• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Autoloader vs Pump

jjudson

Copper BB
I'm buying a Mossberg for our new home as soon as we move from New Jersey where it's practically impossible to buy a weapon. I travel a lot for work and want something my wife can depend on when I'm not around. She's small - only 100 pounds at 5' 4". She's also prone to being nervous in stressful situations. My plan is to have her fully trained on the use of the weapon, but I want to give her the gun that will best assist her in protecting herself, while also being available for my own use while I'm home. I weigh in at 172 and I'm 6 foot. So my question is this:

Which would be better for my wife, an autoloader or pump? I'm looking at either the 930 or the 500 or 590. What would you recommend and why? What after-market add-ons or modifications would you advise for your choice?

Thanks ahead...

Pump or semi is just a personal preference
Inexperienced people wil have issues with either. People tend to forget to pump a pump and they will unload a semi as fast as they can pull the trigger. Lots of practice with whatever platform you choose is key

I personally prefer a pump as that is what I've used my whole life and its what I can operate without thinking about ite

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Something to be said for the 930 - flip the safety, pull the trigger. MikeDs point is well taken - the semi will empty its magazine as fast as ( your nervous wife) can pull the trigger. With a large mag you could end up with that open plan living room that you have always dreamed of! See if you can borrow one of each and get some practice time - look for training programs. Comfort and proper state of mind count for a LOT in HD situations.

Good points all around Gentlemen.

I'm gonna throw my $.02 in here as well. Again a personal preference, but my choice would be a pump gun.

Take some time to read through the 930, 590, and 500 sub-forums in our Shotgun section and note the number of posts pertaining to functional issues and mechanical failures with each platform. The results will speak volumes where each of us will only be expressing opinions...

Plus, there is nothing like the sound of a pump, just that can send someone on the other side of the door running. :eek:

BowtieBill said:
Plus, there is nothing like the sound of a pump, just that can send someone on the other side of the door running. :eek:

I prefer to keep mine loaded. ;)

I picked a 590A1 pump, 18 1/2" barrel for the home defense gun. For HD I wanted something simple and reliable and that's what it is.

For her size, you may want to look into a 20 gauge or even something beside a shotgun. Her ability to handle it would be most important in a crisis situation. I .22 LRm (or other) hit on target would be better than a miss with a shotgun.

Loaded - "check" - one in the pipe with any HD, SD or carry firearm is the way to stay prepared IMHO. No confusion about which gun and what you need to do in a stressful situation. Practice, training and getting to that state of mind is a process that each user who chooses that route must work toward themselves with no cutting corners or blind faith wading in. I have a brother who believes in "warning" shots. We talk. We do drills and go to the range. He still believes in warning shots. *sigh*

mingaa said:
He still believes in warning shots. *sigh*

Warning shots can land you in a lot of legal trouble depending on the laws in your area.

i.e. if you had the time to make a warning shot you were not in imminent danger of physical harm and therefor not justified in using deadly force.

Been there - said that! I'll send him the link. He sure as hell won't listen to me and when hIs wife backs him up I grab a beer and change the subject. Truth is he's in a nasty part of Ft Myers FL - a development that died with the economy. He's spinning good real estate deals, buying short sales and making them rentals but the place is dead and not half complete and the crime rate is rising. Arg, family and advise.

I would argue the auto is better--slightly quicker follow up shot, easier to use one-handed, etc., with the proviso that the shooter has the will and capacity to do a little better job on cleaning and lubing and spend a little more time and money on break-in.

Cost wise, which is a big deal for most people, the pump is the hands-down winner and will remain the king of HD.

I would try to shoot both and see which one you and your wife naturally take to. Then with practice, it will be easier to master. If you were to go with a pump there are plenty of reduced recoil HD rounds out there. I am 6ft and 265lbs and absolutely hate shooting buckshot and slugs out of my 500. The bruise me up quite a bit and if you become afraid of shooting you won't practice. I practice with field loads and reduced recoil buck but load with Winchester supreme buck. Good luck on your choice.

ETA: Don't get caught up with 12 gauges either. A 20 gauge is nothing to laugh at and is plenty deadly. Recoil will be less.

Back