• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

64 YO Shoots and Kills Firefighter in SD.

I'm guessing look alike townhouses!? Excessive drinking, even with a cab ride home still proves out to be a bad idea.

Sounds tragic and sad from any point of view.

Does "firefighter" belong in that headline? You better believe it would have only said " teenage neighbor" if it was a gangbanger. It is legal to fire through the door in self defense? Seems as though that would have been a sticking point. Take care. Tom Worthington

Could have died driving drunk! Just sayin'. Tragic that he was so bombed he couldn't recognize the house wasn't his!!

A cab dropped him off.

I think it is legal in Texas.

I had a cop tell me if I have to shoot someone on my lawn, to drag them to the door to make it look like they were closer. But once they're on your property it's legal. Not sure I agree with that but hey, it is what it is.

At the end of the day she felt threatened and defended herself from a perceived threat. She heard him at the gate and went to get her revolver.

Did she call the cops before, during, or after the shooting?

In NY if you fire through the door... you go to jail... for a long time. They have to actually physically break into your home and be inside to use deadly force and be justified. Only time you can justify deadly force beyond your doorway is if they are committing arson on your house or are committing a rape or robbery outside your home.

And even if you are justified.... jail for the night, grand jury. So you are talking $10-20k in legal expenses. I'm seriously considering a ccw insurance plan. I hope I never have to use a firearm in self defense ever. But if I do I better protect myself legally against the State of NY.

In NY if you fire through the door... you go to jail... for a long time. They have to actually physically break into your home and be inside to use deadly force and be justified. Only time you can justify deadly force beyond your doorway is if they are committing arson on your house or are committing a rape or robbery outside your home.

And even if you are justified.... jail for the night, grand jury. So you are talking $10-20k in legal expenses. I'm seriously considering a ccw insurance plan. I hope I never have to use a firearm in self defense ever. But if I do I better protect myself legally against the State of NY.

If I'm not mistaken, the NRA offers a good deal on a self defense insurance plan. Take care. Tom Worthington

I hate to see articles like this. Very unfortunate...

I think it is legal in Texas.

Texas is my home state.

If someone is on your property, no matter inside or outside of your house, you have the right to use deadly force if your life or even your property is threatened. You can fire through doors, windows, from the roof, it doesn't matter. There was a new "defense of property" law passed in Texas a few years back that states that if someone steals something on your property the use of deadly force is authorized to retrieve said item/s, even if the thief leaves your property.

Long story short... DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

Texas is my future retirement location. That was decided years ago. LES, you're not making me regret that decision.

You'll enjoy living there.

I've been here in TN for the past ten years, but Texas will always be home. We go back to visit family every chance we get...

In KY, you have to be in fear for your life, but we have excellent property protection/castle laws as well.

When I was much younger, the person(s) had to be in your home, but that has (thankfully) changed to be a lot more logical. Now you can defend yourself anywhere yourself is. LOL

In your pickup, in a parking lot, in your yard, in your outhouse, under some dudes wife, etc.

Does "firefighter" belong in that headline? You better believe it would have only said " teenage neighbor" if it was a gangbanger. It is legal to fire through the door in self defense? Seems as though that would have been a sticking point. Take care. Tom Worthington
No offense to anyone that hangs their @$$ out on the line for the rest of us everyday, but "firefighter" certainly doesn't belong in that headline. It's just an attempt to sensationalize and amp up the level of tragedy. It's sad enough that someone died at all. All that headline attempts to do is stir the pot...get people pissed off at each other. And, even worse...to possibly push an agenda. All at the expense of the poor lady who I'm sure is regretting ending the life of her neighbor (though might do it again if pressed by an invader? who knows?) and the family of the dead man.

IMHO, unfortunately and tragically...the guy bears the responsibility for his own actions and ultimately his own demise. Assuming that he was indeed innocent of mal-intent, I hope his "friends" feel some measure of responsibility for allowing him to go home alone in such a blitzed condition.

I've done more for mere acquaintances over the years...as I'm sure many you have as well.

Sad all the way around.

Last edited:
^^^^Absolutely! Well said yourself!

Ok...where's Oli's nickels' worth on this?!?

I agree with the recent comments. Job title had nothing to do with the event and adds nothing to the conversation.

Back