• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

28" or 30"

Heil

Copper BB
Another question. Would a 28" barrel be suficiante for trap shooting with the right choke or should I look for a 30" barrel? Never got this in depth with my guns before so I'm new to all this.

Thanks Agian

My personal thoughts are that a 28" would be perfectly fine. I am not a PRO at Skeet, Wing, Trap, whatever shooting by any means. I also think that a lot of it comes down to "Personal Preference" and how the shotgun shoulders, swings and shoots.

Either will work fine.

People like longer barrels for clays and wing shooting because they:
1. Give you more realestate to sight down.
2. They give you more weight out front which makes the gun swing a little smoother.

I doubt you will notice a difference between a 28" and 30" barrel, I can't and I've shot quote a bit of skeet over the years. I've shot most of my clays with a 26" barrel and never felt handicapped in any way. I've shot a little trap but mostly skeet.

Itsricmo said:
My personal thoughts are that a 28" would be perfectly fine. I am not a PRO at Skeet, Wing, Trap, whatever shooting by any means. I also think that a lot of it comes down to "Personal Preference" and how the shotgun shoulders, swings and shoots.

OK well I am a pro at clay games :lol:
Not really but I have won a few trophies and a bit of money shooting at those orange birds.

Itsricmo is absolutely 100% correct a 28" barrel will serve you fine starting out with all the clay games.
As you get better you will realize that if you want to get real good at any of the games then you will get specialized guns for each game.

I should also point out that I learned to shoot Trap with my first 500. It had a Mod choke and a 28" barrel. I did OK with it and learned the game and how to bust clays with it. Trap is a game of birds rising so a flat shooting 500 is not the best gun for the game so I stepped up to a gun made for the game.

Every now and then I teach someone the game of Trap and break out that 500 to teach them with.
On a good day I can run 25 straight with it but it is a bit light for shooting hundreds of rounds in competition a day.

I hope that this helps and if you need any other clay breaking advice please ask.

Itsricmo said:
Don't guys use a 24" .410 for some skeet (28 gauge is a popular load too for the serious guys)??

I really only shoot skeet for the fun of it.
But in the winter I shoot a lot of it!
I almost always use a 500 for it.
When I shoot the 500 in .410, it has a 24" fixed full barrel that makes the game extremely challenging.
Not the barrel length but the choke and the fact that it is .410

Short barrels in skeet were very popular back in the day and plenty of people still use shorter barrels for the game.

Some Skeet people feel that 28ga is the perfect gauge for the game.

In competitive Skeet you shoot 4 gauges 12, 20, 28 and .410.
The nice thing about the game is that you can shoot a smaller gauge in larger gauge competition.
Since the smaller gauge is considered tougher to compete with.

The .410 is VERY difficult to shoot high scores with but the 28 in the right hands can do a great job.
Because of this people shoot a 28 in 28, 20 & 12 gauge competition.

This is why the 28 is considered the perfect gauge.

Huh, some neat and useful information for the OP if he plans on shooting in competition some day! I didn't know smaller gauges could be used in the higher gauge comps.

Back