• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.41 mag range report

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
First off please don't make fun of my lousy accuracy. :oops: I don't shoot this canon much since it's about a dollar/shot. Need more practice obviously. I tended to buck the first 3 or 4 shots, so scattered some, and the sights were off low and left. The last 4 are not bad considering. All shots from 10 yds.

sightingin1.jpg

Then moved on to the impact test. Shooting a little low and left the first 5 shots.

But the Underwood 210gr blew thru six 1" thick pine boards like they were tissue paper.

Click URL for Video.

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/43gm94l/media/Misc/impact1.mp4.html

Stills:

boards1.jpg

boards2.jpg

A couple more better placed shots and the water jug springs a leak and the cinder block disintegrates

boardsback.jpg

Box O' Truth style... I like it! You know Gunny, I wouldn't sweat your accuracy, I'm pretty sure that if this were Mr. Bad Guy he would be having a bad day!

DAMN Gunny, now that's some firepower! :twisted:

Thanks for taking the time to set it up and document it for us...

Thanks. I was hoping I could trap a slug or 2, but they disappeared into the woods, and I'm not inclined to hunt for 'em. :( Would have liked to check them for weight and expansion. Might do a do-over with more boards or use a hardwood to catch them. Got plenty of cutoffs from projects that usually end up getting burned.

,,,like AK said,,,,that bad guy is done.......nice shooin' gunny. :D

Forgot to mention that the recoil from the hot Underwood rounds wasn't noticeably different from the Federal, even tho the Underwood steps out about 400fps faster for the same bullet weight (210gr). I'd expected a heavier kick, but was pleasantly surprised. :) I think the same would be true of their other more popular ammo such as .357, .44, etc.

For anyone looking for a hotter round, and interested in the details, they use new Starline brass, and a pretty clean burning powder. Very little residue in the barrel after this session. I'd recommend them. :)

Re: .41 mag range report - Updated

Just for fun, I put 3 rounds of .22 mag in the boards before I took them apart, to see what kind of penetration I'd get. 1 round each from top to bottom circled: 40gr FMJ, 30gr Hornady Ballistic tip, 40gr CCI JHP.

Don't let anyone tell you a .22 mag won't hurt. ;)

The fmj stuck in board 4, the other 2 stuck in board 5

Looking at the entry side of each board:

DSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2111.jpg

DSCN2110.jpg

Back