• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best feeding semi-auto .22LR rounds?

Tom396

.30-06
I'm asking because I'm too cheap to test them myself and I want my next .22LR purchase to be a pretty good sized one (hate to buy 500 or more rounds of something that just jams every other round). The Remington Viper seems to do well for me in my 702 Plinkster. What other cheap(er) rounds do a really good job of reliably cycling semi-auto actions? Thanks and take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom,

In my Ruger 10/22 I like the CCI Stinger, or Velociter. Not sure how "Cheap" they are now, but I got about 2000 rounds a few years back for a pretty good price. I have never had any issues with them.

Frank

Honestly it'll depend on your firearm.

Probably not what you wanted to read, but it's all relative. Most of my .22s eat anything, including cheap bulk rounds. Only problem I've ever had is my Remy 597 won't eat Remington ammo. Go figure, the rest of my .22s eat the Remy ammo just fine.

Best all-around bulk ammo I've found so far is the 40gr Federal AutoMatch. If you can find it, runs about $15 per 350 round box...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Best all-around bulk ammo I've found so far is the 40gr Federal AutoMatch. If you can find it, runs about $15 per 350 round box...

Frank Castle said:
Tom, In my Ruger 10/22 I like the CCI Stinger, or Velociter. Not sure how "Cheap" they are now, but I got about 2000 rounds a few years back for a pretty good price. I have never had any issues with them. Frank

Thanks for the responses. I think the CCI ammo is probably bulletproof (pardon the pun), but it is kinda pricey. 4 cents per round, for that "Auto Match" stuff, sounds perfect to me. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Take care. Tom Worthington.

It'd be easier for me to tell you what won't work in a semi-auto

CCI quiets
They definately hold up to their name (quiet), but don't have enough oomph to cycle the bolt and you manually have to cycle yourself.

Aguila Colibri
Same reason. No powder, just primer---also, don't use it in a rifle at all due to possible squib's. I reserve them for pistol only.

Aguila 60 gr SSS cycles good, but is too heavy to stabilize out of most 1:16 twist 22LR barrels. Work good with 1:12 and 1:9 AR15 barrels and conversion kit.

My 702 is happy with most name brand stuff. I like fast 36-40gr to 75 yds (Win, Fed, Cci...) And fast flat loads to 100 like CCI Stingers - that with limited 22 LR experience but a fair amount of time in the drivers seat. The real story ( sorry to say) is what works for you and your gun. Period. =^}

Top shelf information! Thank you for the excellent responses. If there are more opinions, I'm all ears. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Lots work great and you’re going to have to buy a couple small boxes to find out what your 22 likes, 22 are individuals more than most firearms. Keep them clean and as long as the feed ramp likes the nose than they usually shoot most rounds. If I am going blind into a new or unknown 22 it’s ALWAYS CCI Mini Mags for me. All my 22's live on Remington Golden Bullets though

I work in a gun shop and most of the weapon manufacturers recommend CCI Mini Mags. They are listed as around 1600 fps which provides the power to cycle the bolts or slides on anything.

However, I have found that if you run CCI mini Mags during break in (400 about rnds) everything gets worn in and burrs removed and the weapon cycles easier. (Recoil springs end up settling out at about 70% of initial poundage, lightening recoil load.) Once the weapon is worn or broken in you can try cheaper ammo with slower projectile, like the cheap packs with 1240fps velocity. If they run then you are safer to buy tons of rnds.

This has worked well for me and people I have recommended it to.

CW

It varies for me with each gun.

My pistols all like the MiniMags. The shorter barrels need a little more omph to cycle well. Federal Bulk packs work most of theim as well.

My rifles seem to like the Federal Bulk Packs.

Only rounds I avoid are Remington bulk packs and Winchester Wildcats. They just seem to gum up everything I shoot them in.

Marlin Model 60 has always fed CCI Stingers and Mini Mags. The Federal 325 Bulk Pack fed flawlessly too! I personally avoid Remington stuff, it seems to be extremely dirty. Winchester 555 and 333 shot pretty well but I had better results with CCI and Federal stuff

LGS finally got some .22LR back on the shelf. $5.95 for 50 Winchester Wildcats and $7.95 for 50 Remington Cyclones. :cry: Naturally, they are out of stock, but Midway gets $2.19 for the Wildcats and $3.09 for the Cyclones. I think I may be ill. Take care. Tom Worthington.

The Remington golden bullets that I buy at Walmart 225 for $10, run fine in my advantage arms glock conversion kit.

The Federal Auto -Match stuff works flawlessly in mine. Just a couple bucks more than the cheap stuff at walmart.

If I'm just putting holes in paper I'll shoot whatever is the cheapest - if it matters, I like CCI Stingers and CCI Mini Mags.

Just an FYI: some firearms can be damaged by high velocity and certainly hyper-velocity ammo over an extended period of time. Most all .22 autoloaders are blow back designed. Basically some engineer figured out a certain spring weight that the recoil of the round has to overcome in order to cycle. Any energy over that amount (including a fatigued spring) batters the frame of the gun. Many gun owners replace the recoil springs on a round count basis in addition to watching what you shoot out of it. I have seen expensive guns turned into paper weights due to cracked frames. It is a good idea to read the owners manual as many address this. If your pistol or rifle will cycle on standard velocity ammo (most excel with it), I would strongly recommend using it. CCI Standard Velocity offers good function and accuracy at a modest cost. A LGS currently has some on sale for 27.99 for 500. This is close what bulk costs. Hope this helps.

All I know is stay away from Winchester.
I bought the last three 50 pack boxes from this general country store.. (Just to have a few extras seeing as it's hard as hell to find .22 LR right now)

Anyways, went out to shoot because it was warm and I wanted to get outside.. Needless to say, it jammed just about every other round. Now my pistol is a well known jamming semi-auto, but I've ran other rounds without problems.. I guess they're just there for REALLY desperate times.

Can't go wrong with CCI or Federal.. At this point and time though, I'd get what I could and be happy.. lol

I also had good luck with Remington Subsonic Hollow points.. My pistol didn't jam at all with those.

CCI mimi mags for me. Ruger 10/22 with gm bull barrel and I can empty a mag of them on a quarter at 100 yds and never worry about misfeeds or fte...

Back