T". 22LRs jam, double feed, stovepipe, fail to go into battery ALL THE TIME. The ammo is just not as consistent or clean as centerfire. You get to know your firearm really well, and get lots of opportunities to work on returning your weapon to battery without preplanning it! Let's call it a feature of 22s instead of a bug :lol: Not to mention just the thousands of rounds you get to put through your weapon getting to know the manual of arms of your primary weapon. A 1,100 rounds federal 22lr at wally world is about $35. 1,100 rounds of federal fmj 9mm is $220, if you can find more than 3 boxes of 9mm at your wally world. I rarely can at mine.

Sig also sells conversion kits for the 226 229 and 220 (not 100% sure on the 220, but I remember it pretty clearly)..

At my LGS now looking at a SIG Mosquito on sale for $250...

I agree 100% blue. The kits are great tools for the reasons you describe. But for the price, I'd still rather buy a dedicated plinker. It all boils down to the purpose shooting .22lr will serve for the individual. Whether you're training or just plinking, nobody can argue with the low relative cost of .22lr ammo.

yeah 22lr ammo is dirt cheap. If the conversion kit were not as pricey as a whole different firearm i would seriously think about it. I mean the conversion kit does pay for it self. I am torn.

EAINC said:
yeah 22lr ammo is dirt cheap. If the conversion kit were not as pricey as a whole different firearm i would seriously think about it. I mean the conversion kit does pay for it self. I am torn.

It really isn't too hard in my mind once you decide what you want to do with the gun. I don't see the value in having a whole different firearm that is just a plinker, when you can have the same grip, sights, and trigger pull as the gun you are going to count on when your life is on the line.

On the other hand, if you really want to get into competitive target shooting, or extreme range accuracy, a gun like a ruger MKiii target makes a lot of sense as a "gateway drug" to serious competition guns. Serious accuracy in 22lr in the $269 to $380 range new, and it comes with a rail for optics.

I have ruger 22s for target shooting, and the trigger pulls on them do nothing to improve my shooting with my "double action only" S&W M&P, or the Glock and XD I had before it. The trigger pulls are so different, my first shot when I switch over from one of my 22s to the M&P is a flyer, either at 12 o'clock around the two ring, or 8 o'clock, an inch and half outside the 1 ring! It's so consistent it's ridiculous when you consider I expect it! "Okay, weakhand filling the gap, pick up the trigger travel, exhale, squeeze the trigger... CRAP!" :lol: I probably average in the low 80% in the black at 25 yds after adjusting.

If it's plinking, might as well plink with your real gun. If it's target shooting, get a real target gun. I unfortunately fell in love with a gun for which there is currently not a conversion kit. Almost bought a Sig because of the convertibility, but I don't dig the action.

awright thanks blue. I have made the decision to purchase the conversion kit,

The one made by Advantage Arms. There kit looks more reliable and more well known.

Cool,

Be sure to post up a review once you're up and runnin with it. I'm interested to hear how it turns out...

Anyone have a GSG 1911 .22 Auto?

I went to a lgs today and purchased one ($319.95 plus tax and fees) but they don't have them in yet. I live in Socal so they have to make some changes to them before the great state of kookifornia will let them in. The only diff I can see from the photos is the rail on the front. Does anyone here have one, either Ca. or regular free state one?

Re: Anyone have a GSG 1911 .22 Auto?

Don't have one, but I've heard good things about em. I've had the chance to handle a few and they seem pretty well put together. Be sure to post up some pics when you're able to bring it home.

Re: Let's see your .22 pistols

GSG 1911-22 w/Pachmyr Grip Great gun, shoots accurately, 4000+ rounds since Nov. 2011[attachment=0]hpim0971ac1.jpg

Attachments

• hpim0971ac1.jpg
    hpim0971ac1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 591

Some nice 22's in here!!!

Was out this morning at the gun club with a buddy of mine that brought along his new SR22, awesome little gun. I've been a big fan of the P22 and MarkIII's but the SR22 could easily win me over.

Here is my MKIII.

2011-08-10_17-55-55_710.jpg

Back