• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

10/28, I'll own a Mossberg

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Waiting to hear from you!! How do you like it? Where's a pic?? :)

Haven't fired it yet. I'll be taking it on the skeet range this Friday... long-barrel-snobs be damned. ;-)

I did over-oil it a bit... the stuff's been running out of the safety and the trigger for a couple days now.

I like the fit, though. It comes up real nice to my cheek...

590.JPG

Yeah some people care , but dont neglect the ones of us that dont or didnt ;)

Well...finally a picture !!

Let the oil drain a bit and give us a range report...before Thanksgiving !! ;)

SHOOTER13 said:

It'll be on the skeet range on Friday, although I'm waiting for the OC gun show at the end of the month to buy slugs and buckshot... so anything more will have to be after thanksgiving. ;-(

I love my 590. Never have felt I needed the -A1 version so I could do something with it better than what mine could do just as well.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Only 4 more days and a wake up call!

Military Service?

SHOOTER13 said:

One of the users at Calguns.net has set up an ongoing series of skeet classes at BBB skeet range in El Monte, CA with one of the coaches (Don Ziegler).

The classes are very low cost, and they are excellent classes. Not just "excellent for the cost", but truly great training. I can't wait til the next one.

Today was my second class. Last time I borrowed an over/under, today I brought my 20" 590.

I got some odd looks, some comments. Nothing rude, but a couple of the guys had very nice skeet guns, mine was the only synthetic stock, and everybody has an opinion. The funny thing was, one person would tell me it makes skeet "too easy", another would tell me it makes skeet "too hard"... Coach Ziegler summed it up nicely: "Some people shoot those well, some people don't." One guy gave some very helpful advice about how inexpensive it would be to get a longer barrel... but didn't enlighten me as to how that would help. ;-)

In the morning session I took between 20 to 25 shots spread between stations 1-3, all low-house singles. (this is the warmup/training portion of the class). I missed ONE. Last class, I was definitely last-place in the class for the morning session, today I was up near (or on) the top.

In the afternoon session, we ended up shooting a full round of skeet in the rain, with pretty heavy winds. I swear the clays were making defensive maneuvers. I didn't do as well, hit about 60-70% of my targets, scored roughly 16 in the skeet round... although I think I got all the doubles... might have missed one. with all the worry about hitting targets and proper form, I kind of forgot to keep real accurate score. ;-)

The amazing thing to me was, pumping was a lot easier then I expected. I'm not a shotgun guy. This is maybe the 4th time in my life I've touched a shotgun, and my first skeet class was with an O/U, so I thought for sure I'd screw up the pumping: forget to do it, do it slow, have to think about it, etc... I never even thought about it or noticed doing it, but I did it every time when needed... it's a real natural motion.

The gun fits me real well, comes up to my eye very nicely. This seems strange to me: at 6'6" and 330lbs, most things are not my size. This makes me wonder if the stock 590 is too big for most people?

At any rate, I'm VERY happy right now.

Got home, sprayed some wd-40 into the worky bits to get the rain out, cleaned and dried it off, and it's back in the safe as I type this.

What this has taught me:
1: I don't need to buy another gun to do skeet as a hobby. In fact, I like the idea of using this for skeet because, if I ever did need this shotgun in an emergency, I'd like the gun I practice with to be the gun I go to... not some fancy range-only piece.
2: I don't need the pistol grip. The stock grip is very nice, fits me well, and why mess with a good thing?
3: the kick wasn't too bad. I shot... 100 rounds (ish) today with the stock buttpad, and my shoulder isn't sore from the kick.
4: my shoulders are, however, sore from hosting the dang thing for 5 hours. I need to lift more weights.

13.jpg

25.jpg

BigFatGuy said:
The gun fits me real well, comes up to my eye very nicely. This seems strange to me: at 6'6" and 330lbs, most things are not my size. This makes me wonder if the stock 590 is too big for most people?

Yup! Pretty much! :lol: I'm about 5' 10" at 215 lbs and the factory 14 3/8" LOP is something I can work with, but uncomfortable. My cheek weld suffers as well as getting the stock to pocket on my chest. The Hogue short LOP has been a lifesaver here!

BigFatGuy said:
1: I don't need to buy another gun to do skeet as a hobby. In fact, I like the idea of using this for skeet because, if I ever did need this shotgun in an emergency, I'd like the gun I practice with to be the gun I go to... not some fancy range-only piece.

Exactly and eloquently summed up! Same here and I'm using my 590 with a magazine plug to hunt with! It isnt ideal, but I know my effective ranges and its limitations...

Sounds like you had a really goood time, well done! Great pics and range report BFG!!! Thanks!

Back