• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.22 Mag CCI Rattle

Caved in at last and brought a .22Mag Rifle at long last, have been thinking about one for the past 40 years, and finally saw a Remington 597 HB the other day at a good price and decided to get it. Picked up a brick of CCI 40 JHP and set out to see just what we had. Range report might come latter but the first thing that I noticed was the infernal rattle the spare ammo made. On the basis that there had to be a better way I gave it some thought.

First premise was that I wanted to keep using the box as I like the control it gives. Looking more closely I took an empty box, marked where the support lugs were and them removed the tray. A few strokes with a 5/16 chainsaw file let the tray slide down into the box till it sat about 3/4 of the way down. This holds the end of the cases and stops them knocking together. A bit of cloth placed in the bottom first stops them knocking against the lid. Now I can carry a box or two with me without letting the whole world know I am on the prowl.

.22mag is probably my favorite round. Been shooting it since '74 in my Win 9422M. There's been some significant improvements in them since then, including the ballistic tip 30gr. Hornady V-Max that flattens the trajectory and gives you an extra 25 yds range - ~2200fps mv, from a 20" barrel, and still supersonic out to about 130yds. The 45gr Hornady Critical Defense is a hard hitter at closer ranges. The 40gr CCI JHP is also an excellent choice that I've fired a lot of. I'd suggest you pick up a box or 3 of the Hornady and try them out.

Ive got a Marlin 882. One of my favorite guns. Unfortunately 22 mag is scarce and expensive now. Definitely my favorite critter getter though.

As I said it is a second hand rifle but it is in the heavy barrel and brown laminate stock configuration. It is also fitted with a suppressor, something we are allowed to do down here with out a problem. I have only fired a few rounds down it so far as it has been a bit wet and just managed to get out between showers. So far it would appear to be more capable of doing the job than I am. It is mainly for some pest control work where the range is a bit of an ask for the LR. The only problem I have had is that they slipped up and gave me the old mag instead of the new one that was supposed to come with the rifle. The current mag follower is worn to the point that the guide bars are rounded off which allow it to jamb and create feed issues, I have managed to correct this with some tape stuck inside the mag to reduce the gap at the end of the follower, seems to work alright but there is a new mag waiting for me to pick up anyway. Seeing just how the follow is worn I am thinking I might use some sort of Teflon style spray in there to try and reduce the wear.

GG we are suffering a bit of a shortage like you guys, or is it because of you guys, anyway unfortunately the only brands we have at the moment is CCI and some Winchester (Aust). Did get some CCI TNT rounds so hope that they will work as one of the jobs coming up is in a semi residential area where we need to knock the rabbits back.

I run a suppressor on my 597 as well.

It's scary quiet with subsonic rounds and even standard velocity are barely audible...

I love my 22 magnums. To eliminate the rattle in my CCI bricks, I stretched out a cotton ball until it was just a thin flat piece, and laid it in the bottom of the case. That way I didn't alter the brick. I reuse them all the time. I keep 100 rounds of each ammo brand I have in one of the cases. I just tear off an end tag from the box they came from, and slip it between the cartridges and the sliding lid. That way I always know exactly what ammo is in each brick.

Back