• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

146B(a)

Why is the 146B listed as taking SHORT, LONG and LONG RIFLE but the 146B(a) is only designated for SHORT and LONG RIFLE. What did they do to the 146B(a)??????

The only actual change to the rifle was the switch from the S107 to the new S137 rear sight in 1954. The exploded parts diagram shows that all parts are interchangeable...

Parts Diagram: Mossberg Model 146B/146B-A

Only thing I can think of would be the timing of when .22lr finally made .22 long obsolete. The .22lr's higher muzzle energy gave it the edge in performance as a hunting and target round, but the price difference was in favor of .22 long for some time. Once the price advantage was gone, most shooters and the ammo industry moved to the .22lr almost entirely. Again not sure of the timing here, but it would make sense that firearms manufacturers might have dropped .22 long from their item descriptions as a result. If you look at the original hangtag for each rifle, the only thing to change from one year to the next is that .22 long is completely dropped from the literature...

Hangtag: Mossberg Model 146B

Hangtag: Mossberg Model 146B-A

All that said, I don't see any reason why the 146B-A will not still properly cycle .22 long rounds...

Re: 146B First Gun

My first "gun" was a 146B......It took 6 mos. to save the $28.95 (1955). I selected the Mossberg because it had "more" of everything vs a Remington or Winchester. Longer barrel, larger magazine capacity, all sorts of "sight combinations", sling swivels and monty carlo stock! I had that rifle until 1963, when I traded it towards a Marlin 39-ADL lever action (I still have). I always had my eye open for another 146B, however, the only ones I ever found looked like baseball bats! Then, last November I came apon a 346B (not quite the same as a 146B, but close enought) that was super clean at Cabella's....Had to have it! Shoots greats and brings back many fond memories.

welcome from NY. great story. glad for the memories. if you get a chance we all would love to see some pics. :)

Back