• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Heavy Barrel info/questions

Gonz9731

I have a new (to me) 930 HD (85320). But it's got the old crescent shaped bolt handle.
I'm reading that newer 930s I think, or at least newer SPXs have heavier walled barrels.
Were the HD models upgraded with these new HBars? Or were they limited to only SPXs?
Anyone know how I can tell if I have the HBar if the HDs were upgraded to them ?

TIA

-Gonz

Howdy @Gonz9731 .

Your 930 HD model 85320 has the standard weight blued home security barrel. The 930 Tactical, model 85336, is similar to yours but has the heavy walled barrel. The heavy barrels typically have a matte blue or parkerized finish compared to the blued finish found on standard barrels...

Howdy @Gonz9731 .

Your 930 HD model 85320 has the standard weight blued home security barrel. The 930 Tactical, model 85336, is similar to yours but has the heavy walled barrel. The heavy barrels typically have a matte blue or parkerized finish compared to the blued finish found on standard barrels...

Thank you. To clarify though; can the barrel be blued AND Matte?
The barrel on this Mossy seems Park'd. It's a VERY black blue if it is blued. It's VERY similar to my 500 Breacher barrel for ref is that Blued? I'm guessing that's Park'd as well.
OK JUST REREAD. It can be blue and matte. So this barrel for the sake of future ref and conversation is the Std (weight) HD barrel with Matte Blue or Park'd finish. If this is different than what "should" be lets update our databases here in case this comes up again or someone else has a similar issue.
The finish; either way to be honest I'm happy with. Even if blued it appears Park'd so I'm content with that. But I'm going to understand that there's no Heavy/upgraded barrels for the HD?
I'm trying to both date which gen my gun is from and make sure that there's not a sturdier barrel available for in the HD type.

Thank you LES again. There's little HD info I can find here. A ton I can try to get from the many SPX threads and then the Tactical threads. But the HDs seem rare. Any otherplain jane HD owners out there?

Ed to add: are there dimensions I can mic my barrel to compare it to?

Ok I looked at both boxes;

500 Cruiser bbl 18" plain
Gun is describedas "matte"
The 85320; Gun is Matte
BBL1 has no finish description.

To complicate things the cruiser page has a dropdown menu for Matte or Blue and the 85320 is listed as blue (as LES) said.

After all of this I think I'm just lucky and got a matte blued barrel as opposed to the Std blue barrel.

Here's a pic of my matte blue 930 Tactical barrel above the park'd barrel on my 590A1...

Your 930 and 500 breacher should be matte blue. The finishes are virtually identical except for a slight, almost greenish tint to the parkerized finish which is usually found on 590A1 barrels. There are not supposed to be any heavy barrels on the 930 HD models, but that doesn't make it impossible. Outside of the 590A1, most of the heavy barrels present on other models are almost always breachers. There are some model 500 breachers that do feature 590A1 heavy barrels, but they will have the 590/835 style mag tube cap as pictured above. If it's one thing we've learned about Mossberg it's that they are very consistent about being inconsistent...

Here's a pic of my matte blue 930 Tactical barrel above the park'd barrel on my 590A1...

Your 930 and 500 breacher should be matte blue. The finishes are virtually identical except for a slight, almost greenish tint to the parkerized finish which is usually found on 590A1 barrels. There are not supposed to be any heavy barrels on the 930 HD models, but that doesn't make it impossible. Outside of the 590A1, most of the heavy barrels present on other models are almost always breachers. There are some model 500 breachers that do feature 590A1 heavy barrels, but they will have the 590/835 style mag tube cap as pictured above. If it's one thing we've learned about Mossberg it's that they are very consistent about being inconsistent...

Awesome thank you. I have the 590/835 style Mag tube cap on my 500 Breacher (off topic question what then makes the 500 a 500 and not a 590? I have a 590A1 also and the 2 are identical and I've switched internals, FCG pins, forearms repeatedly.)
Ok so all seems good so far then. The 500 cruiser with Breacher barrel and 930HD have the Matte Blue finish. Actually a nicer more consistent finish than on my 590A1 which actually appears a greyer black than the finish on my newer 2 Mossy's now that you mention it.
And no HB for the HD. Ok. I'm so used to seeing the 590A1 barrel and the barrel on the 500 Breacher that the "std" 12Ga bbl on the HD seems anorexic to my eye now.
And as much as I love my Mossy's I completely agree on the inconsistency thing. Guess that makes collecting Mossy's so damn fun. It's kinda like bird watching; you never know what you'll see.

Awesome thank you. I have the 590/835 style Mag tube cap on my 500 Breacher (off topic question what then makes the 500 a 500 and not a 590? I have a 590A1 also and the 2 are identical and I've switched internals, FCG pins, forearms repeatedly.)

No problem.

The only thing that makes a 500 a 500 is that it's roll marked 500 on the under side of the receiver above the loading port. As you've already noted, 590/500 receivers and all internals are the same. The heavy breacher barrel on your 500 is actually a 590a1 barrel. That's why you have the 590/835 mag tube set-up rather than the standard 500 screw in mag tube cap. Glad we were able to shed some light on it for you...

Back