• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.223 Rem / 5.56 NATO Results

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Went out today to sight in my new M&P 15 Sport chambered in 5.56 NATO. Turned out to be a family event where my dad, soon to be brother in law and his son + friend went out together.

I was basically able to zero in the iron sights for 50 yards between letting the others shoot my gun and I theirs. Here's the target using PMC .223 ammo in 55 grain:

7866087276_94dccae501.jpg

Got to shooting at the 100 yard mark with the irons. I could not tell my hits with my crappy binoculars so I had to wait until the cease fire was called to walk down and see what the target looked like:

7866092898_205dc3f4df.jpg

Not great grouping but I'm thinking the 100 yard spot is probably all me with irons as I handed over my rifle rest to one of the other guys and I was using my ammo box which was a little high for me. But it was a great day and at least I was hitting a fairly small target with irons from 100 yards away!

I also tried Wolf .223 65 grain but I didnt take a snap shot because that target became fair game with the others and there were so many holes after the cease fire you couldn't tell what was PMC, Wolf, .223 or 7.62x39 going through it. BUT it function fine, all wolff went bang but the groupings at 50 yards were a bit more disbursed so the PMC is definitely more accurate.

If you got results please post it would be great to see what other ammo is performing.

Nice man!

A curiosity, were you able to tell from your targets the differences between sightin in at 50 yards to POA/POI at 100 yards?

I have some targets somewhere, if i can find them, theyll be our sightin in targets at 25 yards. I've found that 25 yards is about the same as 85 to 100 yards, but I have to hold low at 50 yards. Once I was sighted in at 25 yards, my first shot at 85 yards took out my target. I was usin clays at that range so no paper proof.

Our ammo is usually American Eagle Tac .223 55 gr. or Fed Lake City XM193 5.56 55 gr.

No it was chaotic at the range especially with so many in my group. I will next time I go solo.

They don't have a 25 yard post to sight in. Only 25 post is on the pistol side. I probably could sight in during the winter. However the only adjustment I made was turning the front post one click clockwise because it was shooting low at the 50. I'll see how much of a difference that makes at the 100.

To be noted the PMC 5.56 has tighter groups than the .223

I have some privi coming soon I will see how that groups.

Water Monkey~

First of all it's really enjoyable to see you shooting so well with a new rifle!

Would you be interested in zeroing your rifle so that would have your impacts less than +/- two inches from muzzle out to around 255 yards with iron sights? Your POA and POI will be dead on at 50- and 225-yards and everything else will be within 1.8" if you're shooting well.

It was developed by a Col Santose of the USMC and it's a snap to accomplish.

Originally it was called the Improved BattleSight Zero (IBZ) but there is also what is known as the Revised Battle Sight Zero (RIBZ). These work. I encourage you to at least consider it.

I was thinking about posting the IBZ/RIBZ topic as a standalone thread which might be made a sticky. It's a bit mind-numbing to read initially but is a vast improvement over the traditional short range zero or the old military standard. Once you fight your way thru the first few charts and graphs it all starts coming together.

Here's a linkie..........
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65679

Schweet I'll be reading intently this week. Now I'm gonna have to sneak away to the range this weekend to do this.

Thank you!

I like shooting with irons. They don't run on batteries and I can spend more on ammo to train :)

Looked at it real quick will I have difficulty doing this with the magpul mbuis rear sight which came with my rifle

Dang NiteSite! Thats some good info there!

I hadnt thought that by sightin in to 25 yards I am to some extent handicapping my rifles performance! I mean, it makes total sense and all, just hadnt thought about it or considered it.

My problem would be just bein able to see that far without magnified optics which would make this altogether different, otherwise I too have the MBUS. Not a big deal, just cant use the mil-system.

The ballistic info and sight in techniques however are good stuff! I'm certain its worthy of its own thread!

Thanks man!

Here's a much "cleaner" HOW TO from the original developer, LTC Santose that is short and very easy to follow. I know the charts and graphs are a real pill to digest.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=599

BTW, anyone with removeable carry handles or M4 sights might have to adjust the clicks "times two" in some cases because the adjustments are 1/2 MOA @ 100 meters on A2 Fixed Handle sights and 1/4 MOA @ 100 meters on some A3/M4 sights.

I like the IBZ because practically NOBODY shoots at 300 meters and beyond, but a lot of us wouldn't hesitate to shoot from 50-225 yards.

Using Magpul BUIS and other brands can still accomplish much of this principle by zeroing at 50-yards rather than the 25-meter Army standard.

Both sites listed were very helpful. I just ordered an A1 Detachable Rear Sight from Bravo Company to try this out. If I can achieve the groupings like those shown in the first link you posted I'd be super stoked!

Just to reconfirm:

Because the detachable A1 sight settings are a little different the initial setting is:

1) loosen the allen screw (3 full turns) and then turn the elevation knob 4 clicks clockwise (instead of 2). Reason being is that the lowest setting on the integrated sight is 8/3 but on detachables is 6/3.

2) retighten the allen screw and set the elevation knob 4 clicks past the lowest setting (6/3) achieving a -4

3) go to the 50 yard range and sight in. To sight in ONLY adjust the front sight post to get you up or down on your target.

4) After that you are set to fire in RIBZ

Am I getting this all right?

Remember that with an 8/3 elevation drum you start at 8/3 - 3 so for a detatcheable carry handle sight you double and it would be 6/3 -6 if I recall correctly off the top of my head. Double check before you start.

Also, remember this:

"Once you have loosened the index screw, use one hand to hold the allen wrench in place on the screw and with your other hand turn the elevation knob (the bottom part of the elevation drum) 4 clicks clockwise.* You should see the rear sight base moving up while you do this. The elevation index wheel should not move while you are doing this."

On the second link you sent on point # 6 - it states -2 for 8/3.

Let me know if you agree. Maybe both sites may have different #s?

Would this info work on my Mosin Nagant? It's back sites are adjustable irons....
it uses...7.62x54r rounds...
or is there a mathematical way of transfering the 5.56 to 7.62 bullet drop ratio?

OK got some new furniture in. Here's what she looked like before:

7902930848_34668af300.jpg

Got a Magpul MOE Forend and a Magpul Vertical Grip

Got me the LMT A1 Rear Sight

7902932472_d2c41062f9.jpg

Got the LMT sight worked up like it said for RIBZ. 6 clicks past 6/3 gonna hit the 100 and 50 yard range tomorrow afternoon to dial her in properly. Wish me luck... yeah I'll post the results.

nitesite said:
Brad, that is one sweet rifle~

"You come into my house you get my wife's name right!! Cristinith!!!" ~ The Other Guys

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Well Nitesite I think you just helped me name her :D

Back