• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

4x4 stock

jcross

Copper BB
I have a 25-06 4x4 (my young sons rifle) with the vented synthetic stock. The stock touches the barrel all the way down the left side. I've emailed Mossberg about a better stock, I've thought about sanding it down that side and glass bedding a couple inches of the barrel or sell it/trade it. Suggestions?

jcross said:
I have a 25-06 4x4 (my young sons rifle) with the vented synthetic stock. The stock touches the barrel all the way down the left side. I've emailed Mossberg about a better stock, I've thought about sanding it down that side and glass bedding a couple inches of the barrel or sell it/trade it. Suggestions?

Welcome to the forum from NY.
Is it a new rifle? What was Mossberg's reply?

Thanks for replying. Yes, the rifle was bought new last September and it would shoot ok and then I would get a flyer every now and then. I haven't heard back from Mossberg yet.

Let us know what Mossberg has to say. I would say though that the flyer is related to the stock touching the barrel. I see no problem with sanding the stock so the barrel is totally free floating.

Personally, I'd push Mossberg to make it right.

If the stock is warped or the action is improperly seated, that's a production issue and it should be on the manufacturer to correct the problem. Once you begin modifying the condition of the rifle you will essentially be voiding your factory warranty and freeing Mossberg from any and all liability. It's your call, but we have a contact at Mossberg that should be able to help...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Get in touch with Joe and let him know what's going on. They'll likely ask you to send the rifle in for inspection and repair, so make sure to ask for a pre-paid shipping label. Keep us posted.

...on a side note...

Free-floating makes a huge difference in wood stocks where temperature and humidity variation would otherwise cause the wood to swell and contract at different contact points along the barrel. This change in contact points and the resulting change in barrel harmonics is what causes a shift in point of impact. The shift takes place over time, usually between hunting or range trips and is rarely observed in a single outing. Synthetic stocks are not affected by these environmental changes. The stock's contact with the barrel will alter barrel harmonics, but the contact would remain consistent and so would your shot placement. Your flyers are more likely a result of changes in barrel thermodynamics. Heat can have a major impact on shot placement and certainly cause seemingly random flyers in a single range trip. Establishing a consistent shot cadence will greatly improve consistency on target and help eliminate flyers. How much time do you allow between shots? Also what ammo are you using, brand, bullet type, weight, etc?

Thanks for all of the replies. As far as shot cadence, I let the barrel cool down in between shots and try to be fairly consistent with it. I have noticed generally the first shot is the best shot. The ammo we've used has been Federal 117gr and Hornady 117gr ( I forget the specifics on it, but I try and get pretty good ammo and not vary too much, reloading my own is on the horizon for me).

I did send an email to the gentleman that you suggested, I actually found his email address on another thread. I haven't heard anything back yet. I also haven't heard anything back from Mossberg. I sent these emails about 3 days ago.

Nothing beats a cold bore shot for accuracy!

You might try a few different loads in different bullet weights to see if any of them print better for your barrel...

Finally heard back from Mossberg they said they had a laminate stock for $95 (I think). But, I did also by a Winchester M70 (circa 1976) to replace it.....so........

The 4x4 stock is a big bummer (in my opinion) compared to the more basic ATR stock... I'm talking about the synthetic versions of both. My ATR synth stock is much more rigid in the forend than my flimsy 4x4 stock. I'm about to try sanding the entire forend of my 4x4 stock and layering on epoxy with woven fiberglass (like for auto body and boat repair). That should build it up to make a better mounting shape for a bipod and also stiffen it up. As for the barrel touching one side of the stock, first try loosening both action screws and see if it will center. Then see if you can keep the barrel centered in the stock while you tighten the action screws. If not, definitely time for a more involved solution.

Also, (and this is a biggie) the way the detachable magazine well is sandwiched between the action and stock... well, it SUCKS! It allows side to side wiggle. I went ahead and used JB Weld to solidly attach the magazine well/holder into the stock. This one change took my groups on my .338 from 2-3" at 100yd to under 1". Now if it would quit doing its excessive copper fouling within 10 shots, I'd be getting closer to satisfied with it.

RichardPryor said:
Also, (and this is a biggie) the way the detachable magazine well is sandwiched between the action and stock... well, it SUCKS! It allows side to side wiggle. I went ahead and used JB Weld to solidly attach the magazine well/holder into the stock. This one change took my groups on my .338 from 2-3" at 100yd to under 1". Now if it would quit doing its excessive copper fouling within 10 shots, I'd be getting closer to satisfied with it.

I'm not a huge fan of how that well is in there either. Mine is now stuck in there from when I glass bedded the action. On thing for sure is there is not side to side wiggle in mine at all at this point....

Back