• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2018 Arizona Dove Hunt With New 20ga LH 500

Even though there weren't that many doves flying in my area my 20ga lefthand 500 did pretty good using 7 1/2s through a IC choke. The only problem I ran into is when I'm waiting between shots I have my barrel up with the stock on my hip. Holding the gun like that my thumb is way over the top safety and I got distracted twice when I drew down on incoming birds and I couldn't push the safety forward being my thumb was position on the wrong side. I guess from using double barrels I tend to pop the safety before I shoulder the gun. I'm thinking about swapping out the low profile OEM safety for that aftermarket one with the high center tab for more positive thumb contact.2018 Dove Hunt.jpg

Nice one
So while your here ??? Im left handed shooter now with long guns but i own zero lefty guns, do you feel the benefit worth transitioning to a couple left handed models ? Ive considered a lefty bolt rifle awhile. Penny for ypur thpughts sir.

Last edited:
No not really but if the gun has a crossbolt safety it has to be reversible for me to use it. I got the LH mossberg because first, I wanted it and second. I never had a left handed gun before. It was nice not to have shells flying pass my face but it never bothered me before. As for bolt action rifles I did the reach over thing with a 22 but I wouldn't do that if I bought a deer rife. I missed my chance to buy a mint LH model 700 7mm mag for $300 from work and I always regretted that. I had the safeties changed over on all my Browning Auto-5s. I do not like doing that thumb to trigger finger hand flip thing when shooting right hand guns with crossbolt safeties. I did have a 1982 Weatherby over under that had a factory RH cast off stock and I couldn't hit anything with that.

No not really but if the gun has a crossbolt safety it has to be reversible for me to use it. I got the LH mossberg because first, I wanted it and second. I never had a left handed gun before. It was nice not to have shells flying pass my face but it never bothered me before. As for bolt action rifles I did the reach over thing with a 22 but I wouldn't do that if I bought a deer rife. I missed my chance to buy a mint LH model 700 7mm mag for $300 from work and I always regretted that. I had the safeties changed over on all my Browning Auto-5s. I do not like doing that thumb to trigger finger hand flip thing when shooting right hand guns with crossbolt safeties. I did have a 1982 Weatherby over under that had a factory RH cast off stock and I couldn't hit anything with that.
I just reach with my bolts been so long its second nature. As for casted double guns yes thats a no doubt must be proper. If i run across a pumper lefty i may just grab one and give it a go though.
Ps love the Az landscape always had a soft spot for Arizona.

Looks like you didn't let the safety slow you down very much. Looks like a nice haul.

Back