• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2012 Build Project early Kick OFF!

SoCal Choppas

.270 WIN
So I decided to build my first AR variant and my head hurts NOW...soooo many options and opinions!

So far:

Aero Precision Lower
Palmetto State Armory Lower Build Kit with Magpul MOE Stock Olive Drab
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul ASAP

IMG_4719.JPG

Very nice SoCal!

Looking forward to seeing your build come together. Keep us posted on your progress...

Wow..that was easy!

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

December15201102

IMG_4722.JPG

I was originally going to build it using Magpul Field Dark Earth furniture, that's why I have those color Pmags, but that's way too common around here along with all black. I'm so glad I went with OD!

now the hard part...What UPPER?! My head hurts again........

9mm Upper.....or 5.56 Nato, Wylde, 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist in Mid length or Rifle length?, Stainless Barrel match grade or Chrome lined? Dissipator or Mock Dissipator? Flash Hider or Muzzle brake compensator, ......UGggggg!

I built my first one a while back using a Aero Precision lower as well.

I ended up with a DPMS upper and have been happy with it. I opted for a 5.56 as it allowed me to shoot 223 as well.

My next one will be an AR pistol and am leaning towards a BCM upper for that one.

Looking forward to following the rest of your build

Looking good so far! Keep us updated on what upper you end up deciding on.

Whats the difference in the twist ratio...pros n cons of 1:7 vs 1:9? Im starting my first ar build very soon

The 1:7 will stabilize a heavier buller better then a 1:9. A lot of 1:9's will lose it around 65 grains where a 1:7 will keep things stable up into the 80 grain range.

This will also vary according to the individual barrel and ammo used. You have to play with it to find out the limits of your particular gun/ammo combination.

cool thanks

so whats the benefit of a higher twist ratio then? faster twist for better accuracy over distance with a lighter bullet?

robtech87 said:
cool thanks

so whats the benefit of a higher twist ratio then? faster twist for better accuracy over distance with a lighter bullet?

The faster twist (1 in 7") will stabilize the heavier 69+ gr ammo better than the 1 twist in 9" of barrel.

Even a 1:9 will shoot the heavy stuff, but at longer distances, often are not very accurate the farther you get out.

For close up distances (about 50 yards or so), they all shoot everything about the same.

Just FWIW, most surplus ammo works fine with either twist. It's just the 75 gr and 77 grain stuff that has a hard time with the slower 1:9 twist barrels. But as I mentioned, most surplus (cheap) ammo weighs 55 or 62 gr.

Hey Socal, this looks nice. Do you know what bullet button you are going to use? I am going to do the same thing. I purchased a stripped lower from JD Machine here in San Diego and got a standard bullet button from them as well. For those that do not know what I am talking about in Cali you have to make the rifle so you can't take the mag out without using a tool unless you build a "featureless" rifle which means no pistol grip or any thing else that makes it look like an assault rifle. Oh and no mags larger than 10 rounds. I have been doing a lot of research on Calguns.net which is helping but the laws are so fubar'ed that it is hard for me to track down what I need to do. I am new to Ca. and I own an AR that is still on the east coast and I can't use the lower because the Ca. D.O.J. will not allow it in the state just because on the name on the lower, so I have to disassemble the gun and leave the stripped lower with my brother then put it back together when I come back. The weather is nice here about 80 degrees today but if I had known it would be this screwed up I might have stayed on the east coast. Good luck and keep us posted on the build!!!!

I got the standard "Bullet Button"..I was going to go with a Raddlock one or the many variants of them; I didn't want to be a accidental felon..just incase the nut loosened and it becomes a standard mag release, it's easy enough to replace the Bullet button with a standard mag release should I leave the state.

I was going to buy a complete upper, but decided to build my own...so far I got an aero precision lower and I have an aero precision complete upper receiver assembly on order from Surplus ammo and arms to match my lower. For a barrel, 5.56 Nato and looking at DSA Nitride fluted barrels or PSA Hammer forged FN barrel in 16-20" middy to rifle length gas block. 1/8 or 1/9 twist, since I plan on running just surplus type ammo in 55gr range. Also considering some sort of Free Float rail system on a budget, but looking for a narrow one. For muzzle...not sure if I will go with a flash hider (Yankee Hill 5C2) or a brake (Rainier Arms XTC).

Build Update: Aero Precision Upper Receiver, Yankee Hill Machine FF Rifle Length Hand guard, Surplus Ammo & Arms BCG, HK Sights (Until I get Optics), and YHM Phantom Flash Hider:

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

Still looking/waiting for a Mid Priced 16" Barrel 1:8 Twist...leaning towards DSA, Rainier Arms or Black Hole Weaponry

Thanks!

Spikes..Noted and Palmetto State Armory FN too.

The HK sights are from my HK SL8-1, since I replaced it with a G36 Dual Sight Carry Handle.

Hey SoCal, I hear you on the felon thing, I just do not understand the state laws and how very unclear they are. What mags did you go with and how much were they? thanks cb

I have two 10 round Bushmaster mags and two 10/20 round Magpul PMags built to only accept 10 rounds.

I got the Pmag rebuilt kits and Mag limiters from Exile Machine, one of the best prices around.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/magpul-pmag-10-rd-limiter-blk-3pk-2820.html

If you order Mags over 10 rounds and they are to be shipped to California, they will automatically send them as rebuild kits. DO NOT ASSEMBLE THEM WITHOUT THE 10 ROUND LIMITERS!!

I suggest you check out: Calguns forum and read up.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Back